“Avoid if you can”

Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed there for the weekend, while touring NYC. Hotel overall gives overall impression of being a great clean place ... far from it though. Only good thing was the food, breakfast and dinner were great, but other than that ... hotel overall is just not that clean. From bloodied towels, to dirty bed sheets, to a broken sofa bed, a shuttle bus every half hour where every other hotel/motel ran every 15 mins ... definitely would not stay there again, and would recommend to others to avoid if possible.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank itsMoe
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for your candid review and I am sorry that you did not have the experience that we strive to provide, as you can see from the many previous reviews your experience is not typical.
We take all comments on this awesome forum seriously and your review will assist greatly on our journey to provide great experiences to every guest every day.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Manager on Duty during a hotel stay so that the business has every opportunity to make a great impression. Happy traveling.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights. It's a convenient location to Newark Airport, and the shuttle runs every half hour to the airport. The staff is friendly and the breakfast is great. However, the housekeeping in this hotel has got to be the worst I have ever seen!!! To start off the bed sheets for the sofa bed were dirty (dried bodily fluids), but was folded nicely for use. We called them to get new sheets and that arrived about 15 minutes later. The next day, used towels were just hung back up again in the bathrooms..again we called, and got new towels. The ice box was not emptied, and the chair for the desk was not returned to it's place after they vacuumed (did a lousy job at it too). The chair was left a good metre away from the desk. The sheets and covers for the sofabed were literally thrown over, not folded, on the sofa. Dirty and used glasses were not replaced. Even though the lobby looked great, the rooms were in good condition, the housekeeping was worse than a 1 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank D R
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

D R: thank you for taking time out to review your experience with us, as you no doubt read from the many surveys previous to yours, what you experienced is not typical of the service, care or quality that we aspire to.
We truly appreciate all comments on this great forum as they all serve to make our service better, please never hesitate to ask to speak with the Manager on Duty during one's stay to express concerns or to offer commendations. This will greatly benefit the business and service to all guests; current and yet to arrive. Happy traveling.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Rooms are clean ( advance purchase of $119 plus tax ). Pool and jacuzzi were PERFECT!! The shuttle to the airport was right on time with George getting us there safely. Like others have mentioned there are no place to eat within walking distance. However there are a number of delivery options. I chose Tony's pizza, hit the spot. They have info on this at the check-in. Don't hesitate to stay here

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you so much for this awesome review, indeed George is an outstanding associate; he enjoys taking care of our guests every single day with a huge smile, he is a credit to us and I will be sure to commend him accordingly. Happy traveling.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I were flying to Aruba for 8 days. Parked our car in a safe gated area. Easy check in and out. Rooms very clean and fresh. Staff was great. Shuttle bus to airport and back to Courtyard was so easy to use. Will stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank grandme
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Grandme:

Thank you so much for this awesome review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to share your very nice comments with the team, we recently made some upgrades to our parking lot and offer some great park and fly deals. Happy traveling.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was our second stay at the Courtyard. A wonderfull night sleep with NO jet noise. The rooms have allways been clean and inviting.Lobbey is very nice and modern and was very active when we arrived.Wonderfull staff at checkin and checkout and at the bar.One thing though, the breakfast should start earlier then 7, maybe 6AM. We were not able to take advantage of it before our flight. East access to long term parking in the area and the terminals. We will be flying out this weekend for a trip to Aruba and will use the Courtyard again. Our compliments to Manager Gary B. and his staff.
Thanks
Jerry in Ct.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jkesn228
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you so much for this great review, you will be delighted to know that we have recently modified our breakfast hours and start at 6am on weekdays; of course there is always coffee available and the 24 hour Market for snacks and quick bites. Happy traveling.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I like the Courtyard Brand but this one was difficult to find. I was in New Jersey 4 days for a funeral and staying at the airport seemed a good idea. But even with the directions they provide I could not find it, I spent over an hour, and finally had to make an illegal left turn to get to the hotel (I was directed to by a police officer who said "you can't get there from here unless you make that turn.") Part of the problem was that there was road construction and some of the signs that are supposed to direct you to the hotel were "temporarily" I am told, removed.

Other than that, the rooms were fine, although I do not like the redesign of the lobby and the addition of the bistro replacing a proper restaurant. Why do they insist on serving kitchen prepared food as if this were a fast food restaurant. I had a business meeting while in Newark and normally I would have my associate meet me at the hotel for dinner. The Bistro is not the type of place I would want to invite a business associate. (Not to mention finding the place.) The redesign of Courtyard lobbies and restaurants is not a plus, in my estimation. I miss the oatmeal and/or waffles in the morning.

One thing that is a plus is the display linking you to the airport and allowing you to print boarding passes at the hotel. Good touch. The pool was nice as well.

To sum it up, a better than average airport hotel, a less than average Courtyard. (Although if the lobby, restaurant makeover is happening throughout the chain, it is, I guess, an average Courtyard.)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you so much for taking time out to review our hotel, we are constantly working to improve the guest experience and this review will greatly help.
We are also working with New Jersey State Department of Transportation to improve access to our hotel and as you can understand there is a lot of red tape. During your visit they were resurfacing the main road directly outside, which is now done and looking and feeling great. Happy traveling.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I was very careful to have directions based on difficulties others had. Even so I almost drove right by it. When you see the airport on your left keep your eye out on the right! There is free parking. After you check in you put your key in the gate. When you leave you have to call the intercom at the gate and give them your room number if you are checking out and then you can drop your key in the box at the gate. I was driving into Manhattan and found it pretty easy to get to the Holland Tunnel after studying my directions a bit.
The man who checked me in was very friendly and offered a bottle of water. The room was pretty typical and no problems except for poor soundproofing between rooms. I usually have the TV on or am sleeping so not usually bothered but when I heard someone closing their curtains it sounded like they were in my room which was creepy.
Wifi seemed better in the lobby than in the room so I sat down there for a while and was very comfortable. Had a Quesadilla which was fine. I like the different seating options - counter, table, little areas for some privacy. Nice lobby.

Room Tip: Think about whether you want to overlook the courtyard or the outside of the hotel. I like to leave...