“Fabulous!”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We've heard about the Portuguese section of Newark for quite a while so when we finally got there it was with high expectations. Seabra's didn't disappoint. Just walking in the door we knew we were in someplace special. All the little bites lined up behind the bar, the fresh fish display we passed on the way to the dining room, and the food on the tables of other diners said, "This is authentic."

The white sangria was delicious, the cockles buttery and sweet, and then came the main courses. Each was enough for 2-4. Grilled cod (an authentic dish), "Dry soup" a traditional dish that's anything but dry, and an outrageously good Chilean sea bass. My friend took the photo below. The desserts weren't too great. We understand they aren't made on premise, and the meal was so delicious and plentiful there's no reason to order one.

Can't wait to return to this family friendly local spot.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We went to the Ironbound with the in-laws and our baby for a family dinner. We liked the communal style tables. It was a bustling Saturday night. Everyone enjoyed their dish. The portions were so huge. We ordered a kids fish dinner and it was the size of an adult's meal. The food was a tad on the greasy side - and the restaurant is loud. We were certainly glad we had 5:30 reservations because when we left at 7pm it was packed with a line waiting.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Since January 2013, we have been eating at Seabra's once a week because they have the best Portuguese food around at a reasonable cost. Plus you don't have to cook the next day, because there is plenty to take home and it will taste equally good next day. Last Monday I had a perfectly made hallibut with vegetables. My husband loves the cod they make. The food is so healthy that you can eat without guilt! The waiters are all Portuguese and very attentive. Ask them to warm up your bread and they will do it. Also, ask them for warm "bolinhos de bacalhau" (cod fish croquettes) and they will serve them at no charge. Try the wine called "Cartuxa" special reserve (about $60) and you will have the best Portuguese meal outside of Portugal! Make reservations on weekends and be on time, because the families with grandparents and children will take over the place. Lovely family place and worth to deal with the tables so close together. They have free parking across the street if you have your ticket stamped at the restaurant. Enjoy!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This place is unbelievable! I ordered the platter that see you pictured for me and my 6' 3" husband. It was so delicious! We went on a Saturday evening and it was packed when we arrived and remained that way until we left at around 10 p.m. It's a small restaurant so plan on sitting closely with strangers. Good thing they have a bar because they use it to seat their guests for dinner. Upon seating, you are treated with portugese rolls and an assortment of fried foods: octopus and potatoe balls. Very tasty! Plan on waiting for your entrees because of all the people they have to serve. This is worth waiting in line for. Go early to beat the crowd (5 - 6 pm).

Reviewed January 5, 2013

How disappointed I am in my recent trip to Seabras. I have been coming here for over ten years. Tonight, after an extended hiatus we returned. Prices up, portions down, quality: out the window. I guess they figure that they can ride their reputation for the near future. But, it will catch up to them. Please, boys, go back to how it used to be, or I will never return. There are other restaurants in this neighborhood, but I am afraid that they are all offering the same shortfalls and misses. I hope that Seabras gets back to basics now that they are rotten with money.

Been to Seabra's Marisqueira? Share your experiences!