“Very good Portugese food”
Review of Spanish Tavern

Spanish Tavern
Ranked #2 of 574 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
New Jersey
“Very good Portugese food”
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

We recently ate here after a concert at the Prudential center. It had been probably over 15 years since eating at Spanish tavern. The food was as good as I remember. Very good to excellent.

We shared 3 entrees for a party of 4. It was enough food to have leftovers to take home. We had Medallions of filet mignon in mushroom sauce, pollo ajillo, and paella. In addition, the restaurant provides complimentary soup and fried potato chips which were crispy and tasty. All of the entrees were delicious although I seem to recall the paella having more seafood but that was a long time ago. For the price it could've had a few more scallops (had plenty of shrimp) but no complaints in the quality. The chicken and steak dishes were both delicious.

For desert we tried a 3 layer chocolate cake, a peanut butter chocolate cheesecake and espresso. Everything was very very good. The double espresso was huge, the size of a mug of coffee - warning I couldn't fall asleep til 2 am!

The only reason I didn't give this the highest rating was the disappointing sangria. It was watery and weak tasting even before the ice melted. I've had sangria at a lot of places including making it at home and for a restaurant of this quality I was a bit disappointed with the sangria.

Overall though an excellent meal and I will be back again sooner rather than later. I have recently eaten at some of the other Spanish and Portugese restaurants in the iron bound and Spanish tavern is definitely the best.

Visited December 2013

New York
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Trip advisor never disappoints! My husband and I were looking for a satisfying spanish meal prior to a concert at the Prudential Center. This restaurant was a buzzing hot spot even at 1:00 on a Monday afternoon. The staff was warm and inviting. Despite being very crowded they quickly seated us and promptly took our order. The complimentary tasty soup came out immediately and helped get rid of our chill from the damp and rainy weather. The menu was full of delicious options and we started with a shrimp and scallop appetizer which was excellent! We love paella so our lunch choice was easy but there were many other dishes we would love to try. The paella with the sausage, chicken and a huge sampling of seafood was mouth watering good. The portion was huge and we were glad that we ordered one entree (thanks to the advice from another trip advisor review). The rice was cooked perfectly and the red sangria completely complimented the meal. Dessert and cappuccino were the perfect ending to this wonderful meal. Our only regret was that this restaurant is not closer to our home.

• Visited December 2013
University Park, Florida
“Exceptional Service”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I'm in Newark for the past 2 decades and have had the pleasure of dining at Spanish Diner numerous times. This month I hosted a business dinner there and when I made reservations wanted a corner table that provided more privacy. As expected my request was honored and from the time we sat down our server was there to take drink requests, their wines were good and at reasonable prices.

What is extraordinary in the restaurant business is their shuttle service that's available to patrons at no charge. I had rented a car so transportation wasn't an issue, but enjoying wine and driving wasn't an option. When I called to request a pick up I was informed just call 15 minutes in advance. The short notice was a surprise, but the van was at the hotel within 20 minutes. It isn't limo service but the driver was cordial and friendly. The van was "functional" :-) but for free and only a 15 minute drive from hotels around the airport to the restaurant and even picking up another group, the ride was pleasant. The return trip was also pleasant. Make sure you TIP the driver.

Now to an important part of any restaurant review: the menu was of course Portuguese/Spanish and the food was good and plentiful. We were a party of 3 and ordered 2 appetizers and two main courses and for 3 adult males we were pleasantly surprised that we didn't leave hungry. Yes, we also ordered one dessert and the tavern comps with an after dinner drink.

An excellent experience and because the food wasn't the best I've ever had but the service was excellent, I gave a very good rating.

The Tavern isn't in the best neighborhood, but I've always felt safe when I've dined there. This is a dining experience you should not miss, but make reservations.

1 Thank sib715
New Jersey, USA
“Excellent food, wonderful service”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

The Spanish Tavern is such a warm, welcoming, relaxing place to have an excellent meal. Our waiter was fabulous, had a wonderful sense of humor, and explained everything to us. We started with a favorable soup that is part of the meal, had a mussel and ham appetizer, and then each got our own entre which we shared. Everything was so delicious. We ended the meal with dessert and a cappuccino. I live in the neighborhood, hadn't been to the restaurant in a while, and just so happy that we decided to go back. I highly recommend it. Oh, almost forgot to mention that there is a free parking lot across the street!

Greenville, North Carolina
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

In Newark with company business meeting. The tavern sent a van to pick up our group from our hotel . We would never have found it otherwise.
Once inside, you fall in love with the place, the people, and absolutely the food.
Great seafood choices and the steaks that some of my colleagues ordered also looked wonderful.