“An expensive way to eat rice!”
Review of Spanish Tavern

Spanish Tavern
Ranked #2 of 586 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
New Jersey
“An expensive way to eat rice!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have been eating at the Spanish Tavern for more than forty years. I remember the small original place across the street, celebrating birthdays in this restaurant and on and off having memorable food. The sangria and the flan are still excellent. But the paella was an expensive way to eat rice! The seafood ....lobster, mussels, clams were not fresh or of lower quality than I could buy at a supermarket. We go out for food that I do not make at home and Paella is one of those foods. The chef needs to improve the quality of the shellfish. The portions are huge but I would not recommend this place at this time especially when there are many other fine authentic restaurants nearby. My average rating is a bit of a gift. We were a large party and I did not want to complain but the Spanish food needs improvement.

• Visited July 2013

“Ok Spanish Restaurant”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

OK food. They had very good soft shell crabs. Paella was ok. Service was very good. Would come back again (probably).

• Visited July 2013
Dallas Texas
“Why I Love Trip Advisor”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have found some great recommendations on Trip Advisor over the years and this was another one.

We had one night in Newark before a cruise out of Cape Liberty and found "The Spanish Tavern" on TA. We were not disappointed. This restaurant is in an old Newark neighborhood - translation - tight parking and plenty of urban character. We made our Saturday evening reservation for four on "Open Table" and wanted to move it up about 45 minutes from the original time of 8:00 PM- no problem.

The place was packed and very busy. Tables were a little tight but the wonderful food and wine selections, along with friendly service made up for that. Our party of 4 ordered calamari, steak, short ribs and langoustine and every dish was outstanding. The portions were huge and very tasty; wine selections are excellent and reasonably priced. This is a terrific place to dine.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank richard1s
“Paella”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I liked the paella. Portions are good for sharing. Sangria is delicious. Dinners come with a nice bean soup. Service is good. This place has been around a long time. Parking lot is across the street.

Visited December 2012
Staten Island, New York
“You will leave hungry”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I heard so many great things about this place, I had to try it. The seating was fast and courteous.
I am going to make this as short and to the point as possible. There is a soup for a starter. It was luke warm, but tasty. I ordered clams on the half shell for an appetizer. You should never put clams on the half shell on the menu if your kitchen staff can't shuck a clam. This is one of my biggest gripes in restaurants today. On numerous occasions , I have gone to a place and the clams were not properly shucked. At the Spanish Tavern, the clam was cut in half. So, you are getting a half dozen and charged for a dozen. You must take the clam, insert the knife, scrape the vail from the top and then scrap the bottom shell. Enough on the clams. I had Mariscada in green sauce. Average flavor and very little seafood. Everyone enjoyed the taste of their dishes but we left not full. Maybe they had an off day and we will go back and give them another shot someday.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Mikeyups

Been to Spanish Tavern? Share your experiences!