“Did not do it for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Spanish Tavern

Spanish Tavern
Ranked #2 of 571 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
West Norway
“Did not do it for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm sorry , but this did not do it for me our my guests.
Been in many Spanish tavern in Spain other countries but this is not similar this is a seafood tavern , whit the people working there busy doing other stuff then helping the paying customers.
Food was not like we hoped for.
Maybe the choice of day our the hours was bad for us, but we picked it course the good reviews here, but we feelt that was a mistake afterwards !

• Visited January 2013

“A Down Neck Institution”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is one of the Big players in the resturant experience in the Newark Ironbound area, Food and menu have been a stable of the Ironbound District for decades. Worth a visit, easy in ,easy out....

• Visited February 2013
Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
“Old School, Weird Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

This place actually came and picked us up from the hotel (Courtyard by Marriott at the Newark airport) so it was a pretty easy decision. I was kind of surprised how upscale the interior was. All the servers were very formal, but it did make the experience a little awkward. Everything was just so rigid, and there was even a note on the menu that you should not use your cell phone at the table. Some people may like that, but I felt a little awkward.

The food was decent. I can't remember the name of what I ordered. but it was basically fried shrimp and scallops over salad. The seafood was tasty. The salad was pretty bland. My dinner partner got the paella, which was a very large portion. It didn't look very unified. More like everything was cooked seperately and then combined, which is not really paella. Just to be clear I do not know if that was the case, but that's what it looked like. There was no cirspy rice.

Our server asked if we wanted dessert, and we declined. Then 30 seconds later someone appeared with a dessert tray with like 12 desserts, and we sat through him describing every one of them. That was rather awkward.

Then we kinda just sat there waiting for the check. Finally, I looked over my shoulder and made eye contact with the server, and he came over. I asked for the check. I wanted to get out of there so that I could speak above a whisper and not feel weird about it.

Everything about this place seems to cater to an elederly crowd that likes to eat the same thing for dinner every Friday night, and talk about the old times before kids had colorful hair and complicated shoes.

I don't know. I just don't like being in places that suppress a jovial attitude.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Benny231
Toms River, New Jersey
“Dinner & Devels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This restaurant is conveniently located close the Prudential Center, home of the NJ Devils with free parking so you can walk to the game. I had a delicious hanger steak with red potatoes and fresh veggies last night and we won the game 5-2. A perfect nite.
The service is impeccable, it is very clean, comfortable and reasonable.
I give it 5 stars!

• Visited March 2013
Newark, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Spanish Tavern was great. As a single women traveler I dined in the dining room. If I were to do it all over I would dine at the bar. The food was excellent no matter where I ate. But the bar gives you the social experience. After dining in the dining room i moved to the bar to wait for the free shuttle driver and had a wonderful conversation with individuals all over the spanish speaking world. Great food and great ambiance for the lonely traveler.

• Visited March 2013

Been to Spanish Tavern? Share your experiences!