“a great portugese option in newark”

Sol-Mar Restaurtant
Ranked #13 of 597 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Reviewed February 21, 2013

an excellent alternative in Newark to the more famous eateries. service was 1st rate, menu is varied and food very well prepared. portions are typical of similar restaurants in that they are very large and leave enough for take home for late nite snack or next day lunch. shrimp done extremely fresh, juicy and well seasoned

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Invited a friend out with me on Thanksgiving;'s Eve with a groupon. caleed in to reserve mentioning Groupon as advised. When seated, ordered a half pitcher of sangria as per Groupon allowance. Bread delivered hard, stale and cold but I dismissed my guest's complaints and conceded that it was a slow night and everyone's mind was on the holiday. Tried ordering portuguese bread with sausage with my appetizer but was told that this was only made on the weekend (Thought: Why not put that on a special weekend menu?...)We went on to order stuffed lobster and stuffed salmon. I mention to the waiter that the menu was different than one I'd seen when buying my Groupon. He immediately appears disgusted and proceeds to tell me the difference in price of one entree -to which i tell him I have no problem, Then, he says that he gave us a whole pitcher of Sangria (Being the first time here, we had no reference point to determine what a half/full size looks like ). I remind him that I asked for a half pitcher - to which he responds " but you didn't mention your groupon" I tell him to check with the reservationist, as I made the reservationn following the directions of the Groupon. Long story short, I found the food to be decent. Both, my guest and I finished our plates. without the problem with the waiter who seeemed to simply abhor Groupon customers, I would have given restaurant 3 1/2 stars. However, in that the waiter would not admit his error with the sangria (sangria which was ok except for the taste of fruit that had been steeping too long: that oversoaked lemon/orange rind taste) would not correct the bill, did not offer water, dessert or the Groupon-allowed espresso, I am turned off and could not in good conscience recommend such an establishment, especially in a sea of more-worthy contenders within walking distance. I mean, if an establishment markets itself on Groupon and gets almost 700 hits, shouldn't they expect Groupon customers that order according to the Groupon? SO not impressed.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Great staff; large portions; not too noisy; ample nearby public parking. Excellent seafood, pretty good meat. Reasonable prices. Strong sangria. What's not to like?

Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We had dinner here before flying out of nearby Newark airport. And as usual, the restaurant did not disappoint. The food servings were generous and the service was impeccable, as always. If you are in the area or have some to kill between flights, this is worth a stop.

2  Thank bwco
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and i have visited this wonderful portuguese restaurant 3 times since being a recommendation of a good friend from the area. The parking could be tough at times, since they do not have a lot. The decore is pure portugal and comfortable seating. We split a appetizer of cold clams and osters and was so fresh and clean to the palate. We get this every visit and highly recommend it to you. We've had the lobster, the grilled seafood platter, the whole fish and all were superb. Be care of the man walking around with the sausage bread, IT IS TO DIE FOR AND IT IS FILLING, and it will cost you $$$ . There was no mention of price when offered to us. And ask FOR PRICE'S OF SPECIALS, so there will be no sticker shock at tab time. they also have wonderful desert and coffees. Try the orange pie, it is memorable. They also have a great wine list and very good sangria.

3  Thank frank y

Been to Sol-Mar Restaurtant? Share your experiences!