“Good Iron bound option”

Sol-Mar Restaurtant
Ranked #13 of 603 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Great staff; large portions; not too noisy; ample nearby public parking. Excellent seafood, pretty good meat. Reasonable prices. Strong sangria. What's not to like?

Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We had dinner here before flying out of nearby Newark airport. And as usual, the restaurant did not disappoint. The food servings were generous and the service was impeccable, as always. If you are in the area or have some to kill between flights, this is worth a stop.

2  Thank bwco
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and i have visited this wonderful portuguese restaurant 3 times since being a recommendation of a good friend from the area. The parking could be tough at times, since they do not have a lot. The decore is pure portugal and comfortable seating. We split a appetizer of cold clams and osters and was so fresh and clean to the palate. We get this every visit and highly recommend it to you. We've had the lobster, the grilled seafood platter, the whole fish and all were superb. Be care of the man walking around with the sausage bread, IT IS TO DIE FOR AND IT IS FILLING, and it will cost you $$$ . There was no mention of price when offered to us. And ask FOR PRICE'S OF SPECIALS, so there will be no sticker shock at tab time. they also have wonderful desert and coffees. Try the orange pie, it is memorable. They also have a great wine list and very good sangria.

3  Thank frank y
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Fantastic family dinner with impeccable service. Apps of Clams, Shrimp and Chorizo. Dinner was a recommended grilled seafood platter. OMG! Two broiled lobsters, a bevy of clams, shrimp, scallops, mussels, Langostines, cod and stuffed crab. Fantastic Flan for dessert. A couple of table-side visits from the owner. Complimentary Port Wine after dinner. Great place...feels like we were in Portugal.

1  Thank luv2trvl43
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I met a girlfriend for dinner there during the week. We made a dinner reservation since I had a groupon(if you see a pattern here you are right I am a big coupon user when it comes to restaurants). We each had a glass of the white house wine. Very cold and crisp. We shared the grilled shrimp appetizer that was delicious. The bread was good for dipping. I had the rack of lamb. It was good although it could ahve been just a little more done. I had ordered it medium rare. My girl friend had the veal scallopini. Our plates were clean when we were done so I guess the food was good. They also served us a side dish of fried potato slices and rice. If you are used to very crispy potatoes with your portuguese food these are not the crispy type but okay. There are other portuguese restaurants in the area that served them more like potato chips. I got the fellgin that these were not hand made, but they were still good. I would definitely eat here again. The service was great. there is plenty of parking across the street.

1  Thank champagnewishes

Been to Sol-Mar Restaurtant? Share your experiences!