“Ok”
Review of Maize Restaurant

Maize Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Maize Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 608 Restaurants in Newark
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Newark Central Business District
Cross street: Center Street & Mulberry Street
Transit: Newark Light Rail - NJPAC
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Sat at the bar and had dinner and a beer. I ordered a steak sandwich that was average at best. I was disappointed based on the look of the place. The mixed greens and fries were both good. They also offer a good selection of wine and draft beers. Very nice atmosphere and stellar service. I just wish I had orders something better than what I did.

1  Thank Duane W

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I would describe this restaurant as a 'typical' hotel restaurant, you go early on in your stay, probably for the convenience, and then choose somewhere different for the other nights. The food was good, I will say at the outset, I had an good size bowl of asparagus soup, followed by lamb. The waiters were attentive, but not overly welcoming, the seating was comfortable, but there was just something lacking, and the price, perhaps, on the top side.

1  Thank Billy3710
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Service. Was not allowed to eat an appetizer and a salad in the dining room. Said I had to eat in the bar. By the way....I was the only one in the dining room. Ridiculous. Spending my money elsewhere.

1  Thank skeeterflorida
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The food was good. I had the salmon lasagna (which was peculiarly good) one night and the fillet the next. Both were good and the service was pretty good. I am not sure, however, that the quality warranted the cost.

1  Thank JollyHenceforth
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Birthday dinner on October 13th at 12:30PM. Parking was a mess. We pulled into the Robert Treat parking lot and no one knew what to do with us. Finally, after three parking attendants discussed everything, we were allowed to park in a spot. I parked my car myself and tipped the attendant $5.00.

Maize restaurant had a lovely atmosphere. Great food! Unfortunately, the service was TERRIBLE! The waiter shoved menu at us as soon as we sat down. We were waiting for one person who was stuck in traffic. The waiter pounced on us at every turn. He asked us five different times if we wanted to order. Although we explained that we were waiting for someone, he came to the table over and over. Finally, we ordered drinks. The waiter pushed us to order a bottle of wine. We said no. He insisted. Then, he forgot to take one person's drink order!!! It was a mess.

We waited 45 minutes for appetizers. Then, we waited ONE HOUR for our entrees. When they arrived they were COLD. The wait staff were MIA. There was only one other table of two people. Or bill was over $400. For $70.00 per person, I expected hot food and an attentive wait staff. I was totally embarrassed for suggesting Maize restaurant to my friends.. The wait staff were untrained and inexperienced. Most of all, I feel sorry for the chief. The food was very good, but by the time we received it, it was stone cold. I don't usually complain but if Newark/Robert Treat is going to present itself as having a three star restaurant, it should hire professional wait staff. What a disappointment.....

1  Thank Sue07055