“OK but there are better restaurants in the area”

Iberia Tavern & Restaraunt
Ranked #48 of 589 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is a large restaurant that includes indoor and outdoor dining and a huge parking lot (pay $10 and your waiter will reimburse you). Perhaps too large. I have eaten in many of the Portuguese/Spanish/Brazilian restaurants in Newark's famous "Ironbound," so named because it is surrounded by railroad tracks. Most of these restaurants are well known for good food, large portions, an attentive and friendly wait staff, and interesting decor. Iberia served us some food that was good and some that was not up to par and the staff was particularly unfriendly, abrupt, and rude from the very beginning. The bread was dried out as if it had been sliced and sitting someplace for some time. For appetizers. the calamari was overdone, Portuguese sausage was delicious. My wife's stuffed lobster was good, vegetables were cool and water-logged. My pork and clams were okay although greasy and not worthy of taking home. Our friends were reasonably satisfied with their chicken, paella and salmon in green sauce. The decor is of real interest and the portions were large. However, no one ever checked on us during the entire meal. I watied for 20 minutes just to find someone who would bring us water. It appeared that they were busy, short-staffed, perhaps over-worked, and relatively invisible. There are dozens of regularly outstanding such restaurants in the Ironbound so why go to this place??

There are newer reviews for Iberia Tavern & Restaraunt

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Iberia has authentic paella with great sangria. This is one of the must stop at restaurants in Newark. The area is not that bad and parking on the weekend can take a few minutes.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

We arrived back very late and were worried whether anywhere would be open, but this place was still buzzing at 9.30 pm. We ordered the parrillada de mariscos and got a huge helping of fish, mussels, shrimp, lobster, calamari and clams for $44 for the two of us. We did our best, but couldn't quite finish it! There was a Portuguese festival going on in the streets, which probably accounted for the liveliness of this bar/restaurant. It was great fun.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I waited 1 hour it's a long time waiting, service is very slow. Food is ok but not worth it.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

When ever I get a chance to go home and visit Newark, I always have dinner at Iberia. They have an extensive menu specializing in seafood, but also with meat and chicken dishes as well. All meals include salad, bread and rice. Be careful when ordering as the portions are huge. You can have a paella for one, but it will feed 2. I had dinner this past weekend., but I decided to have 2 appetizers and that was more than enough food. Their shrimp in garlic sauce is my favorite. Service is good and make sure you try their sangria!

Been to Iberia Tavern & Restaraunt? Share your experiences!