“Great little visit”

Cuisines: Portuguese, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Upset that I found this place on my last day. The food was amazing and the portions were fantastic! So if you are in the area please give it a visit! finally , the staff were ever so friendly

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We were here on business trip and stopped in for dinner, The bread was soft and tasty. The seafood was fresh and the portions were huge (we could have shared a meal) We both really enjoyed the dishes we got. and would return. The cafe latte was a great finish to the meal.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was first introduced to this place in the Ironbound section of Newark NJ in 1980
it was fabulous back then
Portugese seafood dishes that were wonderful especially the garlic shrimp
alas
it did not measure up at all during last visit
food was mediocre

Reviewed December 23, 2012

What a disappointment. I used to come here with my Dad when he had his office in Newark and we loved the place. Many fond memories. But that was over 15 years ago. Unfortunately all things change.

Last night, after a concert at the Prudential center, we walked past Penn Station to get dinner at Spain. It was Saturday night and the place was packed which is usually a good sign.

After being seated, we ordered a pitcher of sangria which was weak and watery tasting. My wife had the filet mignon which was huge but bland tasting and was not served with the mushroom gravy as advertised on the menu until we asked for it.

I ordered my favorite: mariscada, which was served with mussels which smelled like the beach at low tide (I had to spit one out into my napkin to avoid vomiting), shrimp which were not clean (still had the dirty black intestine) and many unopened clams and mussels, which a seafood eater immediately recognizes as Do Not Eat!

The complimentary fried potato chips were not crispy and the vegetables (green beans) were mushy.

My kids split a chicken in garlic sauce dinner which was the only meal on the table which did not disappoint.

The waiter was very good, attentive and constantly filled water glasses forvthe kids, asked if we needed anything, etc. Made a great cappuccino and espresso and also had some good desserts ( the chocolate mousse pie and tiramisu) were both above average.

All in all a disappointing meal. I wish we had gone to Fornos or Spanish Tavern instead. Not what I rember... Very sad.

2  Thank jerseydiver
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I don't understand why more people don't rate Spain higher. I've never had a bad meal here. The quality is fine, the prices fair and the service extremely attentive. I just ate there again today (this time) with a group of about 25. I've eaten there many times previously with family, friends in small and big groups. You find lots of locals eating there, and you know, that speaks volume in a city with lots of Spanish (reallyPortuguese) restaurants. The shrimp, clams, mussels, chorizo were all excellent. The portions were so big I took my snapper home. It was too good to eat and feel stuffed. I want to enjoy the leftovers! Buen provecho!

Been to Spain Restaurant? Share your experiences!