“Amazingly awesome”

Forno's of Spain Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Forno's of Spain Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 591 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Cross street: Union Street
Transit: We are located a two blocks away from Newark Penn Station and New Jersey Transit, which is walking distance.
Description: Fornos of Spain is an award winning Spanish restaurant located in Newark. For an authentic taste of fine Spanish dining, we welcome you to Fornos! **We now provide pickup and return shuttle services to all hotel guests in the Newark area. All guests have to do is call the restaurant. Monday-Thursday, 5pm - 11pm.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Let me start out by saying that this is third time we have eatem here.We haved moved out if state and comr backe every time we come back.The last 2 times it has been with 4 adults, and 5 children.Our waiter was Escobar, and he has served us the last 2 times. He is personable,friendly and patient.All the staff were friendly. We ordered fried calamari which was tastey and light. Shrimp in garlic sauce, escargot, grilled Chorizo sausage, filet mignon, pasta, and Mariscada en salsa verde(Seafood which included mussels lobster clams and calamari in a green sauce of parsley, garlic, olive and white wine.They star iut with bringing yiu salad, olives and garlic bread, plus regular bread for the table.All the staff were accomodating.The red Sagria was great as well. FOR DESSERT reccomend the Flan, and the Turtufo(vanilla and chocolate ice cream,with nuts in a chocolate shell .Thank you Ecobar one again for a memorable experience.Thanks you to the ehole stafc, who are so attentive to your needs, but not intrusive. FORNOS OF SPAIN, WE WISH YOU CONTINUED SUCCESS, AND WHEN WE COME BACK UP NORTH WE WILL SEE YOU AGAIN, THANK YOU!!!!!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Arrived early to make concert and was rushed to order. We had over two hours before show. There were four of us. Dinner for two guests came out, the other two dinners came out 20 minutes later. The fish dish was inedible. The salad on the table was layered in salt along with almost every dish. The waiter was rude and forgetful. I can only think that people eat here for the large portions because NOTHING that was served had any taste other than salt.

1  Thank boater2
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were in Newark at the Hilton near Penn station to catch a cruise ship. The Bellman (Eddie) recommended we try Forno's for dinner and gave us easy waking directions from the hotel to the restaurant (3 blocks).
They don't accept reservations for 2 so we arrived early on a Saturday night and were pleased to be seated when we arrived.
They serve a salad with bread and olives as soon as they seat you and then give you a menu. We shared a dinner after seeing the huge portions they served and we were very pleased with dinner and the entire dinning experience. A lot of folks were waiting to be seated when we left. The price was way better than expected and we found this a great dinning experience.

1  Thank fishpicturesbybob
Reviewed July 25, 2013

What a wonderful place to dine...whether it be lunch or dinner. My husband and I met an old college friend I had not seen in over 30 years here at Fornos on their suggestion.
What a great place in a neighborhood that I would never think to dine in.
The food was fantastic and the service level was fabulous. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Ate for the first time here as a graduation lunch. Scheduling required we have our small celebration (5 people) at Saturday lunch. There are not too many nice restaurants open in our area at that time (central NJ). I had the idea of a Spanish/Portuguese place in Newark and most are open for Saturday lunch. Decided to try one I haven't before although it's been many years since I've eaten in the area.

The day was very hot but we noticed the small patio had misters and decided to stay outside. We stayed nice and cool and had the patio to ourselves for the most part. A large party arrived for a shower inside and we glad to be in our own spot.

Service is very good/attentive. The food was for the most part good and the portions were extremely large. We had a few big eaters with us and had enough bring home for 3 more meals. We had one small eater (adult) who shared and we still had leftovers. I advise ordering at least one less dish per course or skipping appetizers. Personally I would want to skip the appetizers as they were more interesting to me overall than the entrees. Appetizers were very good. I especially loved the cheese plate. Had some blue cheeses I never had before that tasted great with the white sangria. One or two dishes were a little bland for me (tortilla egg dish for example) but others were very good. Octopus salad was tasty as was the steak with chimichurri sauce. Paella valenciana was also good. We had a child with us who loved her chicken tenders. A nice touch at the end of the meal was complimentary cordials.

I would return here again. In less pleasant weather, they have an indoor bar area that looked nice and main dining room looked comfortable with white tablecloths on the table and space between tables. The restrooms were decent and clean. They have fenced safe free parking in the rear. You could walk here from Newark Penn Station if you needed too. It's on a main drag with lots of businesses. We made a reservation but at the time we went it wasn't needed.