“Rodizio, and only Rodizio”

Fernandes 2 Steak House
Ranked #7 of 586 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Brazilian, Portuguese, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Newark, NJ
“Rodizio, and only Rodizio”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The problem with all these reviews is that they are missing the mark of what this place really is all about. Why is this large restaurant, in a somewhat iffy 'hood, in Newark, New Jersey, packed on a Tuesday night? Or every other night? Great atmosphere? That "buzz" that everyone wants to be a part of? Professional, caring people? Yes, all of that, but its more....
You go to a restaurant in Maine, everyone is sitting at large tables eating lobsters, do you eat steak? You go to a restaurant in Maryland, everyone is eating blue claws and crab cakes, do you order pork roast? You go to NOLA and everyone is eating oysters, cheap and good, what do you order? Right, now you are getting it. Brings us back to Fernandez.....
You sit in the restaurant and you immediately notice young men walking around with large skewers of meats, going to tables, and slicing said meats onto the diners plates, plates are consumed, repeat process until consumer cries uncle. That is Fernandez in a nutshell. A carnivores dream. Big menu, but this is the best rodizio restaurant maybe anywhere and is why you should come here. This is a great place, lots of fun, fast paced, good sangria and great people.
Just one thing. Rodizio can be ordered as a full array of meats and sausages and is all you can eat. The cheap stuff comes out early so dont fill up early. The stuff is salted, which I love, though many dont so let them know. Or, you can do what I do, order the "picanha" rodizio which is all one cut of beef, all you can eat. Rare cooked, salted and delicious.
If you are in the area, love endless meat, good sangria and just great atmosphere and vibe, go to Fernandez.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank markl20202

Darfur, Sudan via Charlotte, NC, USA
“Welcoming Atmosphere a BIG Plus!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I've had better food than Fernandes2. In the Ironbound, there are sooo many restaurants to choose from. However, Fernandes had one of the best atmosphere/ambience of the retaurants. It's in a very working class neighborhood, so you might initially think you're lost, and then... there you are!
The valet parking is prompt and spot on, and begin a welcoming attitude felt throughout the restaurant. The "lobby" has a big potbelly stove and really cool looking wooden chairs. I suppose you can sit there if you want if there's a queue. When we went there was no wait, so we didn't sit, but it was very nice aesthetically.
The restaurant is also very warm and inviting. We sat in the bar area, which turned out to be a really good choice. The bartender is a joy to watch - he seems to truly enjoy his work, and the drinks just make you want one.. or two!
The sangria was nice, not great, but nice.
Neither of us were big meat eaters (but the rodizio did LOOK great!), so we feasted on seafood, which was to be had in abundance. The waiters were very upfront about their offerings and wanted to make sure that we were informed about and pleased with what we ordered. The lobster was good, but not stellar. The stuffed shrimp were a bit dry and the stuffing not so tasty. My friend had sea bass, which was very, very good.
I'm sure there are things on the menu which are very, very good as the sea bass, so I would not hesitate to return - especially since the place itself is so nicely set up.
Recommended.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Amnesty1
Grapevine
“A must if in the area”
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Great local steakhouse. Half the fun is getting to the location...I always say that for a place to be a winner it has to take you away from the place you are or make you feel like you are someplace else. Fernandez hit the mark. I will return.

Visited June 2013
Chepachet
“A Great Dining Experience”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Rodizio ! That was my first experience and it was great. This meal included sides of rice and plantain which was very good but the meat was unbelievable. The waiter comes around many times with all kinds of meat, chicken, beef, pork, turkey etc. The restaurant was clean and well decorated. Parking was valet. Located in an area you would not expect such a fine looking establishment. I was there on a business trip but cant wait to take the whole family there. Little pricey but you get what you pay for. Highly recommended !

• Visited June 2013
Westfield, New Jersey
“Oh my god, best rodizio. CHEESE INFUSED prime rib.... Need I say more?”
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My wonderful boyfriend took me here for date night. It was perfect. You feel your entering another country. It's a beautiful castle like restaurant with a sexy ambiance. We had a pitcher of some of the best red sangria and both got the premium cut rodizio. The meats were fantastic, not overly salty or fatty like most rodizios. I DROOL thinking of the cheese infused prime rib. I ate about 5 pieces my boyfriend wouldn't stop making fun of me. They have great desserts and many options as well. Don't miss out on this one!!

• Visited June 2013

Been to Fernandes 2 Steak House? Share your experiences!