“Post TSB Dinner”

Cuisines: Portuguese, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The staff was great. Table was ready for immediate seating after the event at Prudential Center. We shared 5 appetizers: fried squid, sausage, mussels, baked scallops and baked clams. All was very delicious. Our waitor was great. They kept the red sangria flowing. It was quite tasty. There were 8 of us and we tried a number of different entres. Every entre was a good portion. Everyone enjoyed their meal. I think this was an excellent value based on the quality and quantity of food. The dessert tray was equally delicious. I agree with a previous review that characterized this restaurant as a "local gem".

2  Thank Emil A

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My first stop in, I walked into the bar area on what must have been local utility company "skip word day" or a casting call for the next episode of Sopranos. But hey, who am I to judge grown career men drinking for the rest of the day at 2 PM?

The bar service is great and the food is magifique! Try the cilantro and garlic soup! The drinks are all well made and the house Portuguese red wine makes me wish I'd never have learned French. Almost everything that comes out of the kitchen is great fare for that matter. Reasonable enough prices for a solo guy to hang out for a while, have some dinner and not drop a fortune. Or take a date and eat in the dinning room for a little more upscale presentation of the same food.

Interesting neighborhood as you'll probably experience a local new immigrant or two stopping in to sell knock off watches or bootlegged DVDs, but hey it is Newark after all.

1  Thank bunnypuffer
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Unbelievable portions... fresh and cooked to order ... excellent and very attentive wait staff. Good selection of wines... daily fish and meat specials are mouth watering ... their almond cake tastes like an old-fashioned good humor toasted almond ... sangria is tasty! We will be back!

1  Thank chermar72
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Hard to go wrong with this restaurant, portion sizes are huge, food really good and prices quite reasonable.
Wine list is decent, personally I prefer the selections from Spain versus the Portugese wines which seem to be more of an acquired taste. (think Harsh).
Service is a little spotty, most of the staff are very knowledgable and friendly, one night we had a guy who was described by his fellow server as a busboy. (he may have been a good busboy, he was not a good waiter)
Old style restaurant, in terms of decor, the way the staff are dressed and many items, but they deliver big time in value

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We were a party of 12 for my husbands 65th birthday and not only is the food excellent but the service was as well. Hat's off the Tony De Caneca's you know how to make guests feel like family.

2  Thank Goldie71369

Been to Tony Da Caneca Restaurant? Share your experiences!