“Mixed feelings while in its current era...”
Review of Casa Vasca

Casa Vasca
Ranked #7 of 579 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Brick, New Jersey
“Mixed feelings while in its current era...”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Casa Vasca has been 'a must' for me for 25+ years. Secure parking is a plus and its well priced. We often try to choose among the many options in the Ironbound but somehow end up at CV's.
The competition is very good, however, CV is standing still while others are moving forward. Perhaps it is in its retreat era now. It happened before, in the 90's. The owner has seen tough times recently, has altered the originality for now, she'll see the light soon enough as she's done in the past. The entrees are outstanding, still. Service is still attentive/efficient but a bit stiff to be friendly, a shame. The portions that used to be enormous are now controlled, read smaller. This was part of the charm; to be able to continue the gastronomic experience at home the next day, to relive Casa Vasca, but not now. Go and enjoy, I still do. My dilemma is a very long history with CV, but I am obligated to enjoy it until its eventual return to grandeur!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank DavidHAre

West Orange, New Jersey
“Authentic and sincere”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

This gem is older than us and oozes warmth, tradition and great Portuguese food. It remains astounding that the owners still remember all the menu items and the specials and your names, after many years. This restaurant is in the heart of the Latino part of newark. The food remains true to its heritage and yet up to date. Although the menu has not changed much, the familiar dishes still surprise us when we revisit them. When you go be sure to check out what the patrons at the next table. They are likely to local diners who know what is good. A good wine list features reasonably priced Spanish wines among others. Go there soon.

Visited July 2013
West Caldwell, New Jersey
“Very Good Food, Value and Wait Staff!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed an early dinner before attending the P!ink concert at the Prudential Center. As the dining room was unavailable due to a large party reservation, we were able to eat in the "bar" area, and it was great! We agreed that we probably had a better time than had we been in the dining room. The portions are extremely large, but do not lack quality. A very substantial size soup is included with your dinner. Easily 2 people could split an entree and still have something to take home! It was probably one of the least expensive dinners that I've enjoyed in a very long time! The waiters are attentive and the owner and son check regularly to see if you are pleased with your meal or if there is anything they can do to improve your dining experience. Another plus is the private free parking area with an attendant. I will definitely be back to enjoy another dinner at Casa Vasca.

• Visited December 2013
new jersey
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Went here on a Wed. night, so no wait even with no reservation. Was here several years ago and liked it. I still feel this is an excellent restaurant. I had very tasty grilled veal chops- 2 nice size chops, and interesting French cut potatoes, and nice veggies came with it! they include house soup which was very good. With bread and soup our group of 4 only ordered some Spanish sausage as an appetizer. My wife enjoyed the stuffed salmon, my son really liked the filet mignon and shrimp and his wife liked her chicken with lemon sauce. We didn't need dessert, so the bill was reasonable. Like many of the good restaurants in the 'ironbound' section, you really can count on a good meal for a fair price. The wait staff is very friendly and polite. I recommend giving it a try. Parking was no problem as we got a spot in the very small lot (they have someone there to help you), I know on the weekends parking is not great, but you will find a spot.

• Visited December 2013
Kinnelon, New Jersey
“Hidden in Newark NJ”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

On a one way back street of Newark NJ and away fron the "Famious" Portugese/ Spanish restaurents you will fine maybe the best one. Food was better the those others and just as pleantiful if not more. Enough in fact for dinner the next day also. Looked at what near by tables had and all looked and smelled great. Small dinning room with lots of good conversations going on so a bit on the loud side but that was fine. Service was excellent. Will definally be going back.

• Visited November 2013