“Flew half way aroubd the world to get to my favorite 20 years Ago”

Don Pepe Restaurant & Caterers
Ranked #6 of 597 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Portuguese, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Newark Central Business District
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Well being in Buenos Aires we have vaca(cow) pollo or Galena(live) CerroPork) and shrimp and salmon. Ask a portenyo(Argentine what a clam, crab, lobster, and they say what is that?

It is still a good dive with fresh seafood.

Looks the same.

Braving Newark to get to Don Pepe.

It is not like putting up with the traffic up on the top of the isle of Capri.

Anyway, you never go back home, it was bigger in my memory/fantacy of 20 years ago.

However, !we do not care about the ambiance, service and such, or price but that is somewhat important, what is important is that fresh multitude of flavors from the sea.

A lobster tastes different from a crab, a scallop tastes different from a fried flounder,

Sorry I am a preditor but you need to indulge in a continuous diet of brussel sprouts and you will be thin and trim and being a vegetarian.

I do that so I can save up for a fried seafood combination plater after I have peddle 1000 miles.

There is no fried seafood at Don Pepes.

They have the same iberian casserol as they did before with red or green sause.

Actually it is kind of likea a boulibase and a chipino.

It is completely dietetic, no carbs, no fat, and good,

The sause was moderate to good.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Newark. They are not pricey and the portions are large. My family loves eating here.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Don Pepe is a great place with a lot of history .Love the Paella Valenciana. Parking is easy and the service is great

1  Thank Jorge N
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife and I just had a wonderful Sunday night meal at Don Pepe's, and we could not have been more satisfied. The place is easily accessible from Rt 78 via the McCarter Highway and there was plenty of free parking. Though the house was busy there was ample room, the decor was nothing special but there was good quiet and a sense of privacy when we were seated immediately without reservations, and we found the service prompt, charming and efficient, with what seemed an abundance of waitstaff. Cocktails were widely sourced, the appetizer of Spanish cheeses with wine-soaked pears and quince jam was hearty if just a bit pricey, but the chef's signature paella Valencia was delicious, loaded with tender shellfish and, I'm not kidding, easily large enough to feed four, with leftovers. (Almost all the patrons - and they are really patrons, a lot of the diners say they've been coming there regularly for years - leave with full stomachs and wrapped white packages from the kitchen). The fresh salad is delicious and a bargain at $5, and even the table bread - an entire artisan loaf - was well presented. But the best part of the dining experience at Don Pepe's is the other patrons, all of whom are being well fed, well served, well taken care of, all of whom feel they're getting a good value, and most of whom will let you know they're regulars. That added a great sense of enjoyment My wife and I were very satisfied and will certainly return for a lobster special.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

this place is quick & near everything food not bad, service good. I wouyld return if in the area and was in the mood