“Excellent Value, highly recomended”

SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Godshill, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value, highly recomended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2010

Somewhat hesitant due to recent reviews, but what a pleasant surprise. Staff very friendly, hotel clean and welcoming, public areas excellent and room much nicer than expected.

I am a 'clean' freak so notice perhaps more than others. I found nothing to complain about. Carpets were clean in room and public areas. Whilst we, the guests are mainly responsible for knocks and scuffs on the walls, these were not copious or conspicuous, so must be dealt with on a fairly regular basis. Bedding was plentiful and clean, beds were extremely comfortable. Bathrooms were more than adequate and again fully working and clean. The seat on our toilet was a little loose, we did not complaint, but it was still fixed within a day, so they do check these things.

Furnishings were perhaps not to everyones' taste - darker wood and fabrics, but were by no means old and were in good condition. I found the rooms to be much lighter (brighter) than normally found in hotels, and there were plenty of lamps all in working order.

Kitchenette was very useful - have read comments on 'noisy' fridge, and I would agree, but all refrigeration makes a noise and it really did not intrude upon my sleep.

The breakfast was wonderful and plentiful and fully maintained even when very busy. There were quite a few 'groups' of guests, from parties of travellers on coaches, to sports teams which were fully supervised throughout our stay. We did not find this a problem, a quick turnover of diners meant there was very little wait for a place to eat.

Any airport hotel will suffer from traffic noise so I think it unfair to book an airport hotel and then complain about the noise! Yes Spring Hill Suites are between two major routes and 'planes can be see approaching and leaving the airport, but I have stayed in some in a lot worse position.

From my room on the 4th floor I could see the headlights of approaching 'planes but very little noise from them. The two surrounding roads were producing a small amount of noise, but not enough to cause me problems throughout the day or night. I live in a rural village with very little traffic so I believe that if anyone would be disturbed by the extra noise it would have been me!!

We did not drive but used the hotels' shuttle, and I agree it looked as bad as any other airport with roads that would confuse anyone, however, I believe I may be able to help here as I took notes each time I used the shuttle from the airport to the hotel :

From North
I-95 NJ Turnpike, Exit 14, 2nd Right to Frontage Road – Ramada Hotel & Sheraton Hotel on Left, take a sharp right and follow the road signposted 78, merge from the left then turn right into Marriott hotels.
From South
I-95 NJ Turnpike, Exit 14, 2nd Right to Frontage Road - Ramada Hotel & Sheraton Hotel on Left, take a sharp right and follow the road signposted 78, merge from the left then turn right into Marriott hotels.
From West
I-78 east, Exit 58B, At Right to Frontage Road - take a sharp left and follow the road signposted 78, merge from the left then turn right into Marriott hotels.
From Airport
Follow US 1-9 North 1 Mile to Frontage Road Exit – As you see Sheraton and Ramada on right take a sharp left signposted 78 before passing these hotels, merge from the left then turn right into Marriott hotels.

I make no claims that the above are correct, but it is the way the shuttle travels!.

Talking of the shuttles, these were so friendly to use, all of the drivers were friendly and courteous, and extremely helpful and most imporantly ran to time.

We stayed for 7 nights and wished we could have stayed longer, we will certainly not hesitate to return.

I have a small folders of pictures which I will upload.

All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Islandgirl060

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Farmington, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

Clean, comfortable, close to NYC, this hotel is one of three Marriott properties on the same location--the Courtyard and Fairfield suites being the other two. The weekend I stayed at this hotel, was also a weekend of a school trip to NYC. The hotel was full of teens and pre-teens. But while breakfast was a bedlam, overall, the stay was quiet. So that says a lot for hotel. The curtains are not dark and do not shut out the morning sunlight so staying in bed for long is not an option. There were other minor irritants like a lamp with a broken switch--could be turned off only by unplugging it and a leaky toilet water tank. But the staff was polite and very solicitous. And free onsite parking--that is definitely a big deal in the Newark/NYC area. Getting to this place is not easy. I had two GPS devices, both of which failed to recognize the address. Lack of restaurant on the premises is a problem, though there are several restaurants which will deliver to the hotel. In future, if the price differential is not big, I might prefer to stay at the Courtyard. But for the price, Springhill is definitely not bad. They do serve a hot breakfast and you can make your own waffles.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

Our room at this hotel was very clean even by my standards. The furniture looked practically new and decor was beautiful. The only issues I had with the room itself was 1) the loud mini-fridge 2) both the wired and wireless internet were slow and 3) the heat for the room came from a window box fan right next to the bed and it was quite loud. I knew I wouldn't sleep if it was kicking on and off all night so I turned the heat off and used the spare blanket in the closet. The front desk staff was a whole different issue. I always ask in my reservation to be placed away from the elevator and vending machines knowing that they may not honor my request. When I checked in I again asked if it was possible and the man said "no problem at all, your room is all the way down the hall." When I got to my room, it was the second from the elevator and right next door to the vending machines, not "down the hall" at all. I decided to tough it out as the noise level in the room seemed fine. I then called and asked for a wakeup call as I had a very early morning flight to catch. The same man said no problem. I thankfully also set my phone alarm because I never received my wakeup call in the morning. I don't know if they were short-staffed but the front desk clearly needed some help. The location of this hotel (along with the Fairfield and Courtyard Marriott next door) makes it very difficult to get to, especially for those not familiar with the maze of roads around Newark Airport. A better option would be the hotels located next to the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall, but those hotels do tend to be priced higher.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Concord, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

Our overnight stay began with the van driver leaving two pieces of luggage on the curb at the airport. We never heard the end of the story. Fortunately they weren't ours. We were then met with a reception staff that was totally indifferent to it's customers. We had to wait for our room to be ready. Once in the room, everything looked shabby. The shower curtain stinked of mold. The rug was wet...I hoped it was from steaming, didn't ask but only wore my slippers after that. You can hear the planes all night long. And there is no restaurant anywhere near by so we were stuck ordering awful awful chinese take out. The only 'good' I can say is there were no bedbugs.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fiddleskiyogi
Isle of Lewis, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

We booked this hotel for one night after a late flight arrival. We were delighted with the hotel on arrival, the staff on our arrival were very friendly and helpful. We had ajoining rooms which was great as we also had extended family on our visit to New York. The sofa area with microwave is great with a young family.

The room was clean and we had a great view out to New York city. My only complaint was that the bathroom was too small.

The buffet breakfast is a great idea but there could have been more staff on duty to keep the area clean and tidy.

I would definatley return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Hamilton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

Spent a night here this week. Got a great rate with a RoomSaver coupon so I was happy. My room, with a King bed was at the end of the hall and connected to another room which is annoying.

The hotel and room are in decent shape and clean (I notice details like small stains on wallpaper, but the bed, halls, carpet and bathroom were acceptable.) This property still has old tube TVs with marginal reception and not enough channels.

The place was packed and I was unable to change to another room. I could hear all kinds of noise through the connecting door (like cabinets and things slamming). Also, the a/c is very noisy and there were other thumps and bangs coming from within the building. It is opposite the airport and between the NJ Turnpike/Rt 78 and Routes 1 & 9. These are highly traveled roads that are in pretty bad shape so you will hear trucks hitting potholes and banging around. You'll also hear airplane noise. (I can live with traffic and plane sounds, it's just the noises INSIDE that bugged me.)

Couldn't get near the breakfast buffet as there were at least 3 bus loads of teens around. Looked like the usual SHS fare: make your own waffles, cereals, breads, juices and coffee-I just checked out and went on my way.

Nothing around to eat so you;ll have to order in. I wasn't about to wait over an hour past 9 PM for dinner so I snacked on some crackers I had with me. I considered driving over near Jersey Gardens and hitting the IHOP (maybe 5-10 minutes away) but I was too lazy.

All in all the hotel isn't bad. Friendly staff so that was nice, reliable shuttle with a very nice young man as the driver! Plenty of gated parking-no real complaints. The place could use a redo and needs new TVs but if you just need something pre flight or pre cruise, this place should be fine. I would call it 3.5 as it was above average, but I wouldn't say Very Good as I really didn't sleep well at all due to all the noises.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank cruisermeg
harveys lake pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

We recently stayed here with family from Texas who wanted to go into the city. We usually stay in the city, but did not want to pay the high prices, so we found this one for $129 a night military rate. Very nice staff, and spacious room with 2 dbls and sofabed, microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker in a counter area. Comfy beds too. Nice pool and hot tub. Very easy access to Lincoln Tunnel. 10 minute drive to the Newark Penn Station. We parked around the corner from the train station. Ok in the daytime, but we were very nervous at night coming back. PATH train was fine though. Very well lit up at night. Takes you into the World Trade Center. If you want to go uptown either get on the E blueline subway and take it to the A C bluelin or get off the PATH train at the 33rd street stop and crossover to the 33rd street train. Not hard at all. Everyone had a great time. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family