“chaotic ground floor experience makes for an uncomfortable stay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport

SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark
San Francisco, California
“chaotic ground floor experience makes for an uncomfortable stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I did a one night stay at the SpringHill Suites between flights this past week and ended up not having the best impressions of the place, so I thought I would advise other TripAdvisor users of what to expect before they actually go through the say.

The most important thing to note here is that the hotel -- or at least the common areas -- are being dramatically renovated.

So at the time of this writing, the main entrance is from the parking lot behind the hotel (while the front entrance to the hotel has a collection of dumpsters for construction refuse).

The actual check-in counter is in a little nook at the end of the temporary entrance hallway. The size and shape of the agent's nook reminded me of a by-the-hour flop hotel, which I thought wasn't really appropriate for a hotel this size. The staff I interacted with at check-in and check-out, as well as the shuttle bus drives, were unexpectedly friendly and nice.

The breakfast area is off to the side of the lobby and it's currently walled off from the construction area via particle board. The breakfast area is also the next location that is scheduled to be renovated. Items on offer at breakfast included bulk heated trays of scrambled eggs and sausage patties. There were also plenteous bagels, cups of yogurt and even some fresh fruit (bananas) to choose from. I wasn't happy with the selection either as during my visit, there was an intense & chaotic horde of at least two or three tour bus loads of foreign tourists invading the breakfast area. And the couple staff that were in the breakfast room stuffed with more than 60 people were overwhelmed with trying to keep things stocked and tables cleaned. Consequently I was repulsed by the whole ground floor experience. For massive tour groups like this, the hotel should have either set up a separate room to serve breakfast or simply arranged things a bit better to keep everything comfortable.

But how about the room itself? The room I was assigned was a ok size, with a tiny kitchen area. I can definitely understand other reviewer's complaints about taking an average size room, putting a bit of a wall between one section and another and calling it a "suite" (i.e. it's not really a suite). The bathroom and W.C. is in a space where the door can be closed while the actual sink is outside (i.e. useful for sharing space… one person can do their makeup while the other gets showered up).

Internet is reachable via an Ethernet port next to the work desk. I didn't try my WiFi to see if the signal strength or speed were any good.

The flat panel TV has composite IN and a USB input in case you want to hook up your computer to watch iTunes or Netflix movies.

There was no room safe in my room closet, but I did find a luggage rack, ironing board and extra blankets & pillows.

My biggest complaint about the room was the climate control. I'm one of those sleepers who likes to have air circulating in the room (and a bit of white noise) while I sleep, and while the thermostat has "auto" and "manual" settings for the fan speed, the fan still turned off when the temperature reached the correct level despite me setting the speed to be "high" manually. What I had been hoping for was for the temperature to stay the same but for the fan to keep pushing air around the room. I woke up frequently when the fan would turn off in the middle of the night. Ah well.

I wouldn't recommend driving to this location if you're not familiar with the area, as even a GPS would have crazy driving directions to get to this collection of three Marriotts (SpringHill, Courtyard and Fairfield). If you're flying in, count the number of turns the shuttle bus has to take from P4 and you'll understand.

Would I stay here again? Even if it were cheaper than the $150 per night I paid? Probably not, and especially not until their renovations are completely done. There are two other Marriott branded hotels (a Courtyard and a Fairfield) within walking distance, a hundred feet away and across a parking lot for you to choose from. The Courtyard is likely the best, as it has the most amenities, followed by the actual suites of the Fairfield (and not the non-suite rooms of Fairfield… bleh).

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. If you do make it out here, I hope you have a great stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Although the hotel was under renovation, we were warmly greeted, the room had everything you needed. The suite is well designed where someone can be sleeping and another working in the living space. Microwave, fridge in room. Shuttle service.

Room Tip: A little tricky to get to as it wasn't on our GPS system...look for the Fairfield Inn next door
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Pat J
ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

If you are flying into Newark and taking a shuttle, the Springhill Suites might be a decent choice. However, we arrived after dark by car and drove around for 45 minutes trying to find a way into the hotel. We had followed the directions from the hotel and our GPS, but the unlit entryway into the hotel area was nearly impossible to see until we had driven past and ended up on another freeway. Once we finally arrived, our room was fine. We hadn't eaten, but we didn't want to drive, so we walked to the "restaurant" at the Courtyard Hotel. The front desk person at our hotel said that we should just walk and we did...on an unlit street with no sidewalk or walking area where we competed with traffic. Once we arrived at the Courtyard, we asked for directions to the restaurant and the front desk person said we were there--we thought it was the hotel lobby. With no other choices, we had a sandwich, but it wasn't what we expected. In the future, if we are in that area, we will stay away from the airport area and heed the advice of other Trip Advisor contributors!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wilson B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear ohioblink,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the SpringHill Suites, Newark Liberty. I am disappointed to hear that we fell short of your expectations regarding several aspects of your stay and apologize sincerely for the issues that you encountered. While we do not have a restaurant on-site, we have several area restaurants that deliver and often recommend The Courtyard Bistro, two doors down from us. As for your concerns regarding access to the hotel, we are working with the Department of Transportation to ease the travel of our guests. Thank you again for your candidness. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service again in the future.

T: 973.624.5300 I Office: 973-741-1902 I F: 973.624.3355 I C: 973.392.1403
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Newark Liberty • 652 U.S. Highway 1-9 South • Newark, NJ 07114
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

If you are driving your own car do not book this hotel. Check other reviews! We drove in circles and finally had to have a cab from Newark airport "escort" us in (check reviews we were not the first to do this!). Rts. 1& 9 is a full speed highway, the hotel has horrible signs. GPS would not be of assistance, nor calling the hotel while driving - the speed is too fast and the turns and options on the highway are crazy. Once you drive by the hotel you cannot turn around easily.

If you are arriving by airport shuttle or taxi this hotel is average.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ottawa036,

Thank you, for taking the time to post a review and share your comments. I certainly understand your frustration with not being able to find out hotel after a long trip and apologize for the experience. Please know that we are working closely with the Department of Transportation to ease access to our hotel. In the meantime, many of our guests find it useful, when using a GPS, to locate it on “places of interest”. We can also provide step by step written directions via email, text or phone. We strive to make it as easy as possible for our valued guest to access our hotel. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope we can be of service again in the future.

T: 973.624.5300 I Office: 973-741-1902 I F: 973.624.3355 I
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed in this particular hotel for a total of 9 hours max (Arrived at 7pm and out the door by 4am for an early flight) but I wanted to leave a review because my stay was really nice. The staff at the front desk were very pleasant and professional. Check-in didn't take long at all. They handed me a stack of menus so that I could order delivery, which was much appreciated since this was my first time to Newark. My room was GREAT. I'll post the pictures I took at a later date. The decor was quite impressive and my bed looked so inviting after a 3 hour drive.
I turned the air off immediately, but even with the quietness, I could barely hear the traffic going by.
One of the things I was turned off by was the bathroom area. To this day, I still don't know why hotels, and especially a SUITE such as this would place the sink and mirror outside of the actual bathroom. It seems strange to have a sink in the sleeping area. And the absolute worst part was finding the hotel. It was a nightmare because even my GPS couldn't locate it. It's located on the fastest moving highway I've ever driven on, so as soon as you pull out, you better MOVE. Thumbs up for the proximity to the airport :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bellevue, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Arrived at this hotel after a cross country flight. I knew the flight was arriving late so I purchased my reservation for three nights in advance. My credit card had been billed a month before arriving. I was told at the front desk that the hotel was oversold for the night. Another gentlemen and a family of four suffered the same fate. They put us in a taxi for a twenty minute ride to another hotel in the heart of Newark. Arrived at 2am. We were comped for the night, but the inconvenience was not worth the compensation.
Oh, and they have a rat problem. The rats were running around outside while we waited for the taxi. The manager said: "all the hotels around here have the same problem." Comforting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tom H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and relay your experience. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced upon your arrival. Unfortunately, due to a computer error we had to relocate several of our valued guests. When a situation such as this arises we do our very best to compensate our guests to the best of our ability, which is why we arranged car service and overnight accommodations at a nearby hotel. Thank you again for your comments. I hope we can be of service again in the future.

T: 973.624.5300 I Office: 973-741-1902 I F: 973.624.3355 I
Saginaw, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Clean property, although the hotel is currently in the middle of a facelift--not too much of an inconvenience.

Room was bright, clean, but not really laid out well. The heat/air conditioning unit was built directly into the window, and was about 5 inches from the bed. I like a room to be cool, but couldn't turn the air on because it blows DIRECTLY into the bed--I'd have woken up an icicle and would have been stuffed up.

I have a gripe--but not directly related to this specific hotel. Between SpringHill Suites, Comfort Suites, Fairfield Suites, etc--seems like all the chains are taking regular-sized rooms, and adding 1/4 wall divider and calling it a 'suite'. This room was slightly larger than a regular hotel room, but with the divider, it becomes a 'suite'...Not even to the level of an Embassy Suites property--at least they have separate doors and 2 TVs at most of their properties. I guess with all of my travels, I know what a real suite is, and these are not that.

Breakfast and internet included. Internet was painfully slow, even at midnight when I arrived when there probably weren't a lot of people sucking up bandwidth. Breakfast was typical continental with cereals, muffins, bagels and yogurt. I passed on it.

No real comments on staff either way...At check-in, they had my key ready and a bill was under my door...So I probably spent a collective 30 seconds with the staff.

May stay here again, may not. There was nothing spectacular nor horrible about the place...Just a typical cookie-cutter airport hotel. In the future, shop by price or your favorite chain.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business