Courtyard by Marriott Newark Downtown
$152
  • Pool
$118
Hotwire.com
All reviewsbroad streetprudential centerparking garagestarbucks coffeestreet levelnew yorkdevils gametrain stationevery hoursecurity guardhockey gameattending an eventroom keyvery nice hotelfree shuttleminute ridebeds were comfortable
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I just completed a three night stay and my only regret is that I didn't discover this hotel for a previous stay. The hotel is attractive and clean, everything in the room worked well and the bed was comfortable. All the staff members greeted me warmly and Alyse, who checked me an out, was just the front desk person every hotel should be lucky to have - she's outgoing, friendly and very efficient. I usually opt to stay in Newark for my visits to the NY area. The train station is a short four or five block away and there is direct train service straight to Penn Station and PATH trains that go to lower Manhattan. This is a great hotel option for the NY area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank hleong2000
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Newark Downtown. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and we will be sure to recognize Alyse for her efforts.

Nicholas Pappagallo

Reviewed February 24, 2014

"Elise" is how I heard her name on the phone, but her name tag spelled it differently - Alese? Alyse? In any case, she was great. Knows how to take care of a Marriott Platinum Premier Elite member, although I get the idea that she would take care of anyone just as well. The hotel itself is a perfect oasis in an area that's a little rough. My family and I never felt unsafe, but we're not used to a Marriott property literally across the street from a pawn shop and a bail bond office. Make sure you go to Hobby's Deli, a 4 minute walk away from the hotel.

Room Tip: Not on the street side - sirens and other noise all night long.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, we will be sure to recognize Alyse for her outstanding service.

Nicholas Pappagallo

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here for just one evening as we were in town for a friend's birthday celebration. This hotel is immaculate, modern, and has very welcoming friendly staff. The rooms were nicely furnished. Typical of a Courtyard style. The price was great, in fact I convinced some friends to cancel their more expensive reservations at the Hilton and to stay here. They were glad they did.
There is a very nice lobby with ample seating and a coffee/ snack bar. My only complaint, which is really only personal preference is that they serve only Starbucks coffee which I detest! There were no local shops or cafes open on a Sunday morning where I could get a regular cup of coffee. The local merchants seem to be shut up tight on the weekend mornings.
The location is great as it is right next to the Prudential Center. In fact I'll be returning soon to attend a Devils hockey game. Nice to know there's a reliable and safe place to stay.
When in Newark, do not hesitate to stay here

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank riodoc
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

We're so glad you had the opportunity to stay with us and see how close we are to the Prudential Center! If you prefer Dunkin Donuts' coffee there is a location just 2 blocks away from the hotel. Thank you for staying with us!

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We had an unexpected stay at this property in Newark when our flights were cancelled and we were stranded during a snowstorm. We were unable to book directly with the hotel because they did not have any inventory left, but were able to book two rooms through booking.com. (They did not have any rooms that could accommodate six - ourselves and four children ages 15, 13, 9 & 7.)

The rooms were beautiful and well-appointed with gorgeous spa-like bathroom - shower only. They were spacious, clean, and beds were comfortable. Wi-fi signal was strong.

What keeps me from rating this property as excellent is that we had a few service issues. The complementary shuttle from the airport was slow. Each of the other Marriott hotels came two to three times before our shuttle arrived. We ended up traveling from the airport to the hotel in a 10 passenger van with 18 people and luggage! When we arrived at the hotel at 9:45 p.m. the restaurant and bar were closing and would not stay open to accommodate their new guests. We had been waiting for the shuttle at the airport since 6pm and had not eaten so we were quite cranky. "Luckily", our daughter has food allergies so we did have enough of her safe food in our cooler to take the edge off our hunger. There is also a small convenience-type shop where you could buy concessions near the front desk.

When we opened the door to our second room, we discovered that it had not been cleaned from its previous guests. I told the guest service agent at the front desk. She apologized and gave us a new room, further down the hall but still on the same floor.

This property is conveniently close to both the airport and NYC with complementary airport shuttle. The neighbourhood seems somewhat sketchy and there was a robbery directly across the street during the snowstorm the night we stayed there. Other guests heard a bang and looked out their window to see that two men had driven a truck into the storefront and were loading televisions into their truck. The police were still there when we left at noon.

This would be an ideal hotel for someone traveling on business.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Hello BelgraviaBB,

I'm so glad we were able to accommodate you and your family during that terrible snow storm. I'm not sure how long you were waiting for our shuttle, but it does run only once an hour. Additionally, I do sincerely apologize for any of the service issues you exprienced while staying here. I would like to assure you it is not the norm. I do welcome you to contact me directly at matt.garber@marriott.com so I can address any of the problems you encountered more personally. I do appreciate your feedback as it is a great learning tool for our entire staff.

Regards,

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Hotel looks to be brand new, with a very clean and modern design. Rooms are very spacious by NYC standards. Hotel is right next door to the Prudential center. Newark Penn Station is walkable distance, I clocked 7 minutes 50 seconds door-to-door walking briskly. Immediate area isn't bad. I'd say it is comparable to the newly gentrified parts of Harlem in terms of conveniences, safety, and atmosphere. There are plenty of little restaurants nearby, including the venerable Dinosaur BBQ. I walked to Newark Penn Station during the afternoon, and streets were pretty lively with people out and about. I walked back to the hotel at night, did not feel too unsafe. The hotel first floor is normally staffed with a security guard during the day, and no guard after hours at night, but entry into the building requires your access card at night, as do the elevators, so there is no riff raff hanging around at any time. Parking garage is around the street corner, $21/day billed to the room.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank zmah
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Hello zmah!

Thank you so much for your glowing review of our hotel. We are glad our hotel and its' location were able to suit your needs and we hope to see you again.

Best wishes,