“Very Good Hotel with only 2 Flaws” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Newark Downtown

Courtyard Newark Downtown
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Frederick, Maryland
“Very Good Hotel with only 2 Flaws”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for an overnight business trip. The hotel is fairly new and had all the usual amenities. Check in was quick and easy and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room had a king sized bed that was firm and comfortable. There is a small closet with an iron board and iron, flat screen TV, small couch and table and dresser drawers to put your folding clothes in if desired. There was a mini fridge in the room with small coffee pot. The bathroom was spacious with a great shower and plenty of towels and a hair dryer. I ate breakfast at the cafe downstairs which was average. There were 2 main flaws at this hotel that was a major reason why I did not give it an Excellent rating. First, the hotel is located in a horrible neighborhood. I did not feel safe walking around the neighborhood. It is walking distance to a few restaurants and it is an ideal location for events at the Prudential Center. However, the area was run down very scary looking. Two (and this was the biggest complaint). I received a room that was facing Broad Street. For some reason the hotel did not think much to building the hotel with heavy walls/construction. Broad Street has a plethora of activity around the clock and I was constantly awaken to cars, emergency vehicles, trash trucks, and semi trucks. The noise on that street was too much and put a big damper on my sleep. 2 of my work colleagues had rooms on the opposite side of the hotel and they had no complaints. My suggestion to others who are going to stay here is to ask for a room that is NOT facing the Broad Street side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room that is NOT facing Broad Street. You will hear the traffic all night long.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and you feedback Chris G. I'm very happy that you enjoyed our hotel and all of the amenities that we offer. Being located in a downtown city, we keep our hotel's guests' safety as a number one priority. We do so by providing 24 hour security. Again, I appreciate your feedback and hope we can host you again soon.

Regards,

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Perfect place to stay if you are attending an event at Prudential Center. Easy to get to...courteous staff and clean rooms. Parking garage parking available at an added cost. It is not attached to the hotel. It looks as though the area has new incoming restaurants, but as of our visit the food available was limited and we had our dinner at Prudential Center.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rariggs
Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. The incoming restaurant you referred to is Joe's Crab Shack, which is conveniently located attached to our hotel. We are proud to announce our new neighbors are officially open! I hope you return again soon to try it out for yourself.

Fondly,

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Block from NJ Penn station, takes you straight to NYC within 10 mins. Very nice hotel and great staff. Only con... Can't access parking garage from inside hotel and $21 per day parking. Overall great!

Room Tip: Great alternative instead of paying for costly rooms in NYC
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a beautiful brand new hotel. The fitness center was very nice as were the rooms. The food in the little restaurant was great. I did have a problem with the young lady who checked me in and her poor attitude. I also found dirty items remaining in my room upon check in from the previous occupants. The shuttle driver that took me to the airport was fantastic! I had a room that faced Broad and the view of the buildings and pedestrians was wonderful! I did hear quite a bit of noise from the street, though nothing to keep me up at night. I would probably stay here again in hopes that I just was there on an off day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ashley A
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback Ashley C. While I'm glad you found our hotel to be beautiful, I am extremely disappointed in the service you received. I can ensure you that the next time you stay with us the level of service you receive will be that of our high Marriott expectations. Please contact me directly at matt.garber@marriott.com to provide me some more details of your recent stay so I can make certain this doesn't happen again.

Regards,
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel is brand new, super clean and the staff there are excellent. I disliked the parking and having to drag my bags around the corner to the front entrance to the hotel. I was very skeptical about walking around Newark alone--even within a block or two of the hotel. I think once the new restaurants on the corner are finished, this will be a great addition to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your response kym72. I'm glad you found our staff excellent and our hotel super clean! We are so excited here for the Joe's Crab Shack to be opening downstairs from us, which should be in the next few weeks. Also, we are working on a pass-through from the parking garage in to our hotel, which we hope to have open by the end of the year. I hope to see you back with us soon.

Orange, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

While waiting for another hotel's shuttle, I saw the Courtyard's van. Next trip to Newark, I made the reservation. WOW! This is a brand new hotel and they'll meet you at either the Newark Liberty airport or Penn Station if coming in by Amtrak. Those at the counter were super, even gave me a special welcome gift. Just an all 'round great place to stay if you need a spot in the city.

Room Tip: Shuttle will take you to a few restaurants in the area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

we wanted to visit NYC, but being with different age children, we needed 2 rooms to accomodate everyone, at a decent prize, this Courtyard being close to PENN Station was perfect for us to go in and back to NYC and also having the possibility of the shuttle bus from and to the hotel was perfect, and we had the pleasure of the best driver (louis), what a gentleman, the personnel at the hotel was also impeccable, so polite and helpful, we also appreciated the fact that we could use the breakfast room and use our own food, which rendered our trip more economical. In all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone that needs to go to NYC at a reasonable rate, the only hick would be the seedy aspect of the streets surrounding the hotel as we cannot venture out at night as the police did not advise, but other then that rooms are super clean and just as nice as a 5 star hotel....good luck for the future

Room Tip: some rooms have large shower stalls,what a dream, as far as I'm concern I would only have that t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lisepcha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Newark Central Business District
Hotel Indigo Newark Downtown
Newark Central Business District
BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel

Been to Courtyard Newark Downtown? Share your experiences!