“Go! But make reservations!”
Review of Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
Reserve with OpenTable
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 591 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We tried for a table at Dino BBQ before a concert and were surprised that it would only be a 40 minute wait. Well, the real surprise was that it ended up being over a 60 minute wait for a 30 minute meal - but it was worth it. The food and drink were excellent. The place was crowded, and those with reservations were, of course, given preferential seating. We did get to our show with plenty of time, but two tips if you plan to visit: (1) Make reservations if possible! OR (2) Do what we saw lots of others doing - order take-out from the Dino BBQ Take-out Window next door and take advantage of their outdoor seating. We agree with most other reviews that this place is a welcome surprise in Newark!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

WHile I have eaten at the DInosaur in Syracuse, Rochester and Albany, this was my first visit to the Newark, NJ location. The service was outstanding, starting with Inez who called to confirm our party of 7 for Saturday night. She was sooo pleasant and ensured that our table was ready upon our arrival. Our server, Michael, asked if we had been to Dinosaru before wand when I shared that I have been to most, he asked if I had ever been into the smokehouse. When he heard the answer was no, he went to Dan, his manager and asked for a tour for us. this waws approved and Dan was a great tour guide once we finished our delicious meal.
Dan explained all of the challenges of building out he Newark location. It was well worth it!
The food was as good as every other Dinosaur and they made us feel especialy welcome and valued as a customer. While I live an hour away, I will go back regularly.
I can't wait until they open in Philly as I travel there on business and a great opportunity to enjoy more Dinosaur.

Thanks to Inez, Michael and Dan for making my family and me feel so very welcome in their restaurant and valued as a loyal Dinosaur customer!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Just had one of the best BBQ dinners I've had in the past year. Next door to the PRU Center, the location was perfect, the wait staff outstanding, and the food AMAZING!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed in Newark on a visit to New York City. Dinosaur Barbeque was recommended to us by our hotel staff since we were too tired to go far. It was a 4 block walk to Dinosaur from our hotel in a nice area. The food was extremely good, great service, and very pleasant atmosphere. The barbeque was much better than Virgil's in Manhattan. We will definitely return here.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Ate here May '13. I believe on a Thursday night, but not sure. Wandered in after checking out Tripadvisor. Seated promptly; restaurant was busy, but not completely full. Checked out the menu, as with so many places it's a tad dark. Or maybe my eyesight is just bad.

Decided on the 2 meat dinner. Had brisket and pulled pork. Both very good; they came with some sauce on them & a couple jalapenos too. More sauce in bottles on table, if you so desire.

My sides were mac & cheese (excellent!) and kale with black-eyed peas (very good, but should have been called black-eyed peas with kale, as there was more p's than kale).

They also have a short but nice selection of domestic, import, AND craft beers. I did a 4 beer sampler & an ice tea. BONUS - they have sweet tea, which is hard to find outside of the south u.s.a. But it's de rigeur in a bbq place, ya know?

Didn't do dessert, no room after the meal. Service was very good. Overall the restaurant appeared clean & well tended to. It's been awhile since I was there, and I'm too lazy to dig out my receipt, but I want to say with tip and all I probably spent around $25-$30.

Overall highly recommended, and I'll definitely be going back!