“Terrific barbeque and great atmosphere”
Review of Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
Reserve with OpenTable
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 600 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed in Newark on a visit to New York City. Dinosaur Barbeque was recommended to us by our hotel staff since we were too tired to go far. It was a 4 block walk to Dinosaur from our hotel in a nice area. The food was extremely good, great service, and very pleasant atmosphere. The barbeque was much better than Virgil's in Manhattan. We will definitely return here.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Ate here May '13. I believe on a Thursday night, but not sure. Wandered in after checking out Tripadvisor. Seated promptly; restaurant was busy, but not completely full. Checked out the menu, as with so many places it's a tad dark. Or maybe my eyesight is just bad.

Decided on the 2 meat dinner. Had brisket and pulled pork. Both very good; they came with some sauce on them & a couple jalapenos too. More sauce in bottles on table, if you so desire.

My sides were mac & cheese (excellent!) and kale with black-eyed peas (very good, but should have been called black-eyed peas with kale, as there was more p's than kale).

They also have a short but nice selection of domestic, import, AND craft beers. I did a 4 beer sampler & an ice tea. BONUS - they have sweet tea, which is hard to find outside of the south u.s.a. But it's de rigeur in a bbq place, ya know?

Didn't do dessert, no room after the meal. Service was very good. Overall the restaurant appeared clean & well tended to. It's been awhile since I was there, and I'm too lazy to dig out my receipt, but I want to say with tip and all I probably spent around $25-$30.

Overall highly recommended, and I'll definitely be going back!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Visit never disappoint me or my friend!!!. The service from start to finish was flawless. I could not fault it. Whenever one of us wanted to go to the toilet our chair was pulled out for us, whenever our water was near empty, it was replenished and the staff engaged in friendly banter which made the night more enjoyable.

The food was exceptional.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I ate here for lunch while I was on a recent business trip to Newark. I had been wandering around looking for a place to eat (there do not appear to be many restaurants in downtown Newark) and chanced upon this place by luck more than judgement, although it's actually situated nicely in the city center. The place was packed when I went in, full of happy lunchers apparently. I was on my own, so I had a seat at the bar, and was immediately greeted with a warm and friendly smile. My food and drink was served up in no time. I had the chicken and sausage gumbo, and it was really delicious. I may never come back to Newark again, but if I do I will be sure to eat here again.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is a fun place if you want to have some delicious BBQ in a very unusual setting. It is right next to the Prudential Center, home of the NJ Devils, the SHU Pirates and numerous shows and convenient to many local office buildings. The decor is exposed brick and wood with tin ceilings.

Our waiter was terrific and our meals came quickly. I have ordered the pulled pork in the past and had a breaded chicken sandwich most recently. Both were delicious, as were the sides. The sweet tea is really good, brewed daily, tasting as good as any I had in the South. Refills were free.

1  Thank johnbayeux