Fairfield Inn & Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Newark
arizona
“room given away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

we had reservations for 2 rooms on 9/18/12. A storm closed the airport so all planes arrived very late. Our room was there when we arrived. But my sister's room was given away. My sister notified the hotel at 5:00 PM that her palne had been diverted but that she would be there at some point. We arrived at 9:00 PM and were assured that her room would be there when she arrived. She arrived at 12:30 AM and there was NO ROOM. We stood in the lobby until 2:45 AM when they decided we were not going away and a call was made to someone who authorized a suite be given to my sister. The clerk had the gall to say they were giving her this room at no additional cost. Never trust this hotel to honor your reservation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank quilteragatha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Livingston, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Unfortunately I was displaced during the storm with my family. Newark was one of the few places that the power companies were restoring first, so I took the opportunity to get a room for my family.

The staff was truly unbelievable under the circumstances and was doing everything they could to accommodate the unusual demand for rooms. The hotel was clean, but the room had a stale air odor. That could have been due to the fact that it was without power, so I do not want to hold that against them. The rooms are quite small. If you get a cot in a King room, you will not have room to walk. The bathrooms were also small, and the front desk lacked simple toiletries like a toothbrush, which is often forgotten by a traveler.

The fitness room is small, but had your basics. The pool was very small. Basically a wading pool. You would certainly not be able to swim laps (unless you want to be turning every few strokes).

The breakfast was typical for this type of business/travel hotel. Typical eggs, waffles, cereals, juice and coffee. Breakfast area is in lobby and can accommodate a large crowd.

All in all this was a decent hotel. I would not choose to return, but you will not be dissatisfied.If you are a traveler stuck for the night alone, it will do just fine, but for a family of any size, one room will not work out for you.

Once again it is important to note that the front desk staff is super. These guys work hard to insure every guest is happy, and they never say no.

Room Tip: Corner suites give you a living room that at least has more living space if you require it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Between the runways of Newark Airport and the beautiful Northern State Prison on the other side of the freeway, you'll find your collection of three Marriotts (each separated by parking lots or a hundred or so feet of unmoved grass & no-man lands). During a recent mileage run, I did a two night stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites.

I think I understand why there's such a dramatic difference in the reviews for this hotel. I didn't think the Marriott sub-brands had different kinds of rooms but this Fairfield certainly does. The first room I was given, on the third floor, felt very utilitarian, unadorned and not comfortable at all. Since I was a single traveler and this room had two beds, I went back down to the front desk and asked if I could have a room with a king bed. The second room I was given, on the sixth floor, was an actual hotel-room sized suite. Much better outfitted and more comfortable for me.

In my sixth floor room, there were two flat panel TV's (one in the living room area and one in the bed area). There was also a stereo system in the living room area (which also had a couch and a nice easy chair). Between the living room area and the bathroom was a small mini-bar area, with an empty fridge and a microwave (you can get items to cook from the little store area next to the reception). There were dimmer light switches to turn a few of the lights down to low and soothing.

There's no room safe in the room.

Down on the first floor you'll find a small gym room and a small indoor pool and jaqquzi.

Aside from the breakfast area, there's no restaurant on the property or anywhere nearby. I went next door to the Courtyard (which has a "Bistro") to find something reasonable to eat for dinner before 10 p.m. on the night of my arrival. Dinner at the Bistro was okay; a burger, hummus appetizer and a beer came in just under $30. Not much ambience to the Bistro though, but at those prices, they're charging like a full service Marriott. The night crew at the front desk mistakenly told me breakfast ended at 10 a.m., so when I came down to attempt breakfast a few minutes after 9 a.m., everything was already packed away. Grrrrr. So I think the hours for breakfast are actually 6 until 9 p.m.

In terms of the shuttle bus, getting picked up at the P4 AirTrain station was a piece of cake. They arrive at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour (and the departures from the lobby are on the hour and 30 minutes past the hour). I'm glad somebody else did the driving; judging from the crazy amount of twists and turns the bus has to do to get to the property, it feels like the place is in the (impossible to find) Smurf Village. If you have an early morning departure (i.e. 6 a.m.), you can try sweet talking the bus driver to have him drop you off directly at the terminal.

I did a subsequent stay a week or so later at the SpringHill Suites hotel across the driveway from the Fairfield and between the two locations, I very much prefer the Fairfield's suites. They just simply felt more comfortable and classy.

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!

Room Tip: ask for one of the suites and not a basic room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank MichaelInSF
Sitka, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here coming and going from New Jersey. The rooms were fine and the staff was friendly. The stay was a little disappointing in two ways. On our way out of Newark the poll was closed because the hot tub was not working. Why close the whole pool and not just the hot tub? Drain it and let us swim. I need the workout and with arthritis swimming is my best exercise.

The breakfast was good but on my way out of Newark I had to leave before it opened. The desk promised us a box breakfast on checkout. It was not available. if you want it you need to insist I guess.

The hotel is a little hard to find in the spaghetti maze of highways around the airport. It is confusing and the directions are not exactly clear. Actually I am not sure how they could be in this maze. I have had this problem in the past so I took the van and rented a car the next day. On return I checked in the car and took the van to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rich M
Deepwater, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

One of the best hotels I have stayed in when it came to service. My son lives out of the country and we were meeting for a 10 day visit. First my son calls me after I had booked our suite and said his flight would be in a day early so I called the hotel and told them what was going on and that we had not seen him in over a year and I needed to add a night and they said no problem. I had booked a jr. suite when my son arrived they were waiting to pick him up and it was like 1am as a welcome they put him in the king suite at no extra charge pretty cool. The entire stay was like that perfect service. The location is a little tricky but they provided transportation recommended delivery food and restaurants took us to the airtran gave us the 411 on trains and subway schedules, helped us with reservations to the 9-11 memorial they went above and beyond to make us feel at home they even sent the maintenance man up to our room with a luggage scale to weigh my bags before we left so I knew for sure they met the limits. They provided a great hot breakfast every day fresh fruit on the counter every day. There lobby and dinning area were so nice that several nights I sat down there and watched tv and felt very much at home. They had a nice pool/hot tub, exercise room and even a laundry facility. Every single one of the staff that I encountered could not have been nicer or more helpful. I definitely would stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sugarbush,Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Missed our connecting flight and went online to trip advisor to find a hotel with shuttle and breakfast. Perfect for our needs. Beds were very comfortable, breakfast Ok, service wonderful. Shuttle ran on time and driver very knowledgeable about airport logistics.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Sugarbushvacations
Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Normally I wouldn't give a bad review, because we do so much research pre vacation, so everything usually turns out great. This is the exception. We did the research, but were disappointed with the hotel.

Location: It is very confusing to get in/out of. There are so many criss-crossing highways, and construction in the area, that it is extremely difficult and dangerous to get in or out. Even with a GPS, we were often racing across many lanes of highway to quickly get into the driveway of the Courtyard hotel next door. It's probably a great location if you just want to catch a shuttle over to the airport, and don't actually want to stay a while.

Check-in: Was quick. No complaints.

Parking: Is free, and behind a gate that you need your room key to get in/out. However ... the first night, and the second night, we saw a rat in the parking lot.

Internet: Is painfully slow. It seems even slower during the evening hours, perhaps when many others are also using it. The business area computers are also very slow, and we gave up on trying to use them to print off anything.

Rooms: Are OK. We had the king bed, plus pull out couch in the living room, because there were no rooms left with two beds. The room has a strange angled living room. King bed was comfortable, but the pull out couch was horrible, as expected.

Breakfast: Very average. Toast, muffins, juice, cold cereal, waffles. No hot eggs, bacon, or sausages, like other hotels. The breakfast area has a poor layout, in kind of a U-shape, so it's hard to reach anything when there are lots of people eating at the same time.

Pool and hot tub: We've never seen anyone using the indoor pool and hot tub. We used the hot tub one night, but most of the jets weren't working.

Price: Was the only good thing about the hotel. We didn't want to pay the Manhattan prices, but wanted to be within driving distance. And it is within driving distance. But I still won't stay here next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends