“Late Arrival...too expensive for what you get.”

Best Western Plus Newark Airport West
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Toronto, Canada
“Late Arrival...too expensive for what you get.”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We had a 8-9 hour layover at the Newark Airport. We (family of 4) booked this hotel because there was a BW promotion for multiple stays during a specific timeframe. We paid $155 USD total.

First, at the airport there was a broken conveyor belt which delayed us retrieving our luggage (for some reason, we were unable to check out bags all the way through). We were exhausted and quite irritable, so it may be that things that I noticed were not nearly as big of a deal as they seemed to me at the time! At Newark Airport, we had to get on a train to P4, get out, call the shuttle using the courtesy phone. We did this. When we called, the desk said the shuttle would be there in 2 mins. We went outside and waited at least 20 mins. I called back to the BW desk and the guy told me that the shuttle was there and that he had just checked in 2 people from P4. I can read and I was very carefully checking the hotel name on each shuttle. The Best Western Shuttle had not been there since we were standing out there (my best guess is that the shuttle had just left before we got out there).

The shuttle driver drove extremely fast. I was okay with it, because we wanted to get to sleep!

We arrived in the lobby and checked in. Check in was quick and efficient. My family headed up to the room and I stayed back to get a bottle of water from the only vending machine in the building. I put my $2 in the machine and nothing happened. I asked at the front desk if I could get my $2 back and he made a call to someone who then came out with three bottles of water for me. I was grateful, but it was the only vending machine..and it was clearly broken.

When I got to our floor (it as an upper level floor...3rd..5th..? It was late, I can't remember), it smelled like marijuana. Again, I wanted to sleep, so I just headed to my room and ignored it.

The room was nice. Jacuzzi tub in room, shower/tub in bathroom. The Jacuzzi tub was positioned in a way that it was impossible to turn it on unless you were in it. I'm sure this is great for adults, but my daughter wanted to have a quick tub before heading to sleep, and I had to spider along the edge to turn it on. You should have been there, it was entertaining.

During check-in, we scheduled our shuttle for 6am. We got up, grabbed a cup of juice at the very limited continental breakfast and got on the shuttle.

Overall, this was an okay hotel. I wouldn't recommend it for those looking for something classy or full service. Value for the money was not good, but it was good enough to sleep at. Room were fairly clean.

1 Thank redcanvas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We are attending a family reunion and booked a couple of rooms at the Best Western Newark. When the reservations were made 6 months ago, we booked a king room then needed to change to 2 queens (another family member was able to make it to the reunion after all). I called to make the change to a room with 2 queens and was quoted a price increase of $50.00!!!! I understand that room rates are different for 1 bed vs 2 beds, but $50, come on!! I was expecting to pay a bit more for the additional bed but this is ridiculous! I have made changes to room reservations at other hotels in the past and customer service has always been helpful. If I had known that making changes would have been this difficult we would have never made a reservation to stay here!!! Warning: DO NOT MAKE A RESERVATION HERE!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank AlOha_23232014
White Lake, Michigan
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Best Western met my expectations for it's brand.

Check In....could have been a disaster. When I booked my reservation (in 2013), I guaranteed the room to a credit card that was due to expire in 2014. The hotel checks forms of payment the day before arrival. They saw my credit card expired in February and cancelled my reservation. I reconfirmed my reservation with them several weeks before - they never mentioned it and I never even thought to ask about it. In any event, the hotel was booked full, yet the Manager did find 1 room available for us.

The room - we had 404...it was large, clean and comfortable. We had to stay on our return as well. We stayed in room 401. The only comment I'd make is the you can hear everything (right by elevator).

The restaurant - there is nothing around this hotel except a Wyndam (I think) around the corner. But there is an abandoned building right next door and a big parking lot. I guess people park there and then flyout of Newark. Anyways, we arrived in the evening and were hungry and thirsty. The bar/restaurant was open but it was crowded and they only had 1 poor girl working - she did a great job yet the hotel manager should have resourced the restaurant better.

The hotel shuttle - these guys were great. They were right on schedule and handled our bags and the ride to/from the airport was 5 minutes.

I'd stay here again. It's a good value, the rooms are clean, they have the shuttle to/from the airport and they have a place to get food/beverage.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed April 28, 2014

great location (shuttle gets you to hotel quickly from airport and also takes you to the train station for free) updated, clean rooms, excellent breakfast choices, good dinner menu. Overall a great place to stay. If you are going to NYC consider this hotel for convenience and value

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Do not stay at this hole. On the surface it looks ok when you walk in, despite being in a decrepit neighborhood. However, it quickly becomes evident how gross this hotel is.

The first room I received reeked of smoke. It was just a horrible stench, so I immediately called downstairs and asked for a new room.

The next room was worse, but at that point it was after midnight and I just needed to sleep for a few hours. Here are the highlights:
--pubic hairs (yes, multiple!) on the toilet seat, finished off with pee stains! Cearly not washed
--hairs on the walls of the shower
--a toilet that was clogged and wouldn't even flush a few squares of toilet paper
--no shampoo
--a squishy bed. the mattress must have been a decade old
--wrinkled sheets. I was actually not sure they were even clean; very questionable.
--LOUD creaky doors and a bathroom fan that could wake the dead with its rumble
--questionable locks on the doors that were about to fall off

Bottom line, this place was disgusting and I didn't feel safe because of the location and lock situation on the doors. The front desk staff were also rude idiots (the guy checking me in was simultaneously talking nastily to a customer who was lost at the airport and trying to get to the hotel, and it took two "hellos" from 3 ft away to even get him to acknowledge me when I walked in--even though he was just staring at his computer).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank C L
Beth O, Manager at Best Western Plus Newark Airport West, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
I would like to personally thank you for choosing the Best Western Plus Newark Airport West and giving us the opportunity to serve you.

I can understand how frustrating the situation must have been for you and I would like to pass my sincere apology for the inconvenience you had to go through, I can assure you this is definitely not how we operate here at the Best Western Newark.

Your disappointment is definitely a big concern for us and I would like to talk you over the phone if possible to get some more details as to what had transpired in order to make sure that it does not happen again.

If you could be kind enough to email me your number and the best time you can be reached, I would really appreciate it.

I can be reached at bethogle@bwnewark.com.

Once again my sincere apology for the hassle you had to go through I look forward talking to you soon.

Thank you so much for your time, your patience is highly appreciated.
Albany, New York
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed overnight at this hotel for an early flight to San Francisco from Newark. Also took advantage of leaving my car with them while away for some fifteen days. Accommodations were clean and quiet for a restful nights sleep. We ate in the bar area with a limited selection but sufficient to satisfy even our dietary requirements. I was most pleased with the service to and from the airport. Their drivers are pleasant and helpful. This was my first time using this hotel and would do so again should my travel plans require me to do so.

Room Tip: We were on an upper floor and not at all bothered by any noise from the train movements to the rear...