“Everything you need for an overnight stay”

Best Western Plus Newark Airport West
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Everything you need for an overnight stay”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My connecting flight from Newark to DC got cancelled by a winter storm, so I needed a hotel close to the airport until the next day when I could get out of Newark. I used my phone to compare nearby hotels. I look for 3 things when I compare hotels in the area I want to stay: Free airport shuttle, free breakfast, and free wifi. This hotel had all 3, was the right price, and was so close to the airport that airport parking was right out the window (see picture). So this hotel won my vote.

When I was waiting for my luggage I called the hotel and asked them to send the shuttle. They said "Go to P4 and call from there". I had no idea what P4 was, but figured it out. You have to take the airtrain and go to a little glass/steel indoor area where all the hotel shuttles pick up. I eventually got there, called, and the shuttle showed up within 15 minutes, which is pretty good as we were having a blizzard at the time.

The hotel itself is in a weird area. It took us a while to get there, yet we still seemed to be on Newark Airport property. Like seeing the airport parking being right next door. You can also see the airport control tower from the hotel. The only thing I saw you could walk to was another hotel. And that weird abandoned building next door.

Check-in was quick. I was given the wifi password, told about the bar and breakfast times, and shuttle policy. You can book in advance so I booked for the 5am shuttle, but later changed it to 4:30am, no problem. Room was recently remodeled and nice, although whoever installed the curved shower rod did it wrong. It was supposed to curve out, instead they installed it so it curved down. This means the two ends of the shower curtain kept falling towards the middle while I showered and water would flood the bathroom. I had to hold it to the front wall with one hand while i tried to wash/shampoo with the other hand. A point off for that construction fail.

Two women in a man were throwing some kind of wild party across the hall. I wasn't in the mood to get in a fight with them or have them come bang on my door for snitching on them, so I put in my ear plugs and went to sleep. I left too early for breakfast, but luckily you can help yourself to orange juice 24/7. They also have both snack and soda vending machines in the lobby.

Overall a fine hotel if you need it for just one night, but I wouldn't stay there as a "vacation destination" or something like that. It's so close to NYC I would just stay in NYC if I was going there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Grenoble, France
Reviewed December 19, 2013

It's not far from the aiport -- maybe 5 minutes driving from the car rental office at the airport. I arrived late at night (after 11 pm) - the street sign was a little hard to see..but no big deal.

The rooms are enormous ! Two giant beds ! The room I stayed in looked just like the rooms in the photos (room 203). The hotel itself is a little run down. but it's really good value for the money and it's clean ! The staff is very nice and helpful. There is a free breakfast in the morning..a small buffet with eggs sausage waffles muffins coffee tea..There is a microwave and a good size small fridge in the room. (no mini bar).

They have a shuttle to the airport which runs 24 hours a day. I didn't take it because I had a car..but it is available all the time !

Room Tip: I stayed in room 203. Very large room. next to the elevator, but I never heard any noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Clinton, NJ
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Took advantage of the Park & Fly Package! Excellent value at $129/night + tax with up to 10 days of parking.

Although the rooms are quite dark they are large, clean and beds are extremely comfortable. Noise was not a problem.

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 5:10 AM. No problems catching a 3:30 AM shuttle. Although it was a very cold and blustery morning, the van was toasty warm. Instead of dropping us off at P-4 (like most hotels) the driver dropped us off directly at Terminal C.

Our flight home was at 11:50 PM and amidst a snow/ice storm. Once we reached P-4 Pick-Up area, we called the courtesy phone and the van was there to pick us up within 15 minutes. Once back at the hotel, we waited 10 minutes for the driver to get our car. When he pulled up to the front door of the hotel, too much of our amaze most of the snow and ice had been scraped from the windows and defrosters were turned up to defrost what remained.

Based on our experience, we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ItisBilly
Berkeley, California
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I caught an early flight out of Newark and stayed the night before at the Best Western. The hotel was fine, room was clean and well appointed, the breakfast was fine, and the pub fare in the hotel bar was just what I needed for dinner the night before. The hotel is in a very odd location, just a few feet away from a huge vacant black building. My room looked out on that building. The whole Newark Airport area represents some nutty urban planning; it's hard to get around, with or without a car. I was without a car, and thought I'd take cab to the hotel. But the Newark Airport NJ Transit stop didn't have a taxi stand - had to take the airtrain to the airport, and then wait for the free hotel shuttle to fetch me. All manageable - next time, build a little more time into figuring out the transit situation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Mt. Pleasant, United States
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Non-smoking room was smoky in all the furniture and and window coverings. The breakfast was good quality, and the shuttle to the airport was a huge help, thank goodness they were OK driving in the snow!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Very clean, great staff. Reliable free shuttle service to EWR and Newark Penn station if you need to go to New York.

No nearby service if you're walking. Rely on rental car or shuttle.

Cons: No lunch service. Free breakfast but then service reopens at 4:30pm.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The front desk staff was very accommodating. We had to leave our luggage and go into Manhattan. There was reliable, pleasant shuttle service back from the airport that night and to our flight the next morning. The room was clean and comfortable. I was tired and very happy to see the beautiful soaking tub, but I realize that doesn't interest most people. This is a fine value for a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family