“DO NOT STAY HERE!”

Best Western Plus Newark Airport West
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was the WORST hotel experience of my life. We were flying into Newark from Los Angeles, arriving at midnight and needed to stay one night at a convenient place before heading out the next morning to see relatives in PA. I reserved the hotel 2 months ahead, and called earlier in the day from LA to let the hotel know that we - a family of 4 with 2 young children - would be arriving at midnight and the hotel said it was fine. The hotel shuttle was ok and the driver Hector was very helpful/nice, but once we got to the hotel at 1:30 am, the night manager Freddy announced that there was no room for us due to some "misunderstanding" that he refused to explain when pressed. But he gives us an offer - to check in like we were staying at the BW anyways then we would be "upgraded" to a room at a nicer hotel. That "nicer" hotel turned out to be the Howard Johnson 15 minutes away by shuttle bus - and the room turned out to be filthy with peeling paint, mold, and greasy carpet. To top it off, it was under the flight path so no one got any sleep. Oh, and there was no free breakfast and shuttle to the train station that was included in our payment to the BW. A check on HJ's website showed that the "upgraded" room cost $40 less than the the room we paid for at the BW - so I have to wonder who was making money off of this? I did notice that neither Freddy (the BW night manager) or the HJ night manager would look me in the eye, maybe they were too busy lining their pockets. AWFUL. We felt stranded in a strange city in the middle of the night with two small sleepy children and had to accept what we were given at that moment even though we were disgusted. We are regular BW customers and we have never had an experienced like this from any other BW hotel so I will still give the chain the benefit of the doubt, but I will definitely be letting corporate know about this place.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stay was okay in that it allowd us to enter NYC easily. Felt the staff in charge was too young to offer the kind of service one normally expcects, as they seem often confused about questions asked. Cleanliness was okay so some room for improvement. Free shuttle to airport and Penn Station Newark was very nice.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Bed and room were clean and comfortable, but the shuttle was an hour picking me up and there didn't seem to be any explanation for that, since there weren't other customers and the hotel is 5-10 mins from the airport. The breakfast was ok but served on plastic plates, and the whole place just felt a bit budget, like a hostel, which I was surprised at for the price.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here just one night but left our car here for a few more nights as we had a different hotel in NYC. It cost $7.95 per night to park your car here and I was confident my car was safe there.

There is a free shuttle to Newark Airport and to Newark's Penn station where you can take the PATH train into NYC. On the way back we took at cab that cost us $20 but they do have scheduled pick ups as well.

The hotel room was large, the hotel was clean.

The location is not close to anything so do not plan on eating anywhere but the hotel unless you are driving...but the area around the hotel is not that great - basically industrial area near the airport and the closest area of Newark is a bit sketchy. Do not get me wrong, the hotel itself is safe, there is just nothing to do once you are there.

The staff were competent but completely indifferent. Each of the four staff we interacted with were bored out of their minds so the service was OK but I have had better interactions with ice machines.

We ate at the hotel restaurant (see above for the reason) and it was not very good.

1  Thank Like-It-Matters
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Really really angry about this!

I booked one night with Best Western Newark in New York City for July 31 to Aug 1. I chose the hotel because of the good ratings on your site, the airport shuttle and proximity. We were landing past midnight from a long haul flight from London so wanted to rest soonest.

I rang the hotel a few days prior to re confirm we were coming, they said they already had my details and look forward to seeing us. But when we arrived it was a complete disaster:
-I rang for the shuttle and they said it would arrive in 15 mins, without any traffic at this time it arrived 35 mins later
-We brought down our luggage into reception only to be told they made a mistake and are fully booked with no were else nearby to move us to except the Howard Johnson. This hotel was in a terrible location by an industrial wasteland with a parking lot of trucks, directly under the flight path with loud noises from the airplanes every few minutes. The room was supposed to be a suite but had disgusting damages everywhere, dirty windows, torn sofa, handprints on walls, broken ceiling in bathroom, frayed carpet. Certainly not an equivalent standard to Best Western!
-The booking I made with Best Western also included breakfast and a shuttle to Penn Station Newark. These were not going to be honored by Howard Johnson.
-Truly angry and upset I asked Best Western for a refund so we can just go elsewhere on our own but they said this isn't possible when booked via Hotels.com. The hotel staff only agreed to provide the breakfast and shuttle from the Best Western services after I argued for these rights at length. At no point did the staff apologize, they even said I should be grateful as this would cost the hotel more than what I paid.
-They promised their manager would settle with me next day but he or she didn't show up and the promise to call me back was also not fulfilled.

I paid 135usd for this horrible experience at the start of my birthday holiday.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, awful service.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julers01
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Place is confusing specially when you are driving.

Hotel is good in terms of cleanliness.

Staff is polite and helpful.

Free shuttle service to airport and train station.

Restaurant is OK.

Breakfast is OK.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank agrawaljipoonwale
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We missed our late afternoon flight out of EWR due to traffic and had to wait for a flight next morning. This place was great. It is a little hard to get to but it looks nice inside and we had a great night of sleep. Very clean and very nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family