“Not as Good as Prior Stay”

Best Western Plus Newark Airport West
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The room was clean and breakfast adequate. Shuttle to the airport was fine. I would not trust my car to Best Western nor believe what their staff says as they did not fulfill what was promised. The representative at the desk misplaced my bags when he indicated he would put them in my vehicle as he would not give me my key once I turned it on. This was not a positive experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Joan B

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights. The hotel has been redone and they did a very nice job. The rooms are nice with a clean firm bed. Showers are low flow but they get you clean. Wifi is slow whenever the hotel is full, but in the middle of the day it is very fast. The front desk staff is very friendly and will do whatever they can to help you. The hotel is located back an industrial road, but very close to Newark airport, and about 15 minutes from Manhattan. Overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 30, 2013

They did mess up my online reservation, and they really don't pay attention to room requests until you get there to ask what's up with getting what you requested. But seriously, the bed was the softest hotel bed, the service was pleasant, breakfast was regular american breakfast, and everywhere was just really clean. Don't expect any window views, it's jersey I guess, doesn't matter because the rooms are great inside. The airport shuttle was ok, I didn't think the driver was pleasant but maybe because it was 1am, and at other hotels they bring your bags up to the front desk for you but I had to get mine out of the back of the shuttle. The only major problem I had was that the cleaning crew starts early and when they vacuum the hallways you can hear that in the rooms, no sound proof, and you can hear people talking out in the hallway. So bring ear muffs and you'll have a really nice stay :) I would stay again.

Room Tip: High floor less noise, corner for long window and sunlight, Book on the phone not online, online the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mariah H
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The room itself wasn't bad, but the surroundings looked like a scene out of a "I Am Legend" and getting there was terrifying! I called before booking to make sure their shuttle ran late at night and was told it did. I was coming from Princeton and just needed a place to stay before catching a plane in the morning. I asked whether to get off the NJ Transit train at the Newark Airport or Newark Penn Station and they recommended Penn Station. However, they didn't tell me that there was a $12.50 fee for being picked up there until I was on my way out of the station. Nor did they tell me that it would take at least 15 - 20 mins to get back to the hotel or that I would have to wait outside on the street surrounded by rather scary individuals. Thank goodness there were 2 beat cops set up outside the door of the station the whole time I was there. They also told me to wait on the wrong side of the station since that side was closed at 1 AM. Newark Penn Station looks like it would be a scary place to visit during the day, but it was terrifyingly deserted down on by the tracks at 1 AM. I wasn't thrilled to not only pay the shuttle fee but also the additional train expense to go further only to have such a harrowing experience when I was already exhausted! The next day when I asked for their corporate number they gave me a wrong number that actually seemed like some sort of con. Room itself was nice and clean as well. The bed was comfortable, but I made the mistake of looking out the window and was so unsettled by the abandoned, rundown building and garbage in the street that I barricaded my door for the night! I can't believe I spent over $100 for this!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 2Finicky_n_OP
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed 1 night. hotel room was great and new.staff were realy helpful. they provide free parking. stayed on last floor. bed was big and comfort. water pressure can be a little stronger in the shower.
breakfast was nice.

Room Tip: ask for 6 floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gil D
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The staff at this Best Western went out of their way to make sure my 2 unplanned 2 night stay in Newark was as comfortable as possible. I was stuck in Newark for 2 days due to a major snowstorm on the east coast and flights were cancelled. Would recommend this hotel to anyone that has to stopover. Rates were good and included a nice buffet breakfast. Apparently, there is a better rate if you book in advance online too.

Room Tip: I think all room are large and have a nice sitting area but it could be because I had a King size be...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western while visiting New York. The room was clean and spacious. The breakfast area was fine, very busy but the attendant was trying to keep up with the crowd. They should cook the scrambled longer they were very watery and clean the counter and table more often with a clean cloth.The front desk staff were very nice and help us. We used the shuttle to get to the Penn Station and traveled on the Path train, you can get either to World Trade Center or at 33th Street. The only inconvenient is you have to pay again to get in the New York subway. The shuttle system is effective except every time people were running to get in and we had to wait for the next shuttle. The drivers are driving little too fast. The hotel was busy with students. Driving there was fine with the GPS. This hotel is a good option if you want to visit New York City.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family