“Our One Night in Newark”

BEST WESTERN Plus Newark Airport West
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Hebrew first
Veldhoven
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We had a very nice stay in this hotel. The location isn't great but the rooms, service and shuttle bus compensate that. The rooms are big and clean. The shuttle bus drives you to penn station and the airport. Going back there when we visit New York again!

• Stayed November 2012
Matawan, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Room was surprisingly large and well appointed but could have been cleaner....our request for foam pillows was not honored. We actually had to go down to the lobby and ask for soap - none was left in the bathrooms. The "express breakfast" was watery Nescafe and a tray of some amorphous muffins left on a table.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

THE BAD:
No one here knows what they are doing. This was absolutely my worst hotel experience to date and I travel a lot for work. The staff is unhelpful and inept. This includes being OVER CHARGED FOR THE ROOM BY $700.00, A DIRTY ROOM THAT STUNK LIKE MARIJUANA, A INEDIBLE BREAKFAST IN A FREEZING LOBBY, HORRIBLE COMMUNICATION, UNHELPFUL STAFF, INACCURATE SHUTTLES (THAT DON’T ACTUALLY GO TO NEWARK PENN STATION). When I was finally able to speak to someone about being overcharged, I they were rude, yelled at me, and said they couldn’t do anything about it; that I would have to call back the next day to speak to a manager because they didn’t know what they were doing.

GOOD:
Nothing.

If you are in the business of dealing with people or money, you better KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE AND MONEY!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel; that's my tip.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ben Z
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I had missed our flight and were put on the stand-by list. At the end of the day, we were exhausted and didn't make it out, so we decided to phone a couple of hotels so as not to spend the night at the airport.

Luckily, the Best Western had a room available for $100. I was nervous because in the past, Best Western were always a bit on the down-trodden side.

But this was POSH! We walked into our room and were amazed at how plush and nice it was, especially considering the price.

Not your typical Best Western (unless they've all under gone an overhaul and I'm just not aware o it).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Quincy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Last night, I was turned away at 11pm from this Best Western in Newark, despite having a reservation and proof of my reservation in my hand.

I reserved a room on 11/3 and printed out the confirmation email and I phoned the day before and confirmed again (I was concerned because of the aftermath of the hurricanine to make sure they were operational) Every step along the way I was toild no problem. I have a reservation.

When I arrived at the front desk, after a 7 hour drive, I was told my room was gone and that I had been "sent an email." I received two emails - one on 11/3 and one on 11/8 - both were confirmations of my room.

I was offerred no assistance of any kind to find a room and had to call many, many hotels from my car.

I finally got a room in Secaucus, a half an hour drive way, but that room cost me an additional $80 over the price of the room I had for the Best Western. I had selected this room because of its proximity to NYC - I attended an event at the Prudential Center and had planned to stay the night at this hotel and then take the shuttle to Penn Station Newark the next day. I had plans to take the train into Manhattan and spend the day with friends.

I have looked over all of their information on their website and in their confirmation emails and can see no notice that I will lose my room if I don't show up by a certain time or that I needed to tell them I would be a late arrival.

If I cancelled after 4pm or did not show, I know and accept that they legally get to keep my room charge. So, where is my safety net? I will file a complaint with whomever oversees hotels in New Jersey, but beware. Don't trust that Best Western honors its reservations or takes care of its customers.

Mary Sullivan