“Great for early morning flight”

Best Western Plus Newark Airport West
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here the night before an early morning flight and have no complaints. The room was clean (in contrast to previous reviews), the bed comfortable and the bathroom highly functional with two sinks and a coffee maker. Perhaps most importantly it was quiet and we were able to sleep well and grab a quick hot breakfast (included in the price) before getting a free shuttle to the airport, which took less than 10 minutes. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank edgreen807
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Newark Airport West

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed there 3 nights before our cruise from New York City. We baught out PATH subway ticket ( 10 trips for $15.00) at Penn staton NJ. On the day of the cruise we used them to get to 33rd st. ( next to NY penn station) and got a taxi to pier 92 for Carnival Cruise line. Taxi cost $15.00. If we had taken a taxi from the hotel it would have been over $100.00. After the cruise we got a taxi to NY Penn station, and then the NJ rail line to the Newark Airport Station ( 3rd Stop) and then the Sky train to terminal A. Carnival were charging $49.00 per person. we did it for $15.00 per person.
The hotel was clean and tidy, and the staff friendly and helpful, the breakfast was great, with a good variety. We would stay there again. We ate dinner in NY and used the shuttle from Penn station in the evening. the driver was very friendly and arrived on time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Skipper12312
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Room was outdated and the air from the ventilation smelled moldy. Carpet had stains, so did the bedding in the room. Bathroom had hair from previous guests and when I turned on the tap, there was a pungent smell coming out from the faucet. It is also located a bit away from the airport so expect to pay a heftier price tag for your cab there. Would not recommend to anyone! No matter the price. You are better off sleeping on the grounds of the airport. TRUST ME.

Room Tip: Get another hotel...anything is better than here!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2012

It was a shame the last time I stayed there.
We stayed here in March of 2008 and returned October 2011. I must say the rooms and renovation has really given this hotel a facelift. Thats about all th egood I can say.

When we got to the check in counter, they could not find our reservations, took us over an hour to check in. This is after an 8 hour drive from Toronto. We choose to stay in Newark, to take adavatage of the shopping in NJ.

The staff was not pleasant, we asked for a wake up call this never happend. Thank goodness I set my alarm for 15 mintues after the requested time. We woke up the first day and had some kind of bites on our skin, wasnt sure what it was but thought maybe mosquitos. The second morning we woke up it was bed bugs, when we told the front desk they asked if we were sure. We had to demand they move us to another room. We ended up leaving early from the Best western and rturning to Toronto. The manager never offered up anything for the inconvience, manager was not reachable till a week after our return.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jay R
Reviewed August 13, 2012

A good hotel for a good price if stopping one or two nights. Plus for size of room, cleaniness, the shuttle bus. Minus for the general area, virtual impossible to take a walk in any direction, and the breakfast. A tip is to take the shuttle (at a charge) to the neaby mall where there are plenty of dining options.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bornen B
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We had a hard time finding the hotel but when we got there it was all just fine.
When we returned our car at the airport and took the shuttle back to the hotel we noticed that we would never have been able to figure out the route our shuttle guy was taking so we didnt blame ourselves for it. Just make sure you know where to go!
We could easily park the car, check in went smooth and we took our luggage up to our room.
Im sorry for the earlier reviewer but if you're expecting somebody to bring your luggage up go stay in a real fancy hotel in the middle of New York City and not at a Best Western airport hotel.
I just think that review doesnt do the hotel any good so I figured I should write something cause for this kind of a hotel its doing a really good job.
Our room was very spacious and clean, everything worked fine, there was nice service and there is a really good big breakfast with something for everybody.
We have nothing to notice on our stay, everything was perfectly arranged and again for its standards this hotel is doing a real good job. We got a good night rest and we would happily stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Apopping88
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My entire experience with this hotel was completely awful.

1. I called up to make a reservation and was put on hold for 10 mins. When I called back the gentleman on the phone was rude and told me the rate was $199 even though online I was seeing it much lower at $116. I decided to book online for the cheaper rate.

2. I arrived a little early and went to see if a room was ready. I was planning to go to NY for the day and wanted to be able to leave my luggage at the hotel so it was sitting in the car...So glad I didn't leave it there!! The front desk clerk said "No I could not check in." she said the reason was she already gave 2 rooms away...making me feel like I wouldn't even have a room later on in the evening. She did not give me the option of waiting a few mins to check on a room or even to store my luggage.

3. around 8pm we arrived back at the hotel to try and check in again. We were greeted by Pedro who did not make the check in process any more pleasant for us. When we received our room keys we got in the elevator to go to the 6th floor. Once we got off the elevator there was a 3-4 inch cockroach crawling down the wall towards the door to our room!!!!! We immediately went downstairs to check out. I told Pedro we could no longer stay here because of the cockroach and that it was completely disgusting. Pedro informed me that there was nothing he could do because I was already checked in. (As a front desk clerk myself I have a lot of experience with the systems and I know this cannot be true) Pedro did not apologize for this upsetting experience and continued to tell me he could not do anything and I would be charged. I asked to speak to a manager and he said they did not have any managers or supervisors working that evening.

I left completely disgusted and upset! I ended up driving the 5 hours all the way back home because I did not want to deal with another awful experience.

DO NOT STAY HERE!