“Not your average airport food!”

Gallegher's New York's Prime Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I were dreading our long layover in Newark Airport. We wanted a sit down dinner after a long flight, so we decided to give Gallegher's a try. From past experiences I was not expecting an exceptional experience, but we were both pleasantly surprised.

We were seated promptly, and our waitress greated us and took our drink order. I was a bit dehydrated so a tall Sam Adams was in order ... oh, I also had a glass of water too! My wife had a glass of a red cab, and we explored the menu. For an airport restaurant I was really surprised with the offerings. The menu was not a cut down version with 2 or 3 offerings, but a real menu!

We started by sharing an appetizer of fried calamari. When it arrived I was stunned! It was a good thing we shared it because it probably was enough for up to 4 people. Delicate coating, not chewey, but they could have drained the oil a little better. My wife ordered the petit filet with mushrooms. 6 oz filet done to perfection and a generous amount of tasty, mixed mushrooms served family style. I had the "Jumbo" crab cakes. They were not kidding! They were huge! My wife, the gourmet cook, tasted them and gave them a big thumbs up! She said that they were some of the best crab cakes that she has ever tasted. Airport food? Hardly. I ordered Gallegher's potatoes for my side which was a baked potato that was cut in 4 pieces and deep fried. Huge potato, and interesting. Not sure I would order it again, but it was good. Needless to say we had no room for dessert. The gentleman across from us had the tenderloin salad which looked really good. Next time I will get that.

As others have pointed out it was a little expensive, but what place in an airport isn't.

Want to change your mind about airport food? Try this place!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a restaurant for business people on an expense account and they are not paying for this out of their own pocket. If they did, they would not eat here. $40 for an average steak and they want another $10 for a baked potato. You get nothing with an entree and I mean nothing not even bread. The staff makes you feel that they want to get you to order more and get the bill up. There is no value here and I do not know how the one in NYC is but if it is like this, it's business model is poor. The model is spend alot and eat a little. The restaurant looks inviting and it is attractive but buyer beware. There are better places in the airport to eat in and you will not feel like you were robbed. Plus why do restauants give you the worst table in the place when there are tables for 2 available in the middle on a slow night. They want $100 out of you and you have to be cramped too? I will never eat here again.

1  Thank mikefaud1
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

On the plus side you can sit down and relax at a waited table. The food was just average, and truthfully I've had a better Caesar Salad at a Perkins. The prices were so much higher than the quality. I travel a lot and actually can't think of an airport sit down restaurant with such average fare for such premium prices.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I ordered a burger "medium well" plus onion rings but got only very very 'well done' burger together with french fries. I could get it back to the waitress, but it took them 25 minutes to cook this poor hamburger, and I was already late to my flights. I think they are understaffed because there were no many clients there.
The waitress didn't ask me even once during the meal how's everything, and finally the price was tremendous: 30+ USD for a burger and beer. (???)

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

If you want to spend 20 plus for breakfast then give it a try.

its relaxing away from the airport bustle in the morning if you have that extra 30min

will try it again when I have time.

usual breakfast fare but well prepared.