“Perfect Gateway for New York visit”

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed December 30, 2013

When I told my family we were staying in Newark to make our holiday trip to NYC more affordable, they said, "Newark??!?" We had done it before, so we weren't worried. The hotel was perfect! Beautifully decorated for Christmas, the hotel is lovely even without the adornments. Pretty entrance, lovely chandelier hanging from high above. The front desk personnel were warm and friendly, very helpful whenever we had a question. As Choice Hotel reward members, we were greeted with a gift bag of bottled water and snacks. Our room was a suite with a king sized bed, a small divider, and then an additional double bed which was perfect for our son. (Not a divider for privacy, mind you, but good for reading while he slept.) There was a large bathroom, a desk, dresser, three nightstands, and a very small kitchen area with mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker. There were many restaurants in the area but we don't know Newark enough to know which parts are safe, and we were so tired from sightseeing that we preferred to order in. The front desk was very helpful in this area as well. Plenty of restaurants deliver and we ordered several times from delicious and very inexpensive places. Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Caribbean, American, and Mediterranean were the menus that we noticed. I almost forgot: plentiful, free, hot breakfast buffet every morning and free coffee and tea all day. Parking was free as well. The train station is about a mile away. We paid $10 for a cab. One note: there did seem to be basement level rooms. The elevator took us down there and it looked just as nice but I'm unsure if those rooms have windows. I could call to check that out and request not to be down there if that would bother you. I wouldn't want to be without a window and I'm not sure if I would like to be on the ground floor in Newark although I will say that we always felt very safe. In fact, I will definitely consider this hotel again the next time we head into The Big Apple to see a show. I couldn't have been more pleased!

Room Tip: We loved the second floor. Beautiful balcony overlooking the lobby. I can't speak of the basemen...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time and sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. It's great to hear you were able to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast and enjoyed the level of service provided by our staff. We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accomodations the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

ohhhhhhhhh what a stay at comfort suites Newark NJ, on my trip to USA it was awesome experience, everything top to bottom, as soon as enter to hotel i felt fresh to show Christmas decoration, it wasnt that really great but simply the best, worm welcome get upgrade room at the same price with Jacuzzi as foreigner, front desk staff very trained, i would say its management must be taking care for there staff, housekeeping was fantastic, break fast hummm got and good options, over all stay was 10 of 10, very convenience to get train to NY, just a mile from hotel a train station,

Room Tip: well my res was for king size bed, but front desk upgrade my room with Jacuzzi, but sure other room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank devhunter22
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Came to attend a funeral and was blown away at the welcome offer by the cheerful staff. Made our welcome much pleasant due to the fact we where here for a funeral. Always asked how we was doing. Made sure we had directions to the funeral home directions to restaurants and to the city over all a great stay will recommend this to family and friends due to friendly staff and comfortabilty of the hotel

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank cutesmile44
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for taking time and sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. It's great to hear you enjoyed the level of service provided by our staff. We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accomodations the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Despite having to sign that I would not smoke in my non-smoking room, and there being a sign in my room saying that if it smelled like smoke when I left I would be charged $150 for cleaning, my room smelled disgustingly like stale cigarette smoke. I called reception to notify them and they said it was probably because someone was smoking in a room next to mine. I highly doubt that was the case...the room clearly had hosted many smoking guests before my arrival. The bed was comfortable and the sheets smelled fresh and clean, but my hair, jacket, clothes, everything basically smelled of stale cigarette smoke after departing the room and hotel. On the positive side, this hotel was very convenient to NJPAC where my friend and I went to a concert, so it was great to have an affordable place to stay next to downtown Newark. I was happy to have breakfast included as the neighborhood isn't so nice (despite the stale bagels, everything else was pretty good). Free parking was a great perk too. However, if you aren't a smoker, be weary of their "non-smoking" rooms and maybe bring some Febreeze with you for your stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Guest,
I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from guests are taken seriously. I would like to assure you that all the issues raised have been addressed and appropriate action has been taken. Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. We look forward to seeing you soon.We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accomodations the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have traveled extensively over the years on business and frequented many hotels. I can’t say enough about the staff and accommodations at this location. I want to specifically call out appreciation for the following staff members: Diana, Kieth, Isabele, Angelina, Brenda, Hector, Jennifer, Kayla, and especially the manager Ash, for making business travel a little better when away from home at an affordable rate. Don’t judge the business by what the city decides not to help build in the location but judge the business based off the service and quality they provide. The only addition I could recommend is a daily shuttle services within 1-2 miles or so. Thank you!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Derek S

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Well we know Newark is not known for wealthy people... It's not the worst hotel but not the best. It's average and somewhere to put your head for 1 nights stay... I had to ask for sheets and walk down and get them for the sofa bed.. Also there was body pubic hair in our shower (before we took a shower)... The rate is good, but you get what you pay for.. They do have complimentary continental breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accomodations the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had a nice time at Comfort Suites Newark. It was actually a really nice surprise considering the location; which did not turn out that bad after all. If you are into walking and won't be renting a car, broad street station was about a 10 min walk from the hotel...and the walk was not as scary or intimidating as we thought. The hotel was great. Room was large and very clean. Basically everything we needed from a hotel, plus amenities/toiletries were constantly replenished! Having a refrigerator and microwave was very useful. Reception staff were nice and helpful. Our only issue was with the smoking coming from the room beneath us. We were able to keep the smell to a minimum by always closing the bathroom door when we went out as it would come through the bathroom vents. The facilities and the price more than made up for being further away from NYC. I would recommend!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank D_flav

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. It's great to hear you enjoyed the level of service provided by our staff . We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accomodations the next time you are in the area.