“No hotel shuttle from the airport”

Comfort Suites Newark
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Memphis, Tennessee
“No hotel shuttle from the airport”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I had a last minute trip to NJ and most hotels at the airport were sold out. I wished I had known up front that this one did not have a hotel shuttle. I could have saved an hour at midnight. Instead I took the tram from the terminal to the hotel shuttle area then I had to wait on the tram again and go to the yellow cab area. It costs $18 for a cab to the hotel.
The hotel was the standard budget hotel. Nothing too bad or too great either. There was only one treadmill in the workout room which was disappointing. No water at the breakfast area or in the workout room. The carpet was badly worn but the room was spacious. I wouldn't stay there again but if there isn't much else to choose from then it isn't horrible.

Room Tip: I had a room in the basement of the hotel and didn't feel safe. This hotel is not in a great nei...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank luv2travel66usa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stay at this hotel 1 night, 3 adults and no problem. 10 minutes of walk of the Broad Street Station to Penn Station New York, 20 minutes of train. Got a suite, 2 bed and a sofa bed. A lot of parking and the breakfast was good. Scramble Eggs, Home-made Waffle, Cereal, Bagel, English Muffin, Toast Coffee and Juice.

Room was good and will stay here again when I go back to New York.

Room Tip: Check for a suite it's the same price for a room and a suite.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Le_MaiTre_666
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Staff was courteous, efficient. But grounds, building and room were in need of update and thorough cleaning. We stayed here to be close to Newark airport but believe that other chains may be better.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Texgrama
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed April 19, 2012

one night stay to go to trade center and liberty cruise. ten doller cab ride to path train. 4 doller for train to center.same back to hotel. drove to liberty park NJ. a little confusing in the city for a country boy. hotel was quite good . nice people at counter. would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mack l
Philadelphia area
Reviewed February 10, 2012

We stayed here for the 'stay and cruise' feature that let's us leave the car gratis for duration of the cruise, and provides free shuttle to cruise port (but not the return from cruise). We had the warmest greetings from the desk staff we've ever had--great guys, and proactively helpful as we inquired about options for return from cruise, restaurant possibilities, etc.
Our room was fine, and the breakfast ample and varied. We appreciate the 3 kinds of fresh fruit especially. Sugar free syrup for the waffle would have been appreciated. Two kinds of eggs, many choices on breads to toast, etc.
We also appreciated that the television channels included MS NBC since we've encountered other hotels that don't.
The one disadvantage is that there are no decent restaurants in walking distance, and it is not a good neighborhood to walk in. We had a car and could drive to a selection of restaurants within 2-3 miles so this didn't affect us, but we overheard one couple who had taken a cab here complaining.
We'll stay here again when cruising out of Bayonne or flying out of Newark.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NorthArrow
Deer Park, Washington
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Stayed here for several nights on a client visit in Newark.
I found this hotel through the Choice Hotels website by searching for a hotel near Newark Liberty Airport (EWR). I do admit that I should have researched better.

The first hint that this hotel was further away than I expected was when I stood outside at EWR waiting for the shuttle bus. Every other hotel in Newark seemingly has a shuttle bus to the airport. Eventually I called the hotel and asked if their shuttle bus was running today... to which the response was "we don't run a shuttle bus, take a taxi." Hmmm.

$25 later in taxi fares, I'm at the hotel. The hotel is, shall we say, in a seedy part of town. A long way from the airport! (a 20 minute taxi ride with no traffic).

The hotel itself is nice enough. Clean and the staff are friendly. The breakfast is included and is reasonably good. The internet service is intermittent, forcing me to fall back to my wireless broadband card.

The hotel offers a $10 flat fare taxi ride back to the airport which was prompt even well before daybreak.

But. For the price of the room (not a bargain to begin with), plus $35 in taxi fares to get to/from, coupled with the frustration of using the internet service that didn't work very well, it would have been better to use one of the many other hotels that are closer to the airport.

I probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank christ0fu
VA
Reviewed January 21, 2012

OMG...while I typically love Comfort Suites this was the worst experience ever. I got the 2 bedroom suite w/pullout sofa. Both bed comforters were visibly dirty. The pullout sofa was so dirty we didn't even sleep on it. The bathroom had dirt in the corner of the floor...the room didn't have washcloths. When I went to the front desk I was never offered a new room (which i feel should have happened). I would never stay at this hotel again!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tyjune
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, May 27, 2015
Dear Guest,

We accommodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a wonderful and satisfying experience. Consequently,it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from guests are taken seriously. I would like to assure you that all the issues raised have been addressed and appropriate action has been taken. Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Ash Sardar