“Great place for pre game meal”

Hobby's Delicatessen & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 600 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We go here before Devils games. Large overstuffed sandwiches, pleasant workers and an interesting decor of Devils' memorabilia make this is agreat place!

Reviewed May 8, 2014

one would not expect to find a deli of this nature in downtown newark. the food was very good, simple, reminiscent of lower east side delis that i remember from 30 years ago in NYC. the only complaint was a bit pricey considering location and atmosphere.
portions are as expected - big!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

When you go to Hobby's Deli, you do so for a delicious meal and, maybe, to conduct some business. The neighborhood is not very pleasing to the eye, neither is the building itself however, on any given day there are a number of judges, attorneys, the U.S. Attorney, alongside office workers, messengers and people from different profession, all enjoying a meal at Hobby's. Hobby's is a no-frills place focused on delivering fresh, delicious food. Add in the low prices and you won't regret making a trip!.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My family and I got there 1/2 hour before the place was officially open on Saturday morning, but the owner let us in anyway. "If you don't mind us setting up around you, we can get you breakfast." That was the start of impressive customer service - it was all great! I wish we could go back to experience the rest of the menu.

1  Thank jpmeyer1
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I have been trying to get to this deli for over 10 years. The hours of business just don't work for people who don't work downtown. So I was glad that I was finally going on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014. It was no problem that the surrounding area is old and shabby but then when you come up to the deli you begin to see they don't take care of their image. The sidewalk was not swept nor had they removed the snow surrounding them. The windows and front door were dirty. As you walk in there in a messy office to greet you. Two tables with papers all around. At first glance I thought they were closed for business but then I could see inside a little to my right two people were sitting at table. So I continued to walk over to the counter. Everything was a mess. There were three men behind the counter but they acted as if they could not see me. After waiting awhile a women behind me at the cashier called to me, "is anyone helping you?" I told her -no. She yelled out to one of the men behind the counter to help me. He took my order. He reached down and pulled out two balls of waxed paper filled with a ball of meat that he put on the rye and wrapped it up and handed the sandwich to me. I could not believe they precut the meat and it was cold. The sandwich was OK. But I will never go back. This is no Katz or 2nd Ave Deli. If this deli was in New York it would be rated a D. They need to take a day to clean the whole place and then a new coat of paint. Spend another day with customer service training. Then everyday keep up the cleaning inside and outside. Get rid of the office as walk-in. Do your office work out of customers sight. Everyone who works or owns the place should smile and up keep their appearance. There is potential to be a great business.

3  Thank Dona26