“Days in Newark - the most disgusting hotel ever”

Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Houston, TX
“Days in Newark - the most disgusting hotel ever”
Reviewed August 5, 2007

After some weather caused air travel disasters, I needed a hotel to stay at overnight, since I had to fly out of Newark a day later than expected. I didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money for the Marriott, so I decided to book the Days Hotel. I figured that it couldn't be too bad for $150 a night. I pulled into the parking lot - and was a little concerned when I saw that the whole parking lot was surrounded by barbed wire fence. Anyway, I get to the hotel, and the lobby looks decent. Nothing fancy, but it looked alright. So, I got the key to the room, and headed up. I opened the door, and it smelled like someone had taken a pee all over the room. It was disgusting. I then called the front desk to complain. They said, "Try opening the window." and hung up. It was 1am, and I really didn't feel like arguing with the front desk clerk. So, I opened the window. And with the opened window, I heard the sounds of the monorail and planes taking off. Then, in the morning, I went in to take a shower, and found a moldy shower that had a ton of hair all over the bottom. I've stayed in some bad hotels before - but this was absolutely the worst. It was horrible. Here's my advice: If you get delayed at Newark, sleep in the terminal before you a book a room here. Honestly. It was disgusting.

• Liked — Free wifi, Free shuttle
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank vegophile

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
LaVale, Maryland
Reviewed June 11, 2007

This is the second time I've stayed at this Days Inn. Both times, I was on a group trip to see New York City.

Let me first start with the one negative incident that occurred at this hotel. When we first arrived by bus, we noticed a car sitting in the parking lot that had some sort of problem with it, as the driver and his occupants were standing around the car and there was a Newark city cop near them. We couldn't really figure out what was wrong - we assumed something had happened to the car while it was parked, judging bythe large dent in the side. However, the problem began when the manager came into the lot to discuss the problem with the guests. It eventually spiraled into an argument, and myself and 70 other people sitting on the buses watched as the manager of the hotel got in the guest's face and was screaming at them. He then pointed his finger at the guest and pushed it into the guest's chest. Eventually, the problem was somehow resolved, but this action was clearly unprofessional and quite honestly disgusting on the part of the manager.

However, the actual hotel stay was quite nice. The rest of the staff is and always has been friendly, and the accomadations were excellent. Our rooms were cleaned and restocked each day we were there which was quite nice after a full day in the city.This hotel is very conveniently located to both the city and Newark airport.

But I must say that after seeing the actions of the manager of the hotel, I probably will never stay here again after seeing how rude that staff member was.

• Liked — Proximity to attractions
  • Stayed June 2007
1 Thank olfan07
pa.
Reviewed April 1, 2007

stayed in Newark, N.J. Days Inn., bathroom was filthy. had manager, Megaly, come in with me to look at it. She looked me straight in eye and said "this is not acceptable. It is filthy" then according to manager wrote a note for him that it was not.
Also lied about time it takes to get to NY they say when you call about 25 minutes but dont say their shuttle to the airport to get monorail to get to train (also don't tell you about those costs and waiting times) takes according to manager on phone up to 45 minutes. So much for about 25 for whole trip. actually took an hur in one direction and over an hour back to where I almost missed my NYC meeting relying on their times.
The desk staff was discourteous. The guarantee of fixing things or get a partial refund was ignored at the time. when called I was asked what I thought I should get back. It is up to the hotel to honor the guarantee and show by what they offer back that they indeed do take customer concerns and complaints seriously.
This hotel was, by the statement of a fellow travelor that day filthy in more than 1 room as he said his was also.
The manager, Michael Priore, told me that others "higher than I" look at all the rooms in inspection and they say they're clean: that in fact the hotel has won awards. When I scoffed at that he became very angry and defensive.
This hotel was not well served by whom they have chosen to speak for them.
It actually deserves no stars

(I said to manager I should have taken picture of the mildewed, dirty shower but since manager seeing it I didnt need to Never occurred to me I should have disbelived her and taken pictures.)

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank leejcaroll
HTMPA, President, Manor Hotel Corporation at Holiday Inn Newark Airport, responded to this review, June 4, 2007
The guest response about our hotel being "filthy" in inaccurate. This guest's complaints were investigated at the time she contacted the front desk, and the front office manager and the executive housekeeper inspected the room and reported no mildew or any other problems in the room. She was very abusive in her manner in dealing with our staff, and demanded a refund, although there was no reason for us to offer or approve a discount to her.
Warwickshire
Reviewed October 13, 2006

I usually stay overnight at the Days when I have a connecting flight into Newark and have not had any problems.

Sure, the hotel isn't new and nothing fancy, but the rooms are clean and adequate. The food is nice in the restaurant, and i have found the front desk staff to be nice, although not overly friendly. The free shuttle service is great and the drivers friendly.

Some floors are smoking floors, and I had the misfortune to go to the snack machine located on one of these floors. The smell was disgusting to say the least!!!!

Still, if you are only stopping one or two nights, then for the price, the Days is not a bad choice.

• Liked — comfy bed
  • Disliked — the smoking floors
  • Tips/Secrets — use the snack machine on the 6th (non smoking) floor and not the 4th (smoking floor)
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank LesleyJ
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 27, 2006

My wife, 3 children, and I stayed her because we had an early flight the next day. The price for the park and fly package was under $150 and we left our car there for 8 days. This was one day longer than they allowed in the price. When I told them I needed an extra day, they said no problem and no extra charge. The check in process was a little slow even though there were two people at the desk. They weren’t the most professional but they did the job well. The room we were in was your basic hotel room but it was pretty clean. I would recommend this hotel for no more than one night. If you are there for more than one night, the hotel has nothing to offer to keep you buys. It’s along a busy highway with nothing around but other hotels and a beer plant. The free shuttle was fast and efficient. They drop you off and pick you up at the airport monorail station and the drivers were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank glen65
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 26, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights, and found it to be adequate. It has all we needed, clean room, bathroom and airconditioning. Its not new, but for the price we found it suited our needs. We stayed here and commuted to New York each day, and got used to using the airport shuttle, along with the buses and trains. Probably wouldn't stay here again, but only due to the distance from New York.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Lioness64
Ireland
Reviewed July 12, 2006

We were stuck in Newark overnight due to thunderstorms, and the airline put us up in the days Inn overnight. The problems started as soon as we walked in the door. Staff were rude, unfriendly and unprofessional at reception. We waited 1.5 hours for dinner, which never arrived, and had to order a pizza from the local take-away. The room was noisy, with a very rattley aircon unit, and we got no sleep at all. The entire hotel was dirty, and unclean looking. I witnessed staff being very rude to customers on several occasions. I will never stay in a Days Inn again.

3 Thank ballybit