“Good airport hotel”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good airport hotel”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed here the night before departing for home. This is a nice hotel, modern, good staff, reliable airport shuttle. Our room was comfortable, with free wifi. The restaurant was very serviceable for breakfast. No problems here. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
Tilcara, Argentina
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay close to the airport as hotels in New York city are very expensive. It was not complicated at all to get to city from the holiday inn Newark hotel. They have a 24h shuttle service that will take you to the airport & from there catch a train to city. 45min max. So we stayed here for 2 nights. The rooms are clean, comfy bed, good size bathroom. You can make coffee in the room as well. Staff could have been friendlier but I always notice a difference between New York area & California. New York is an hectic city. Breakfast was not included but we still had it at the hotel. Breakfast buffet was 14.50 per person. They also have a gym & free computers in the lobby which were quite handy as our flight was 3 hours delayed. If you want to stay close to the airport I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Viajando4567
Carlingford, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Stayed for a night during trnasit. Very late night arrival, the room was clean and comfortable. Recetion staff were welcoming, breakfast options suited dietary requirements, te service was attentive and eficient. Have stayed in other Newark Airport hotles and this was as good as ones charging much more. Shuttle service was on time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jacqui H
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is by far the best hotel I have stayed in for flying out of the Newark airport. The hotel staff was welcoming, the shuttle quick, the rooms amazing! The hotel must have gone through a refurb recently as the rooms are super modern, sleek, comfortable and spotless! The restaurant was a little pricey but what hotel's restaurant isn't. Hands down, the best hotel near the Newark airport!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Road_Warrior_Raleigh
Missouri
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed there for the first time this past week. The hotel is either new or remodeled and the room was nice. The reason I gave this rating is twofold, first I went to the restaurant/bar and tried to sit at the bar to eat. There was a seat and it said reserved. I asked why they would reserve a seat at the bar and was told it is for a good customer who will be there soon. Went back to my room and came down 40 minutes later and the seat was still reserved with no one sitting. I complained and was told I could wait for a seat in the restaurant but I couldn't sit at the empty bar seat. Went to the front desk to complain and I was told they don't reserve seats and they would talk to the staff. I was given two drink coupons I couldn't use because the bar and restaurant was full.

Getting to the room, as mentioned it was up to date and nice. What wasn't nice is like many Holiday Inn's they must put a governor on the air conditioner. The thermostat was set at 65 but the room felt like 75 (and humid) when the air cut off. Never went back on even after I set it to 60. I travel every week and one thing I don't like is being hot when I sleep or try to sleep.

Last, when I went to check out, no one was at the desk. Waited 5 minutes before someone came out of the back room to print my receipt.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Newark Airport, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Steve K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you found our hotel nice and apologize for the inconvenience the service you received and air conditioning system may have caused. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Clean, affordable and rooms available after canceling our room at another place. Shuttle driver was nice and friendly. Place is right by the airport. Management is very nice and friendly towards all guests. Only bad part was the soda machine that would not accept my money. Other than that my 4 night stay was great and affordable. Nothing was broken or dirty. Everything was in great condition!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank daltonsosa
Kingston, New York
Reviewed July 21, 2014

One of my dearest friends, who now lives in Montana, was on the east coast and didn't have enough time to get to me in NY and back before her flight left so I booked us a suite for the night so we could catch up. A fantastic stay even though we had a couple of hiccups...first, as previous reviewers have noted, it's not the easiest place to find, and GPS gives you inaccurate directions. Just call the hotel first and they will tell you how to get there. We wanted to return her car that day as her flight was so early the next morning. Hiccup number two...and completely out fault. We thought that the shuttle driver would pick us up not at Enterprise but at the gate below (this is what we were told at Enterprise). Not the case, and poor Costas had to come back 3 times to find us. When we finally got to our room it was an absolute delight. Nice and big and clean - the pull out sleeper was quite comfortable and the pillows on the bed were definitely some of the best I have ever slept on in a hotel. We went down to the bar and had a great time talking with the bar and wait staff, playing cards, drinking wine and watching the World Cup. We did order room service and this is where my only complaint comes in - we ordered the baked brie and the spring rolls - the spring rolls were just blah, no real taste - and the baked brie was really quite unappetizing - it had not been fully heated and the consistency was that of a block of cheese rather than melted cheese. We put it on another plate and nuked it for a few minutes but it had lost its appeal at that point. And to make it worse, the kitchen had put the toast points underneath the cheese, so that they were completely soggy by the time they got to us. Gross....and the reason I gave 4 instead of 5 stars.

That said though I have nothing but high marks for the hotel. The staff, from front desk to maintenance to cleaning crew were all extremely friendly and we really appreciated the bar staff laughing with us two older ladies as we cruised down memory lane (Happy Birthday Jeff!).

Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and our window overlooked one of the runways. We turned off the lights and...