“HORRIBLE”

Hotel Riviera
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Newark
“HORRIBLE”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

we wanted a hotel just to sleep for the night, for the price we paid we expected a nicer room. as soon as we got in, we checked in, I had asked for a no smoking room, was told by the guy that the only room they had available for us was a smoking room. we were fine with that. the elevator was very old and had bullet holes. we walked straight into the room and almost walked out, we had no other choice but to stay because it was already mid night. the bathroom was horrible. the shower curtains were broken, and ripped, and had paint on them. the bathroom was clean but looked so rundown and nasty. I slept with my daughter because she said she was too scared, and my husband slept in the other bed. I was told by him in the morning that he woke up to three pokes on his ribs. he was to scared to go back to sleep and turned every light on and watched tv until the morning. definitely do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Lucy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Latham, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I booked this hotel because I was going to EDC at met life stadium and being a college student, i was on a budget. I found this hotel and booked it because it was cheap and relatively close to the venue of the event. To start, there was a SWAT team that went by the hotel when we first checked in. That pretty much sums up the neighborhood; very run down and a very bad area. I still checked in because for the price, I didn't care as long as I had a bed to sleep in with my friends. We put our luggage in the room and there was an opened water bottle in the fridge, so I don't know how well they really clean the rooms because you think they would of thrown that out..?

Anyways, after the event we were headed back to the hotel and I was asking a police officer for which bus to take. He seemed genuinely worried we were staying in that part of town and said "Are you serious? Can you stay at a different hotel? Maybe one without bullet holes in the walls?" That was coming from someone who is supposed to make me feel safe..

Lastly, we get back to the hotel and I went to charge my phone and saw something and my friend immediately saw it was a cockroach. I screamed so loud but she thought it was dead so she went to go clean it up. Turns out it was alive and on it's back. I honestly have a high tolerance for dirty-ness and literally just wanted a bed to sleep in, but seriously, cockroaches? We went to the front desk and they did nothing. Had to sleep with the lights on to hope more wouldn't come out. Also saw a small other unknown bug crawling on the floor.

Slept to the sounds of police sirens and the idea of cockroaches crawling on me.

Never been more disgusted in my life. A very eye opening experience. Don't stay here unless you have to.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank Laura M
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Ok, my wife and I like all you guys before, found this place because it was affordable and in the New York City area. It's in Newark so we didn't expect much anyway .Thank god we went upstairs to check out the room. We said hell no and got our money back.I honestly wouldn't put my dog to spend one night here. It's funny we never read the reviews before posting this.The reason I am writing this review, my wife and I were talking about horrible life experiences and this place came up, I decided to google the reviews and laughed reading all the horrible reviews of this place. I had such a great laugh because you have to see this place to believe it.
Please I know there are a lot of you who bailed after seeing this place.please write your review and share it with others.

Lastly if you want to prank your spouse and you guys fly into the New York City area or you reside in jersey, take them here pretend you are spending a night here and tape their reaction priceless keep it for years to come.

• Stayed January 2014
5 Thank Carboncarcopy
Cabo de Santo Agostinho, Pernambuco, Brazil
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I went to New York last December with my friends. And as We did not found any hotel in NYC, we decided to stay in Newark because it is very close to NYC. We started to look for some hotels and we found this place called Riviera Hotel. It seemed to be a good hotel, thus we booked 7 nights there. When we made the reservation, we asked for a no-smoking bedroom, but when we checked into the hotel, they gave us a smoking room. We tried to change it because I am allergic to that, but they said that is the only one available for you guys, that freaked me out. However, that was not our main problem. When I tried to connect the wireless it was not working, i complained, but they did not fix it. Second, we stayed there for 7 nights and they did not clean our bedroom. Third, they use pillows and sheets from hospitals.How did we figured it out ? because we could read the name of some hospitals on the sheets. Fourth, the mattress had a plastic bag covering it, so it was very uncomfortable for sleeping. Fifth, the windows were broken. I have problems to sleep with lights on and I told them about it, but they did not do anything. Sixth, the elevator had shooting holes and they have a guy with a gun to protect the hotel.Finally, I saw a mouse in the bedroom. That is really disgusting. So never, ever, ever go to that Hotel, they should be prohibited of working.
That was the worst experience in my whole life.

Room Tip: there is no good bedrooms there.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Alan S
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The Room was adequate,I mean it's dirt cheap....but I wasn't prepared for the police action that took place on my floor the night I stayed.........and there was a mouse,in my room also!!!
I got into the whole shining aura,and went with it.but when a friend wasn't allowed to leave the premises until things cooled down...that was one straw too many. I found Paraphernalia,when I moved a nightstand for a better computer experience. There was a dead roach in the mni-fridge.
overall what could have been an acceptable time turned into a very bad surreal misadventure. I condider myslef to be a go with the flow type of person..this was not the flow you would want to have. If I had read these reviews before,I could have save spare myself a memory that I won't be shaking for sometime. Believe these reviews,no one is being mean or any such thing. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank MarcellusH630
Banff, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have travelled all over the US and Canada and stayed in hundreds of hotels ...This was the signle worst hotel experience of my life! I felt like I'd checked into a prison for the night! There was bullet proof glass on the font desk and a security escort to and from your car - this gives you an idea of what the area is like. There were mice runnning around in the rooms and the last people's mess still in the toilet. Wouldn't stay again if you paid me!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Ryan D
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Ok so all the hotels in the area we needed where booked solid so we booked this hotel. We got there and yes the hotel is in a very very VERY bad area however I felt safe in the hotel.
Pros: Secured parking lot for only $5/day, staff was super friendly and nice, our room was huge (the size of a larges studio apt), yes it is a old hotel but our room was super clean, mattresses were new, 1 of them was comfy, wood floors, free wifi and fridge in room and lots of closet space and the ppl staying/living there were quite polite and very nice, close to newark airport, security escorts you to your car and to the room the first time you go to the room, window unit a/c that cooled the room quick, hotel entry door is locked at night

Cons: Hotel is in a VERY VERY bad area, one of the beds was hard but at least it was new and clean, its an older hotel that needs a facelift and a good scrub

Don't expect the Ritz Carlton bc it is not, but honestly I did not feel unsafe at any moment and Ive stayed in all sort of fancy and not so fancy hotels all over the world. Our room was very clean and the room was HUGE, staff was VERY friendly and super helpful, parking was cheap and a yucky McDonalds 1/2 block away. But keep in mind this is in a bad area so if you are someone who is bothered by that, take that in consideration, if u dont mind that, its a great cheap clean hotel to stay at. Great view from room. Its a historic building so its like stepping back in time, quite neat. I personally would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank WilsonSantiago85
Gary M, Manager at Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, July 18, 2016
Thanks for staying with us. We work hard to make our guests happy and appreciate your feedback!