“never stay any any howard johnson after this experience”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Auckland
“never stay any any howard johnson after this experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

I would never stay or recommend staying in another Howard Johnson in the world

In this occasion I believe booking.com needs to take some action against the hotel group. We had secured accommodations through them and when we requested information from the hotel and never recieved any correspondence we should had taken warning it was a bad sign. The hotel itself was difficult to communicate with, and when we finally arrived at 1pm in the morning, all we wished to do was sleep after an arduous 28 hours of travelling. But guess what, they had no more accommodation.

Would you think a 6 week booking would make sound reason to hold a room for us. However the staff were of the poorest quality and made every intention on trying to shove us into a stinking smelly pithole of a room, when even one of the memebers told the manager you cannot put them in there, plus when staff speak their native language, hindi, you should really make sure, your guests cannot speak the language before insulting them.

The staff then tried to orgasine another hotel room for us, but as they rang around, they wanted to take payment from me before we left the hotel. Just as we were waiting another van load of people turned up who had been shuttled to 3 other hotels and they were in the same boat as us.
We ended up finally getting to another hotel 4 hours later, and 45 mintues away from where we meant meant to stay. Surprisingly the Howard Johnson in Newark still expected me to pop around int he morning to pay him.I ill never stay here and Booking.com should also check the conditions of these hotels, this is meant to be a 3 star but from what we saw, and the consitions of the hotel, this is very unlikely to reach a 2 star.

Disgruntled and very annoyed client.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in October 2009. For the price we got it - hotel was just fine. We paid about $33 a night. The only mistake we maid, the reason of the trip was to visit NYC and the transportation fees are not cheap. Round trip on a bus from hotel to NYC is $25 a person or $15 one way. If you add it to the hotel price a night will be more convenient to get a hotel in NYC. The shuttle to the airport is free, but if you are going to NYC you'll need to take a train which is $15 person one way. Basically it's the same if you just pay little more for the hotel in NYC, probably you'll get the same quality of the hotel and won't have to travel 30-40 minutes each way.
The hotel was nice, clean, service was ok, we got all we needed with no problem. Restaurant in the hotel was just fine, food was delicious. We stayed there for 7 nights, most of the time spent in NYC. But the time we spent in the hotel was just fine.I would stay in the hotel again if it was in the NYC. There's nothing much to do around hotel in Newark. Parking is for the fee around $15. Basically if you are expecting to stay in 5 star hotel for $30 a night, you would not get what you wanted, but if you expect to get what you are paying for the hotel is just fine. I stayed in worst hotels for $100 a night. Also I have read some reviews of the hotels in NYC - hotels around $250-300 a night. There are some bad reviews also, I guess it's not the hotels that are bad, but the people who expect something much better than they get.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelers-to-nyc
kingston upon thames
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

Hotel was a place to sleep but it located close to newark airport and a freeway - otherwise it is not local to anything. The hotel is shabby and in need of decoration. However, it was cheap and a place to sleep. Adequate for a solo traveller or couple who don't care and just need a base. Shuttle bus ran late and hotel is forty mins from NYC - don't listen to hotel advise on how to get to NYC as they told me a route that cost $25, I found a route for $4 - take free shuttle bus to Newark airport then take bus 62 to newark pen station then catch train to NYC.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank mrsocool
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

I booked 19 rooms for a church function. Front desk manager, Victor, tried to get me to pay for the rooms 2 days prior to arrival. He requested to be the contact person for my group, yet it could take him a couple of hours to 2 days to return phone calls. He tried to vercharge some people in my group. I had to correct him on that. One of couples in my group informed me they saw a review referencing bed bug bites. I assured them i've stayed at this hotel on numerous occastions and never heard a complaint. Unfortunately, I arrived back to VA only to notice I have been biten by bed bugs. This is the first time in history this has happened to me. My bathtub, squeaked, shower curtain kept calling down as it was secured to the wall, pillow so flat it feels like you are sleeping on the mattress. And I received complaints from others that their sheets were dirty. Just dispicable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Bainbridge Island, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

I made the huge mistake of not booking a place in advance for just one night of our trip, so we stopped in this Howard Johnson's without a reservation. It was visible from the freeway near Newark Airport. We tried to look it up on the Howard Johnson's and Expedia websites before we stopped in, but it did not show up online. They explained at the desk that they take the hotel off all the listing services when they have all but 5 rooms booked up for the night, so they don't have to pay commissions. First bad sign. Their sign screams "rooms starting from $49.99", but don't believe it. We were charged $155.

There were 3 or 4 guys behind the counter, and they all seemed to be on their cell phones taking personal calls. When we were checked in, they guy was fairly slow, and he also quoted a room rate of $139, ran my credit card, THEN told me we'd also have to pay $15 for parking. I had a bad feeling about the whole thing and told the guy I wasn't sure I wanted to check in. He informed me it was too late, because he had already swiped my credit card.

We stayed in a room with 1 Queen bed. It looked physically dirty. The drapes were ripped in half in order to draw past the air conditioning unit. We could feel the springs coming out of the bed. They claim to have free wi-fi, but it turned out to be so intermittent that it wasn't really usable. I did log in long enough to see the words "bed bugs" on another TripAdvisor review, which proceeded to keep me from sleeping a wink that night.

In the morning when we took our showers, we found that the bath drain did not work, so we were forced to turn on the water, get wet, turn it off, then soap up and shampoo, then turn on just enough water to rinse. Otherwise, we would have flooded the place. The towels had blond hairs in them. The place was generally dirty and in disrepair.

The hotel has a restaurant, but we were afraid to eat there because of the uncleanliness of the rest of the hotel. We weren't near any restaurants, and it was late, so we didn't eat dinner at all.

All in all, this is the worst hotel I've stayed in in my life, and I've stayed in quite a few budget hotels. Mostly, the staff was a bit scary, and the place was not clean. Plus, we got totally ripped off at $155 for a room like this. Really--don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

Everything was great.......location was perfect, the hotel staff were very helpful.
We loved this hotel and most importantly its value for money.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

Not worth it at any price. We used hotwire.com so I didn't have the chance to check reviews here before booking but it appears that i'm not the only one!

I got a number of bites on my back and legs, and one bad one on my hand--it's so swollen now that I can barely make a fist! Awful. Luckily I read the tripadvisor reviews and knew to be careful with my luggage. I kept it away from the bed and I was careful not to end up with bugs in my clothes so no infestation at home. But honestly--do yourself a favor and don't take the chance. Yuck.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple