“A place to sleep”

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Newark
kingston upon thames
“A place to sleep”
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Hotel was a place to sleep but it located close to newark airport and a freeway - otherwise it is not local to anything. The hotel is shabby and in need of decoration. However, it was cheap and a place to sleep. Adequate for a solo traveller or couple who don't care and just need a base. Shuttle bus ran late and hotel is forty mins from NYC - don't listen to hotel advise on how to get to NYC as they told me a route that cost $25, I found a route for $4 - take free shuttle bus to Newark airport then take bus 62 to newark pen station then catch train to NYC.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank mrsocool

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I booked 19 rooms for a church function. Front desk manager, Victor, tried to get me to pay for the rooms 2 days prior to arrival. He requested to be the contact person for my group, yet it could take him a couple of hours to 2 days to return phone calls. He tried to vercharge some people in my group. I had to correct him on that. One of couples in my group informed me they saw a review referencing bed bug bites. I assured them i've stayed at this hotel on numerous occastions and never heard a complaint. Unfortunately, I arrived back to VA only to notice I have been biten by bed bugs. This is the first time in history this has happened to me. My bathtub, squeaked, shower curtain kept calling down as it was secured to the wall, pillow so flat it feels like you are sleeping on the mattress. And I received complaints from others that their sheets were dirty. Just dispicable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I made the huge mistake of not booking a place in advance for just one night of our trip, so we stopped in this Howard Johnson's without a reservation. It was visible from the freeway near Newark Airport. We tried to look it up on the Howard Johnson's and Expedia websites before we stopped in, but it did not show up online. They explained at the desk that they take the hotel off all the listing services when they have all but 5 rooms booked up for the night, so they don't have to pay commissions. First bad sign. Their sign screams "rooms starting from $49.99", but don't believe it. We were charged $155.

There were 3 or 4 guys behind the counter, and they all seemed to be on their cell phones taking personal calls. When we were checked in, they guy was fairly slow, and he also quoted a room rate of $139, ran my credit card, THEN told me we'd also have to pay $15 for parking. I had a bad feeling about the whole thing and told the guy I wasn't sure I wanted to check in. He informed me it was too late, because he had already swiped my credit card.

We stayed in a room with 1 Queen bed. It looked physically dirty. The drapes were ripped in half in order to draw past the air conditioning unit. We could feel the springs coming out of the bed. They claim to have free wi-fi, but it turned out to be so intermittent that it wasn't really usable. I did log in long enough to see the words "bed bugs" on another TripAdvisor review, which proceeded to keep me from sleeping a wink that night.

In the morning when we took our showers, we found that the bath drain did not work, so we were forced to turn on the water, get wet, turn it off, then soap up and shampoo, then turn on just enough water to rinse. Otherwise, we would have flooded the place. The towels had blond hairs in them. The place was generally dirty and in disrepair.

The hotel has a restaurant, but we were afraid to eat there because of the uncleanliness of the rest of the hotel. We weren't near any restaurants, and it was late, so we didn't eat dinner at all.

All in all, this is the worst hotel I've stayed in in my life, and I've stayed in quite a few budget hotels. Mostly, the staff was a bit scary, and the place was not clean. Plus, we got totally ripped off at $155 for a room like this. Really--don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Everything was great.......location was perfect, the hotel staff were very helpful.
We loved this hotel and most importantly its value for money.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
USA
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Not worth it at any price. We used hotwire.com so I didn't have the chance to check reviews here before booking but it appears that i'm not the only one!

I got a number of bites on my back and legs, and one bad one on my hand--it's so swollen now that I can barely make a fist! Awful. Luckily I read the tripadvisor reviews and knew to be careful with my luggage. I kept it away from the bed and I was careful not to end up with bugs in my clothes so no infestation at home. But honestly--do yourself a favor and don't take the chance. Yuck.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed July 15, 2010

cant realy say much apart from this hotel is disgusting.
there is a huge smell of indian food everywhere.
the rooms are filthy, bed sheets i dont think where changed before we arrived, they were smelly and covered in hairs, we have to lie on our beach towels on top of the bed.
poor lighting in the room which makes it even more dull and depressing.
bugs scurrying up the walls.
they charge you $15 per day for parking which they dont tell you about at booking stage.
hotel is under the flight path so can be noisy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2010

You can tell from other reviews that this place is not up to usual American standards and is barely fit for the rest of the world. It's a dive - pure and simple - and I can't remember staying anywhere worse since the 70's. Run by Asians (Indian, I think), you're greeted by a distinct odour in the common areas which some will not like.

Don't get me wrong - it's true that they provide a free shuttle from P4 EWR, and that the services onsite match their advertising. There's a small "restaurant" serving overpriced snack food and that's your only choice as you're a long way from anywhere else. The gym on the third floor looked adequate. They have vending machines (although it's pot luck if you get what you press).

My room had a lovely view of the junkyard next door and could not have been closer to the passing planes. Fortunately, it was so hot outside that the a/c drowned most of the noise.

On the plus side, the a/c worked, there's a fridge and a TV. The bed was OK but nothing special. The bathroom was functional. The reception staff were pleasant and the room was serviced correctly.

However, I'd find somewhere else on my next visit, as the $60/night (+$6 parking) is too much for this. I couldn't recommend this hotel to an enemy, let alone a friend. Even the 'high-speed internet' reminded me of the 70's. Awful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business