“Just fine for the $$” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Newark
St. Louis, MO
“Just fine for the $$”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

I thought I was the pickiest traveler around -- whoever is writing most of these reviews has me beat by a long shot. This hotel is just fine. If you want "Hilton" ammenities, then pay the price and stay at the Hilton. The hotel was older, smoking rooms did smell like smoke but that's why they're smoking rooms. Ours was clean, a/c worked fine, bathroom was clean and roomy. Spotless when we got there, obviously not as much attention to detail during our use of the room, but ammenities restocked, trash out, beds made and vacuumed. Staff was not overly friendly or outgoing but they were not rude. Some complain of airport noise, we never heard a thing on the first floor. I could see how it would be hard to find if you were driving, but we did not. Shuttle could have been a little speedier to and from the hotel, but no big deal and it was free. We feel we got our money's worth -- it was clean and comfortable. FYI to ones staying in Newark and traveling to Manhattan to sightsee --- free shuttle to airport, bus to Penn Station, PATH to Manhattan. It's takes a minute to figure out, but smooth after that and saves a lot of $$. Feel free to email me, I have all the bus/train numbers and ticket cost and info. Enjoy your trip. sonia_norman@hotmail.com

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Orlando
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

The first thing I notice when I walk in the hotel is that the people at the check in are sitting on towels which is def. not a good sign. You can smell the odor fill the lobby and if you have the bottom floor thats the worst. The Bottom floor is not renovated and is old. I had come for a wedding that 4 days and the first night I had the bottom floor room 116 which smelled horrible and looked like it was old. The bathroom was okay but if you look at the ceiling you can webs and rusty color. Then the beds are uncomfortable and the ac was broken. The next day we switched to room 200 which was slight better because it didn't have wallpaper and looked a bit newer not much but the smell stayed and it was horrible. That 4 days were the worst my nose got stuffy and i fell ill after staying there. Word of advice don't stay inside the hotel much maybe to sleep. The cleaning ladies didn't clean all the mess and there towels had brown spots and were cheap quality. Service was slow and were lazy . Pro was that the hotel had transportation to the airport. Spend extra money and stay at a good hotel its better than being sick and not getting good sleep. Oh the internet is not free and the parking is not either and at night the guard isn't there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
San Antonio, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

One wrong turn and next thing you know you're driving around in crack-and-hookerville for 2 hrs. The frontage rd is wooded and desolate, so it looks like a place you're not supposed to be. The front desk staff has no idea how to get to the hotel from any place/highway other than the turnpike. So that wasn't the most fun. Plus getting lost in New Jersey isn't free. We probably spend an extra five bucks in tolls a night trying to find this place. It definitely would've been worth it to spend the extra $$$ to stay at the holiday inn directly off the highway.

Plus the clerk double charged us for parking, which was $15 per night. Luckily he realized the mistake before we checked out.

The room was pretty nice. It was clean and pretty high class for such a cheap price. Free wi-fi. The front desk staff during the day was nice and helpful, at night.. not so much. The airplanes were super loud, but it didn't bother any of us.

Downsides of the hotel: No pool. The lobby and hallways smell weird. In one of our rooms the tv didn't work. The restaurant and gift shop were pretty expensive.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

This was not a hotel of MY choice. It was chosen by family because we were in town for a family get together. This hotel was a dump!

When we first arrived, the room felt damp to me. But I overlooked it, because I thought maybe because the air conditioner wasn't on and due to the humidity outside, that that may have caused the room to feel damp. Until my husband took off his shoes and the floor felt damp. Again I excused it, thinking that after we turned on the AC that the floor just felt cool. Until I put my clothes in the drawer and knelt down and felt dampness on my legs.

The toilet ran all night. The stopper in my sink got stuck so I thought I was going to have to scoop the water out of the sink with a cup, until I looked under the sink and saw the gadget that connects to stopper was broken, but I had sense enough to figure out how to get the water out.

The fitness room they pictured on their site. Most of the equipment is broken! I thought it was odd that it was located on the 3rd floor immediately after you got off the elevator and to my surprise there is no curtain hiding the room, meaning any guests walking past will get a glimpse of what you're doing. There is no phone in there, no TV, no radio. Just a room with broken exercise equipment.

The guy that worked the front desk seemed to live there, because he was there from the time we checked in on Friday night until we left Sunday morning. And he was not helpful at all and kind of rude. Not sure if there was a language barrier, or if that was just his personality.

As mentioned in other reviews, there was a $15 charge for parking. How do you charge your guests $15 to park their vehicle? And it's not even a nice safe looking parking lot.

This place was a dump and I would never EVER recommend anyone to stay here. Run away, run far far away!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

This is an isolated, smelly hotel. The hotel is located 20 minutes from the airport, near a freeway, next to an old parking lot for equipment. The surrounding area is desolate. There is no food, retail, or offices nearby. The 12 miles to Manhattan might as well be 1200. It takes 90 minutes each way, if you are using public transportation. You must take the hotel shuttle to the airport train to the city bus to the PATH train, then to the NYC subways. Shady drivers hover around the hotel entrace, offering rides to the city for about $75 per car. Beware! The price changes. The hotel shuttle seats 11, and since it is the only way out, it is often full with a line of passengers waiting. Plan accordingly if you need to catch a flight.

The hotel lobby smells of old smoke. The room was tidy, but so worn that it felt dirty and slimy. There is a tiny eating area in the lobby. The chalkboard advertised a pork chop and steamed vegetables for $18.95. We never saw anyone in it; it appeared closed. Even the vending machine candy bars were $1.50. we ordered pizza from a local delivery service (their menu was pushed under our door), and after 90 minutes our pizza was delivered. We had no other options.

The staff was not inclined to be helpful. On our final day, we asked to store our baggage after check-out, until the afternoon. Even that was a surprising fee. Find another place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

even though we were staying on a non smoking floor, there was lots of cigarette smoke coming out of the bathroom ventilator, even when we closed the batchroom door the smoke just kept on coming in all night. I couldn't sleep at all and felt I was being choked by this smoke.
The hotel is right under the flight path of airplanes making final approach to the runway, so you will hear and see planes every few minutes all night, they don't seem to have a curfew at that airport.
Everything else is what you would expect form a two star hotel.
The only positive is the proximity to the airport and the 24 hour free shuttle.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

This hotel is practically located at the end of a runway at Newark, so planes are constantly flying overhead when the particular runway is in use. The front desk guy will claim that all of the rooms are quiet rooms when you ask to move to another. If I ever have to stay in Newark again, I will not be staying at this hotel. There was also a surprise charge for parking that I didn't see mentioned anywhere when I booked online at the Howard Johnson website.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple