“Trapped in Terrible Hotel!”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Newark
California
“Trapped in Terrible Hotel!”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This is an isolated, smelly hotel. The hotel is located 20 minutes from the airport, near a freeway, next to an old parking lot for equipment. The surrounding area is desolate. There is no food, retail, or offices nearby. The 12 miles to Manhattan might as well be 1200. It takes 90 minutes each way, if you are using public transportation. You must take the hotel shuttle to the airport train to the city bus to the PATH train, then to the NYC subways. Shady drivers hover around the hotel entrace, offering rides to the city for about $75 per car. Beware! The price changes. The hotel shuttle seats 11, and since it is the only way out, it is often full with a line of passengers waiting. Plan accordingly if you need to catch a flight.

The hotel lobby smells of old smoke. The room was tidy, but so worn that it felt dirty and slimy. There is a tiny eating area in the lobby. The chalkboard advertised a pork chop and steamed vegetables for $18.95. We never saw anyone in it; it appeared closed. Even the vending machine candy bars were $1.50. we ordered pizza from a local delivery service (their menu was pushed under our door), and after 90 minutes our pizza was delivered. We had no other options.

The staff was not inclined to be helpful. On our final day, we asked to store our baggage after check-out, until the afternoon. Even that was a surprising fee. Find another place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed June 28, 2009

even though we were staying on a non smoking floor, there was lots of cigarette smoke coming out of the bathroom ventilator, even when we closed the batchroom door the smoke just kept on coming in all night. I couldn't sleep at all and felt I was being choked by this smoke.
The hotel is right under the flight path of airplanes making final approach to the runway, so you will hear and see planes every few minutes all night, they don't seem to have a curfew at that airport.
Everything else is what you would expect form a two star hotel.
The only positive is the proximity to the airport and the 24 hour free shuttle.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2009

This hotel is practically located at the end of a runway at Newark, so planes are constantly flying overhead when the particular runway is in use. The front desk guy will claim that all of the rooms are quiet rooms when you ask to move to another. If I ever have to stay in Newark again, I will not be staying at this hotel. There was also a surprise charge for parking that I didn't see mentioned anywhere when I booked online at the Howard Johnson website.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Tx
Reviewed May 29, 2009

We were forced to find accommodations at the last minute due to a canceled flight. Called around to other hotels close to airport, since airline would not put us up for the night due to weather. Found that the HJ was considerably lower than others. Was very surprised, it took all of 10 minutes to get our rooms. They were clean and served there purpose. We would come back even if we were going to stay longer.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed May 4, 2009

This hotel is definitely no frills. It is a good place to stay if you have a lay over, or need to sleep somewhere before going to or from the airport. I would not recommend it to light sleepers because as said before, it is right off the main landing strip of the airport. The rooms are pretty well insulated against noise, but not that much noise. Also, it is in a very strange location. To get to the parking lot you have to drive through an airport parking lot.

The first room that we were assigned had not been cleaned yet. When we went back to the front desk, the attendant very quickly apologized and assigned us a different room. I believe this was an honest mistake, but it was a little inconvenient to haul luggage to the second floor and then back down.

Also, as mentioned there is a $15 per day parking fee. This was ridiculous to me, because that was almost half the cost of what we paid for the room. I can understand for guest that go to the airport and then return to the hotel when they get back from a trip, but for someone that is staying there for one night it was definitely steep. Also, the $15 is taxed and it totals to $17.10. I knew that New Jersey like to tax people but that seemed a little ridiculous.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I'm a travel agent, so I booked a room for a sight inspection for one of my business clients. The company is tring to cut travel expenses, as most are in this economy. Needless to say they will NOT be staying at this dump. This hotel should be knocked down and rebuilt. As mentioned by other reviewrs, The staff was discourteous, the stench of the lobby area and throughout the hallways of God only knows what. Oh I remember, crack cocaine. I found bags in the hallways of the stuff.

I paid the $15.00 per day for parking, only to find my rental cars bumper had been smashed in by some other driver. It wasn't until I called the police to file a report that I saw upon exiting the sign that says they are not responsible for any vehicles. As mentioned earlier by another reviewer, the hotel is located across from a parking lot. This is an extended stay lot for passengers traveling for long periods of time. A dump in itself. You would be safer walking in any ghetto. When I asked for the security tapes to give my insurance company, the same African American front desk clerk mentioned earlier said "Oh well, I guess you'll have to call the cops."

The website stated refrigerator and microwave in ALL rooms. My room didn't have either. When I enquired about that they said that was not true.

Oh, and the free breakfast. If you can get someone who wasn't reading a newspaper in Hindu, you were lucky. When I checked in, I was told the complimentary breakfast was coffee, juice, and a muffin. When I went to get that breakfast, I was told coffee or juice, and a muffin. The HoJo website says all Kelloggs products are served for breakfast. Hmmm.

All the staff were discourteous, rude, and obnoxious. Things like soap, shampoo, coffee, creamer were not filled. The condition of the room? Lets see. The sheets were, um, dirty. Garbage was not emptied. Getting the staff to remedy these simple things was like asking for the impossible.

There's a box here to check if you would recommend this hotel to your friends. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my enemies!!!!

The business center was 2 computers on an elevated desk in a 3 by 4 space next to the check in desk. Not good for the business traveller.

Avoid this hotel at all cost!!!!. Spend the extra money on another hotel. You'll be glad you did.

I contacted and wrote to HoJo, and they said they can't do anything about this. This hotel is not owned by HoJo, and is a franchised property.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Brazil
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Very clean room and bathroom!
The shuttle service to Liberty Airport was on time.
Check in and out was very easy!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family