“Good for one night”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The room i got was pretty good. Didnt have any bed bugs or anything. Service was also pretty good. Only thing you should give attention is their parking policy. I only parked my car their for 1 hour and they wanted $15 for that. Had to argue a bit to get off. The room, for the price is defenitely an upgrade compared to the EconoLonge in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear jonze5,

Hello I would like to thank you very much for the kind words and an apology for the situation on removing the parking charge as it is something done by all of the hotels in the area. We hope to see you again soon. Thank You. Go Happy Go Hojo !

Reviewed August 28, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here for one night, walked in and what do I see on the pillow bed bugs, called down to complain they told me to come down and they would give me another room no apologies and I came back up for my lugage room service was there picking up the bugs with toiltet paper. DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE.

Dear Tulips818,

Hello I would like to apologize very much for the unexpected situation found on your bed after you entered the room. This is something that our housekeepers would have figured out while cleaning the room and having it ready for you. I understand the anger and frustration you have felt because of your findinings so we had a special team called and have inspected all of our rooms and diagnosed them with a formula to eleminate all the invisible disturbances.

I gaurantee you that by your next stay situations similiar to this will not occur and the rooms will be fresher than ever. Once again I apologize very much for this situation and hope to see you again soon. As a matter of fact by your next stay if this situation repeats itself than a compensation will be provided immidiately to you as a percentage. Thank you for your response. Go Happy Go Hojo !

Reviewed August 26, 2013

For one night this hotel is very good, rooms are spacious and clean and you hear nothing of the nearby airport. beds are very soft...
But take into consideration that the shuttle bus is not that frequent than the ones of other hotels, we waited quite a lot when we arrived and the same when we left - so plan your time
You cannot get alcoholic beverages in the hotel, not even a beer.
If you would like to eat something you should order a Pizza in the hotels restaurant, They are good and big, 1 pizza serves easily 2-3 persons and by this they are really not expensive
And for booking it go directly to the HoJo.com, prices there were cheaper than in any other portal

Dear MartinaMex,

Hello I want to thank you very much for the kind review as you have mentioned several key points that I want to clarify. The hotel is a mid-scale hotel where the service is not comparable to other top brands such as Marriott, Hilton, Hampton Inn, or even Comfort Suites as we differ greatly in service, rooms, and rates based on the brand standards.

I understand from your review that the shuttle was not on time to pick you up from the airport but I would like to apologize on behalf of the driver as he may be in traffic, servicing other guests while dropping them off at particular terminals. However, this is something unexcusebale and as an Howard Johnson employee he was informed to better his driving, planning, and organization skills.

On the other hand alchoholic beverages are not sold on premises because a license is require for the sale of such beverages, considering the fact that it is expensive for purchase as well. If we were to sell such beverages, the local government and alchohol control would penalize or even snatch our operating license away. However, sincere apologies for not having those beverages availible.

Thank you very much for your concerns and kind words as well as we are doing our best to deliver the best service for all the guests at our hotel. We hope to see you again soon. Go Happy Go Hojo !

Reviewed August 22, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Natalie Y
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Please stay away from this hotel, like I said in my previous post I work at a hotel in Orlando Florida, so I know how a hotel should be ran. This hotel is overpriced and is no better than a Motel 6, actually I shouldn’t compare this to a Motel 6 because when I checked out of this hotel that’s where I went, to a Motel 6 and it was cheaper and better. The Howard Johnson is a franchise and obviously is not up to company standards, the rooms smell and a lot of the furniture in the rooms are missing knobs and handles. They also charge guest $15.00 a day to park, and I think that is high considering you are already over paying for the filthy room. We had bugs crawling up the walls and my sister also had a room and housekeeping walked in on her in the morning when she was getting out of the shower. I rarely complain about anything but I have to warn anyone in this area looking for a hotel to stay away, stay far away.

Dear Darren W,

Hello Mr Darren W, I would like to very deeply apologize for all the inconvenience we have provided you. It is not in our nature to provide a filthy room to the guest as you have explained. The housekeeper are fully informed and retrained to deliver a better performance value and I have discussed the topic and value of privacy to them. They claim they understand but knowing them they will be able to cope with the new ideology . The parking fee as mentioned is something done by all hotels in the area and as a practice we have followed for a while. Nonetheless I would like to apologize very much for all the unsatisfactory aspects of your stay. Go Happy Go Hojo !

Reviewed August 19, 2013