“The hotel is a bit run down. The location in relation to...”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Newark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Saugerties, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was close by the Prudential Center where we were going to an event. The good thing was they had a shuttle to and from the Prudential center every half hour. There was a fee for parking which was an unpleasant surprise, wish it was included in the cost of the room. The staff was friendly and the front main area was clean and smelled good. Our room was another story. There were water stains on the walls and ceiling, our remote control wouldn't work so I turned the TV on manually and it wouldn't turn on. The noise from the planes at the airport was unavoidable, but can be slept through. There were no pillow cases on the pillows and they were very thin and basic. Must have been the cheapest economy pillows they could afford. The bed was very stiff, not very comfortable. The towels felt like sandpaper they were so thin and starchy. Upon entering the room there was about a quarter of a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom and not a spare roll anywhere. Just a very outdated room which needed basic cleaning. Also found a previous hotel goer's lace tank top between the couch and the window so you can tell it is not thoroughly cleaned. I'd only stay there again if I HAD to.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel from April 26-30, in room 316 and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel itself and the room were clean, and there were no bed-bugs or anything similar to that. Yes, I have found a few hairs on a couple of towels, however, it was not due to the lack of washing, but rather, the hairs getting into the machines while being washed. There was a little gum like stain on a comforter, and so when I pointed that out to the reception, I was brought a new comforter and clean towels within 5 minutes of my complaint. The bathtub had a dark mark in it, but it wasn't dirt... Looked more like just a residue because the tub is old, that's all. The bed was so comfortable, I did not want to get out of it at times. The matters was soft, and so we're the pillows. There was a hitter/air conditioning, and it work fine. Also, the coffee they provided, was pretty decent. It's no Starbucks, but it's okay to have first thing in the morning.

The restaurant at the hotel has really good and tasty food. The prices range between $7-$15 (depending on the order) and the portions are big, so can be definitely split between 2 people.

I have read a lot of reviews expressing the fact that it's too noisy... We'll, if someone is booking a hotel by the airport, DO expect a level of noise made by jets landing and taking off!!! Invest in some earplugs and you'll be perfectly fine.

The shuttle to the airport runs every 30 minutes, and from the airport a train is accessible on to NYC Penn Station. The hotel also offers a shuttle bus for the same fee that a round trip to NYC would cost, however, I never used it, as I did not want to be dependant on the shuttle service hours. The train runs pretty late, so I just had to be careful not to miss it, and follow the schedule. The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that staff could not provide me with any travel/location info, and told me I can Google it. Daaahhh... So make sure you have a laptop or a tablet handy for some research, as the WiFi is free and very fast. I had no issues with it.

All and all, I have to say that in my experience, I had a great stay. I have read many reviews where people simply had extreme expectations, and I was very hesitant, however since I did not have a choice, I had to book it, and I am glad I did. The hotel is fine, the services are fine, and people need to realize that it's a 2 star hotel, and have appropriate expectations. It is not a luxury hotel, and it is more than decent for a 2 star.

Hope that helps.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Elola81
Chamisal, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Yes, the neighborhood is not attractive, but the vintage structure offers spacious rooms, the beds are clean. I found it VERY QUIET, felt safe. The shuttle was prompt, quick. The staff was efficient. There were wash cloths (many hotels don't have them anymore). Lots of pillows, shampoo and stuff, little mr. coffee maker worked. Talked to a pilot on the shuttle bus ride on his way to the airport for a days work. The bus drops you off at an air train stop. Get on the air train and you are a minute or two ride to the terminal. If you don't know your terminal don't worry, it is clearly marked inside the train-which airlines are in which terminal. The shuttle runs every half hour. I'd say it took no more than 15 minutes to get from hotel to the Delta ticket counter at 5:30 in the morning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Marie Coté T
Erwin
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Staff was not helpful, did not care.

I stayed in this hotel because of the airport shuttle. I had to walk next door in the rain to get a shuttle from a parking company.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business