“The shower handle came off” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Newark
houston
“The shower handle came off”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

A friend and I were planning a trip to NYC for New Years Eve and by the time we looked at hotels, this was literally the only one left in our price range in the whole NYC/Newark area and since we were flying into Newark Airport, it made more sense to pick this one. Reading the reviews and ratings, I already knew what I was getting into so I was expecting a subpar room. My only positive note is the service. The front desk staff was nice. Cleanliness and comfort are my biggest negatives. The beds were not soft at all and the drapes partially blocked the heat coming from the A/C. My biggest hotel pet peeve is cleanliness. Little things here and there made me uncomfortable (towels with faded stains, pillowcases with faded stains, etc). I didn't even pull back and sleep in the bed sheets. I slept underneath the extra thin comforter (which didnt help me being cold). The room and the whole building could definitely use some updating and better maintenance. The kicker for me was when I went to turn on the shower and the handle came off! I was so shocked! I put it back on myself but that should never happen. I was glad to leave and head home after the third day. I wish I could've stayed in another hotel but for the price and the location, it was just okay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
NEWARK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed here because of the park-sleep-ride arrangement which allowed us to drive up the night before an early flight, park our car at the hotel, stay the night at the hotel, then take their shuttle in the morning direct to the airport. We were permitted to leave our car for the week we were away.
Fine for what it was intended for. Rooms were plenty nice for the purpose.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family