“Funky, affordable and sweet”
Review of New York Homestay

and 1 more site!
New York Homestay
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I loved this place with its funky decor, very affordable rates, and quirky rooms. George, the innkeeper, was so very kind to wait for us until very late when our connections to Newark were delayed. Good Central American food in easy walking distance, and a short taxi ride over to hip hangouts in the Newark's stylish Ironbound District and to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pdavisx

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Needs a modern makeover and a proper housekeeping staff. the location is unsafe and no security systems installed. Nervous to even let my kids sleep at this dump. The beds were comfy, the towels were clean, but the receptionist was unfriendly. They could do better than this !!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2013

The rooms were unclean, staff very rigid and unfriendly with rude attitude, waiting for a long time for room service. I knew I should not have stayed at this location, It took a beating out of my pocket and will never make the same mistake twice. Location unsafe and no security systems installed. Please understand hospitality and all it's factors before doing business @ "New York Bed and Breakfast". Anywhere but here.

Room Tip: Stay away if possible at all costs.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Neal G
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My best friend and I were in town for a concert. We booked the stay last minute- like... the morning-of (we called and booked a room at 9am and we arrived at 12:45pm)! George, the inn keeper, was very nice. During our journey down (from CT, so not too far) George called us and asked if we were still traveling, and that he wished us safe travels- how sweet! :)

When we arrived 15 minutes prior to our scheduled early check-in, George was sweet enough to let us get ready for the concert in a room (in building #19) that wasn't meant for us. (The people in our room were still in the midst of checking out, I guess.) We spent about 1.5 hours getting ready and happily went on our way to the Prudential Center (which was roughly 6 miles to and from! a very easy car ride).

Upon arrival to our room (building #17 at around 1am), we made sure to be very quiet so we wouldn't disturb the woman whose room was next to ours. I will note that the stairs are extremely narrow. Darkness + Narrow Stairs + Late Night = Not Good. We tried our best to be quiet, but I think we DID end up waking the woman next door. (Sorry, if you're reading this.) Our room was quaint, but eery. It was small, but enough for two woman to get around and place our things in. Also, I'd like to note that it was quite cold the night we slept- I ended up in a thick sweater to keep from shivering.

We used the rest room that night/morning and noted that the bathroom was large and looked very nice. But I could tell that the upkeep just wasn't there. I couldn't place a finger on the last time the bathroom was deep cleaned.

Check-out was easy. George gave us instructions to just leave the keys on a nearby desk and we were well on our way! He also ended up calling us when we were scouting Manhattan (it's been a while... I try not to go into NYC...). He told us that he was sad that we left without seeing him. He also mentioned that he was interested in how the concert went. :) He was just so very nice!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank redsox58
Reviewed January 27, 2011

So I want to be as objective as possible so I will list the positive and negative attributes of this "bed and breakfast."

First, however, I would like to state that you shouldn't get tricked. Before paying and agreeing to stay ask George to show you 1) a functioning microwave; 2) functioning heat-- look for a leak in the front bedroom which pours downstairs above the TV when the heat is on (gaping hole in the ceiling.); 3) Water from the kitchen sink (it doesn't function). None of these things were functioning during my stay.

Positive

1. The location places you in fairly quick access to all parts of Newark and is close to public transportation.

Negative (in addition to the ones listed above)

1. It isn't a bed and breakfast. Breakfast was never offered even for an additional fee.

2. You share a bathroom with all the houseguests, male ad female. Thus you could be sharing ONE bathroom with up to 3 additional guests.

3. While the location is close to everything, it isn't a particularly nice area. There is a lot of noise behind the house which abuts an alley.

4. The place is freezing! If you are staying in the summer this wouldn't be a problem but in the winter its brutal.

5. The Proprietor's brother randomly stays in the basement a few times a week without notice.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
9  Thank Traveler2011973
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I stayed here for 9 days in March to visit New York City. I think this was an awesome place to stay!

This is kind of a cross between a bed & breakfast and a vacation rental. The owners meet you at the beginning of your stay, and come back every day or two to tidy up the place. They will give you breakfast, but it's an extra fee. That's about all you see of them, and so it's much closer to a vacation rental in that way. But it's not a bad thing - seeing as how many people seem to be there to have a convenient way to see New York City, and are just looking for a place to stay.

The value of this place is outstanding. I stayed there by myself the whole time with the run of the house, and paid around half of what some of the most basic hostels and hotels in New York were charging. I call that some of the most excellent value I have ever seen. Even with the extra transportation costs factored in (it's currently $7 RT on NJ transit, but that's also currently being debated to be raised), you are still saving tons of money.

I included pictures with this review, so it's easy to get a little feel for the place. I stayed in a room with a queen size bed, and it was quite comfortable. There was also a room with two twin beds, so I would really recommend this place for a family or a small group of friends traveling. It's just the perfect size for 4-5 people - there are only two bedrooms, so if you take them both, you have the whole house. What I didn't quite get in the pictures what there is a desk/hutch that has DVDs and CDs right there, so there is already family entertainment there, but you can bring your own DVDs and CDs, as well. The TV has a DVD player, and there is a CD radio on the desk/hutch. The kitchen is equipped for basic cooking, and there is a perfect table for 3-4 people in there. The bathroom is a little small and the only one in the place, but it was perfect for just me. I can't say that would be the case with group travel, but that's not how I experienced it. I will say that the bathroom is downstairs, and the bedrooms are upstairs. The steps are a little steep, so it's something that if you have to be upstairs or downstairs really quickly, it might be a problem. I just peeked in at the other bedroom to take a picture, so I can't say anything about it. My room had the queen size bed, as I said, but also a little area in which you could set your stuff and move around - perfect for unpacking and getting your stuff and self together.

Some things I noticed that need to be mentioned:

The neighborhood this is in is not the best. Absolutely by far not the worst, but if you come from suburbia, this might be a bit jarring. It is definitely a safe place, but you should always be watchful at all times, anyways. I had no worries walking to and from the station (a quick 3-5 minute walk), but that's me. I have been in much worse places, so not much frightens me. Just be aware that this isn't like the suburbs of most places, and to be on your guard, and you'll be fine. Also, there is a good amount of street noise you can hear in the house. Nothing that would bother most people, but it's worth noting - if you come from somewhere where it's always quiet on the street, this could bother you.

The house is not wheelchair accessible at all. Also, if you have problems walking to places, this might not be a place for you. There are places nearby to get food and amenities, but most good places are within driving distance, not walking distance. If you bring a car, there is parking right outside the front door. But this is all moot if you are staying there for New York (except for the wheelchairs). The train is close enough, and you can pick up whatever you need from the shops (including Kmart and Duane Reade pharmacies) in Penn Station or other places.

I think that's everything that needs to be said about this place. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who is wanting a great place to stay at a terrific price.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank annejohnson10
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We spent six days at this location. The house is very close to the trains to Manhattan and only takes 15 min to Madison Sq. Garden. The place is safe and lighted at night. The owner was nice and offer us a ride to the supermarket. The beds are confortable and the entire place is clean. Very cheap for what we got, close but distant from the hectic city.
My husband and sons are coming back in three months and I am planning to come back for Christmas with my mother.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family