“Basic rooms”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Providence
New Providence, New Jersey
“Basic rooms”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

There are not many hotels in the Summit/ New Providence area and because of this the room rates can be a little expensive. This hotel is usually the most reasonable, especially on the weekends. The best thing about New Providence is that the restaurants don't serve alcohol so you can bring your own wine and beer to enjoy during your meal. The same is true for most of the restaurants in Summit and the surrounding area.

• Stayed August 2013
Kerry L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Murray Hill Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us earlier this month and for briefly sharing your experience on tripadvisor. We are glad that you found our rates to be very reasonable, especially on the weekends, and that our suburban community appealed to you as well. We hope that we have the opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I discovered the Best Western in New Providence by accident several years ago. Since that time, I have made several trips to northern New Jersey and always stay there for its convenience, amenities, friendly staff. In short, a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We always appreciate it when our guests take the time to share their thoughts on tripadvisor, and we are thrilled that we are your preferred hotel in northern New Jersey! Our convenient location, amenities and friendly staff are recognized by many of our guests and we are glad that you also had a similar experience. Sharing your "very pleasant experience" with others means a lot to us so thank you again for recognizing our efforts.
Livingston, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had an extended stay at the hotel in 2013, and the staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. Our room was large (the hotel has at least one suite). The hotel has a very convenient location and we will return in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much for staying with us earlier this month and for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. We are glad that you found the location of the hotel to be convenient and that the staff provided superior customer care during your time with us. It is very satisfying to know that another one of our extended stay customers enjoyed our hospitality. We hope that you do in fact get an opportunity to return to New Providence and stay with us again.
Virginia
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I just completed my third separate stay over several years at the Best Western Plus, New Providence, and realized I have never reviewed the property before. I have stayed here as I have family in town, and this is the closest, most convenient hotel.

As stated, we spent one night here in mid-July 2013. The hotel is always clean, though its age is definitely showing. Check-in was fine, but , as usual, there was a large wedding party staying at the hotel. It seems as though every time I stay, there is a block of wedding rooms. That is not a problem, except for the noise it generates. See below.

The rooms are standard fare -- not too large and not too small. Furniture is a good shape, though the mattresses are too soft for my taste. I'm not sure if that is a sign of age or simply the type of mattress they purchase.

My complaints about this particular stay revolve around the room climate control and noise. Admittedly it was a very humid weekend, but even with our A/C wall unit running at full bore, it was unable to remove the moisture for our room. The inside of the windows were fogged and dripping, and the comforters and sheets were literally damp. As an example, I brought a newspaper into the room when we checked in around 6:00pm. When we returned around three hours later, the paper was so wet, the pages were stuck together. None of us felt very fresh, and were honestly happy to leave the room in the morning, to get away from the dampness.

The other issue is noise, and the hotel cannot be fully faulted for this. As could be expected with large wedding parties, we had two cases during the night of very loud and obviously drunk people walking through the halls making lots of noise. At 3:00am and again at 4:00am, there were a couple people banging on doors close by, shouting profanities. When it started at 3:00am, I was going to call the desk, but then it stopped. Same thing happened at 4:00am. As it was, I never got back to sleep after the second profanity-laced interruption, so I gave up on sleep.

The bright spot of the stay remained the complimentary breakfast. A warm and cold buffet is served in the restaurant, and it is a clear notch above most other mid-line complimentary breakfasts.

If you want to be in New Providence, this is your only option. I'll think twice about staying here in the summer, again, and I'll bring earplugs next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NellieVA
Kerry L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Murray Hill Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us, and for sharing your recent experience on TripAdvisor. Your comments covered a few different areas within the hotel and I would like to briefly respond to each of them. I am pleased to see that you have stayed with us a few times in the past because of our convenient location, and our goal is to have to select us on your next visit to the area because of our superior customer care and the overall experience.

Your comment that our rooms are “standard fare” is something that we are in the process of addressing with ongoing renovations and updates to guest rooms and public areas. At present, we are completely updating the guest bathrooms and our next phase includes furniture and fixtures in the rooms. Incidentally, the room you occupied with the “soft” mattress is equipped with a pillowtop style so we have noted in your guest profile that you prefer a firm mattress.

We have also addressed your concern about the humidity level in your room by replacing the air conditioning unit since it was not operating according to specifications. I am very sorry for any discomfort you experienced as a result of this malfunction.

You also commented on a couple of isolated incidents regarding loud guests walking the halls and making noise. While a certain level of activity is expected with wedding parties, we do not tolerate disruptive behavior once it is brought to our attention. I am sorry that we were not made aware of this disturbance near your room because we would have done our utmost to rectify the situation.

I am pleased to see that a “bright spot” of your stay was the complimentary breakfast because we know how important this value is to our guests. I want to also thank you for recognizing the efforts of the housekeeping staff to prepare each room for arrival in a clean manner. Thank you again for your comments during your recent visit and look forward to having you stay with us in the future.
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Charged 2 unauthorized rooms to my credit card, very rude and unprofessional! Apparantly the staff doesnt know what they are doing and lies to back up the managers lies. I filed a complaint and the manager lied about the cause for the charges, giving 3 different stories! I was doubled charged for rooms of individuals that had appeared and paid themselves. Currently disputing the charges.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank LH0622
Kerry L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Murray Hill Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
As stated during our many conversations following your stay, all charges submitted were previously authorized, and processed according to standard hotel protocol. Furthermore, our records do not reflect any "double charge" rooms as you stated, and any such claim is completely inaccurate. it is your prerogative to dispute the charges and I am confident that all payments to this hotel were accurate, and will be substantiated when challenged.

Kerry Lee, GM
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was referred this hotel from my customer assuring that this hotel was of high standards and would provide a pleasant stay while traveling for some business meetings. This hotel did not meet those standards at all. When I checked in on a Monday and received my room # I at first thought the room was ok. It was spacious, a flat screen TV, and a nice made up bed. I pulled back the sheet of the bed and noticed nice clean white sheets. In the morning when I was getting ready I had my items on the bed and realized there was a dark stain. At first I thought is was a shadow and paid no mind to it because I had all my toiletries on the bed. Tuesday evening when I pulled back the sheets I noticed this spot again but there were no toiletries on the bed so it couldn't be a shadow. I began to smooth over the spot on the bed and pulled the sheet up slightly to see if it was on the sheet or under. That is when I realized the spot wasn't on the sheet but under the sheet. I immediately began to wonder what the heck is that under the sheet. Wed morning I still saw this spot but staying clear of the spot and not wanting to reveal what is under the sheet. In my mind I honestly felt that I was going crazy and when I would return back to the hotel the suspicious stain would be gone. Well that didn't quite happen, when I returned back to the hotel Wed. evening the spot was still there...So I finally couldn't take it any longer and pulled the sheet back. I saw a huge dried blood stain! Completely grossed out at this point because I realized I have been laying on top of someone's bodily fluids made me uneasy and I knew my sleep for the evening was not going to be pleasant. Also keep in mind there was only one bed in the room a king bed so I still had to sleep in this bed. Also I didn't want have housekeeping etc. in my room since it was after 11pm when I discovered the truth! So I proceeded to place pillows all around the bed to ensure I would not roll over on this spot and when I got up in the AM after tossing and turning all night I notified the front desk who in turn let me speak to a manager. I am leaving out that I took pictures and of course texted those pics to all my friends and family to see there response, and everyone was like OH MY GOODNESS you can't be serious...

The manager saw the pictures and actually explained to me how clean and highly rated the hotel is and that they were just updated on this high standard score yesterday and had a huge meeting to boot. Also mentioned I should have said something sooner, etc. but you see why the delay to report on my end above and honestly that made me a little more upset because the cleaning staff made up the bed MONDAY, TUESDAY, and WED and never made the switch! As you can imagine I really didn't care what he was talking about because at the end of the day I have evidence and perhaps the reviews of rooms at this hotel is just limited to one out of all the rooms. The manager ensured me he would take a look at the room and follow up on this, blah blah blah. No talk of a reimbursement, no what can we do to ensure that this doesn't impact future stays with our brand...nothing.

Of course this is just my review, my co-workers also experienced a problem with creepy bugs (caterpillar type, worm type in his room), a TV that was only in Spanish and no way to change he even reported this issue as well, my TV always had the cc on which was frustrating to have to turn off every time I turned on the TV and it was multiple clicks to disable. The room had no TV guide so you had to go through all channels to find one you wanted.... So I could go on and on, the short end of this is that I passed on the picture to my customer and they were completely sympathetic and ensured they would not recommend future folks to stay there and that I could stay at another desired hotel closer to the office :).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cutemommy
Kerry L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Murray Hill Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
While we were very pleased to see that our reputation for hospitality and cleanliness preceded your visit to our hotel, I certainly regret that we did not demonstrate this when preparing your room for arrival. I would like to apologize again for this unacceptable incident that you experienced during your recent stay.
Clearly, my staff and I are responsible for the stain that you found on your mattress pad. It is unfortunate that this problem was not recognized and remedied immediately. Your comments are understandable; however several misconceptions deserve explanation, not excuse. To begin with, Boyle Hotels cleanliness standards for bedding include the washing of every mattress pad prior to a guest room being occupied by a new guest. I am not aware of any other hotel company that has this standard. I mention this point so that you will realize that the stained mattress pad had been washed prior to your arrival. What is unacceptable is that the stained mattress pad had not been discarded and replaced according to our housekeeping procedures. Again, this oversight is upsetting, but please know that the stained mattress pad had been cleaned.
You also commented on the fact that the room attendant did not "switch" out the linen and while it might be of little consolation, I do have an explanation for this concern as well. As an Eco-Friendly hotel, we strive for energy efficiency and that is why we have implemented a linen service program designed to accommodate the requests of our guests. A "conservation commitment" card is placed against the pillow in each room and it invites the guest to choose whether laundering of the linen is necessary or not. A guest preferring full service is instructed to return this card to the original placement against the pillow, and the room attendant will act accordingly. In your case, the "conservation commitment" card was not left on the bed so the room attendant interpreted that to mean that you did not want your linen changed or laundered. Certainly, I do not bring this point up here as an excuse, but rather to clarify that your linen for this reason had not been changed.
As for your frustration with the lack of a TV guide in the room, I am sorry that the channel listings on the TV itself did not meet your expectations. We offer over 100 channels for our guests and have felt that it might be more convenient for a scrolling listing on the TV instead of an additional piece of collateral material on a nightstand.
On behalf of the entire staff at the hotel, I would like to apologize for not providing a positive experience during your stay and would welcome an opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your concerns.
Kerry Lee
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for four nights for medical purposes, requiring hospital stay and multiple medical appointments. This hotel offers a discount and is incredibly sensitive to medical situations. This is my second stay for same purposes. The management and staff work together to take care of your personal situations. I would use this hotel for other purposes as well.

However, I do find the restaurant to not be up to the overall standards of the Hotel. The staff are great there, including Room Service, but the food is not of high quality. (Except for Ceasar Salad which is super.) The entrees and sandwiches are almost undedible due to highly salted. After 2 stays for a total of 7 days using the restaurant, I think the hotel needs to work on this aspect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kerry L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Murray Hill Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you recognized the team effort by the staff to make you and your family comfortable during your most recent stay. Recognizing the special needs of our guests is something we strive for and we are glad to have exceeded your expectations. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the food service at the hotel and we will be addressing your specific comments. We look forward to having you stay with us during your next trip to the New Providence area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Providence
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn
Hilton Short Hills
Hilton Short Hills
#1 of 1 in Short Hills

Been to Best Western Plus Murray Hill Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!