“Is this really in New Jersey?”
Review of dim sum villa

dim sum villa
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Takeout
Description: Upscale authentic Cantonese Style dine in restaurant, featuring on site freshly prepared dim sum appetizers and Cantonese entrees. Guests are welcomed to bring their own wine to enjoy during their dining experience.
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Tucked in a strip mall in New Providence is a new restaurant with excellent, well prepared food.The menu is diverse and has the usual and quite interesting, unique options. I grew up near Chinatown and spent many years enjoying all different restaurants there. This restaurant can compete with Chinatown's best for food quality and preparation.The dim sum is truly authentic, well executed and quite beautifully presented. Expect to pay more for the fine ingredients and good service. It's well worth it!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I've been to Dim Sum Villa twice. Once for dinner when we only ordered on dim sum bun for an appetizer and a second time for Sunday Dim Sum brunch.

The entrees were not prepared to your preferences, although the food is likely authentic. The place is called Dim Sum Villa for a reason, I found the Dim Sum superb during Sunday brunch. They serve dim sum for dinner, but it is a la carte. The items are on the menu, I highly recommend ordering them. Sundays they come around with the large carts with all sorts of dim sum for the picking.

I plan to go back for dinner and only order dim sum :-) And... to go for Sunday brunch again.

Emily K, Owner at dim sum villa, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the dim sum. Please be reassured that every entree is made to order and can be prepared to each individual's preference. As long as you let the waitstaff know your particular request(s), they will communicate it to the chefs and we will do our best to cater to your preference. I look forward to serving you and your guests again soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We did take out here looking for a new Chinese place and were really disappointed . The dumplings were undercooked , the sesame chicken was too hard to eat without a knife and tasteless, the lo main oversalted and the green beans tasteless. Even the rice was off.

I regret that you had such a negative experience with the food that we serve. I have taken your detailed feedback to my chefs, as I have not heard these issues from other clientele. Our dumplings are all freshly prepared onsite, from the dumpling wrapper to the ingredients within, and are prepared to order. Our sesame chicken is made purely of white meat chicken, glazed with our homemade sauce. Our lo mein is stir fried and seasoned with a hint of soy sauce for flavor. And lastly, each string beans portion is never over cooked so it remains crisp and tasty. I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We visited this place for dinner, didn't really have a chance to try dim sums, but shrimp and scallops with Chinese broccoli was very good - not overcooked, just perfect! I'd even say this was the best chinese food you can get in the area. Service could be better, having green tea and free refills of it would add a nice touch as well. Definitely recommend.

Thank you for expressing your appreciation for the fresh and quality food that I strive to serve within the neighborhood. I hope you will have the opportunity to try the dim sum in the near future, as all the dumpling selections are prepared fresh onsite. Thank you for bringing to my attention that service can be improved. Since your review, I have had management meetings with the staff to better coach and educate them on proper service etiquette. It will be a key item on my list for continuous improvement. Thank you again.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Came last Saturday evening around 7:30p. The owner Emily is a warm and engaging host. Her recommendations were wonderful- the pan fried noodles with chicken & beef was delicious and the shrimp and scallops with peaches and snap peas was divine! I recommend you give this place a try!