“Could be a great hotel”

Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My wife and I visited this hotel on a "romantic weekend" away from the kids. The beds are comfortable and the hotel staff at the front desk seemed very nice and accommodating. My wife and I planned to attend a concert but we got wrapped up in going to a great local restaurant, Nova Terra (with some shopping beforehand). Let me tell you, this hotel is in a great location - especially for the price. A few areas of concern: I think the drinking water in the room should be complimentary and the rooms al little more spacious. Also the garage is horrible. Its dimly lit and when we went to leave, the guy (scary as he seemed) in the booth only accepted cash - so I had to rustle through the car to find change to pay.
With the exception of these small things, the hotel could be a real gem of a find to stay at.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 28, 2009

The room was acceptably clean and in good condition. The bed was very comfortable. The television was a flat screen and everything worked properly.
The room service was prompt and the grilled salmon over a bed of lettuce was fresh, lean and filling. The taco soup was okay.
The train station is a five minute walk and a 20 minute express commute to the Newark airport.
Within three minutes walk there is one of the best seafood restaurants bar none! Due Mari 78 Albany Street. Fresh scallops with great flavor and firm. The brussel sprout /squash along with sauces made for a combination of flavors that were heavenly!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2009

My wife and I stayed there for a one-night trip, for relaxation and to visit friends. The parking garage is very poorly lighted and a disgrace. As we discovered in our room, the curtains and the sofa were stained with unmentionable colors. The restaurant downstairs had very good food, but the service was exceptionally slow. At least our server was very kind and a polite young lady. The key locks are very poorly designed and not very functional. Getting help to enter our room was next to impossible. The following morning, we wanted coffee from the coffee bar. We had to ask for room service to deliver more cups to the room. Also, the creamers and sugars were not in the room. That is not the way to manage a hotel. The room was a little dusty and bothered our allergies. Two positives were the flat-screen TV and the shower. The hotel should offer a continental breaskfast for the guests. We would stay there again if we visit the area.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt for New Years Eve and to all who are reading this, a very happy New Year to you.

I want to preface this review by saying that dearest girlfriend and I are not particularly picky or snobbish travelers. We travel a quite a bit and realize that things happen and it is better to take it in stride rather than ruin a trip. Clean rooms, a courteous staff, and some decent food is pretty much all that we ask for. Our experience here informed us of one more requirement that we have always taken for granted. It seems the Hyatt had neglected one small detail. They showed us that a trip, even an overnight stay, can be ruined by --- An appalling lack of management anywhere on the property.

Let's begin at the beginning.

Check in was slow. Very slow. The hotel was hosting a party that night and the front desk was overwhelmed. Each check in seemed to take forever. Now, the folks manning the front desk were, under the circumstances, doing the best they could. But a manager might have been able to step in and tell them that it is not necessary to inform each guest of every amenity that the hotel has to offer. When the line is 10 deep, each guest does not need to be informed that the hotel has a fitness center (exactly which hotel doesn't?) or to playfully ask what the guest's New Years resolution is (to get a room here before midnight?)

Aged a bit, like fine wine, we eventually checked in and headed off to our booked suite with a balcony. It was lovely except for the not having a balcony part. OK, maybe we are a little picky, but we like to have a place to step outside for some fresh air and to let some in the room. So, backward we went to check in. We waited, comparing notes on each guests resolution and eventually got ourselves downgraded to a regular room with a balcony ($189 and they did adjust the bill for the lower priced room). Everything was fine. Everything in stride.

And if that were the end of the story, this review would not have been written.

We had reservations at a local restaurant for 7pm. At 6:15 I jumped in the shower. This is not a figure of speech, I literally jumped in the shower. No hot water. We wrote it off to too many people taking showers at once to prepare for the hotel's party. No big deal. All in stride.

It was nastily cold that night. Even thermometers were afraid to go outside. We had a great dinner at Steakhouse 85, six stars out of five. And were looking forward to a nice hot shower when we got back. We got back to our room at about 11 to find a note from the "Executive Assistant Manager of Rooms" that there was no hot water. Not to worry, guests! A replacement part will surely be here by Friday! (It was Wednesday).

Full disclosure, fellow travelers. I manage a company nearby and I make absolutely sure that I have critical parts for every piece of machinery sitting on a shelf. But there are always oversights, as I said, things happen. However, were it me or any member of my staff at that hotel, there would not be a plumber, HVAC tech or whoever might have been needed, woken up on New Years Eve and, at whatever cost, a problem like that would be fixed two minutes before immediately. Also, were I the manager, I never would have let a note like that go out over anyone's signature but mine, not an executive assistant of something or other. A manager knows that "this is my responsibility and that this is my name".

Not to worry, all in stride, Friday's good enough for hot water at the Hyatt.

(Just a note on timing of the above. I knew there was no hot water at 6:15 and probably wasn't the first. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but 45 minutes later as we were leaving for dinner, they were still checking people in. Were they not giving them a heads-up that the water heater was broken? A lot of people who were going to the hotel party looked like they just got off of work and were planning to take a shower before going. And we got informed at 11pm that they would arrange alternate accommodations at another hotel. Again, as a manager, I would tell people right away, not after I had maximized my revenue for the night)

So our heroes snoozed their way through the night and woke up to a brand new year.

And that's when absent and apathetic management turned into irresponsible management. My love and best friend volunteered to go down to the lobby to get us some coffee. As she told it, there were some young gentlemen playing pool in the bar. Clearly drunk and yelling and screaming obscenities at 8:30 in the morning. She asked the two servers about these men of refined character and they responded with shrugs and "they've been at it for quite a while".

Once again, an appalling lack of management. I can't fault the young ladies for not stepping in. Yet, they should have been able to find someone who could shut nonsense like this down quickly. Being honest - My sweetheart and I never felt threatened in any way. But to the absent management of Hyatt, please don't let a match burn and then act surprised when a fire starts.

And, stride broken, I unburden on you, gentle traveler.

Sad to say, my company was planning customer events in the area and the Hyatt was a natural choice..Tommorow, I will let my Marketing Manager know that these events will not happen at the Hyatt. In times like these, my company treats every single customer as a precious treasure. Mediocrity is not an option.

Apparently, at the Hyatt New Brunswick, mediocrity has become policy.

The Hyatt New Brunswick is on my "To Don't" list until I hear that the management has been replaced. They should be fired wholesale, although they might be difficult to find. The last place I'd look for them is at the hotel.

And, if you were wondering, not a nickel of discount showed up on my bill. This was a full price boat all the way. As I checked out, I borrowed a word from our pool shooting gentleman. I'm not proud of it but, it summed up my feelings nicely and succinctly. It's in the dictionary, after the E's.

Good travel to you

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SteveandSaraG
Reviewed December 18, 2008

The lobby was loud, yet attractive in a modern-art kind of way. But I couldn't believe all of the problems in my room - TV remote wasn't working; couldn't change channels manually; air vent in bathroom was very loud; wake up call came at 5am rather than the requested 8am (then, when I was awakened, I politely asked them to change it to 8am - I was not awakened at all). Air conditioner did not seem to be responsive. At least the bed and the chair by the desk were comfortable. And tes, the location is great, right by the river, adjacent from Highland Park and a few blocks from RWJ University Hospital.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on Fr & Sat Oct 24 & Oct 25, 2008. First off its alittle hard to find due to intense construction traffic outside of the hotel on the major hwy. Once you figure out the way around, it gets easy to locate areas of interest. I recommend having a car though. The parking garage charges a small fee but it has someone in it 24 hrs and its very safe and clean.The hotel is so beautiful, the housekeeping staff does an outstanding job cleaning the rooms and the rooms are tastefully decorated and a good size. I paid 129.00 because I was attending a wedding held on Sat night. However I was not promised what I had booked long ago for. My requests were very simple to. I was traveling alone and was told a block of rooms were set aside for guests attending the wedding on Sat night. When I checked in I was told different that guests were spread far apart. I wanted to be close to some of the guests because I was traveling & staying alone. I did not want to be placed way out away from everyone. I arrived early in the afternoon to so I figured the rooms were not booked up yet. The first room they put me in was not the correct type one I booked long ago. It was lovely but it overlooked a big roof of the hotel. Not much to view but a big ugly roof & the city in the far distance. I needed a promised balcony door to open due to being very claustrophic. This room did not have what I was promised I would receive. The nice desk rep then placed me in another room with a balcony which was rm 415, It however overlooked the highway and the construction noise was really bad. The loud noise, beeping from the drump trucks backing up constantly went on 24 hrs at a time. The constuction noise was really bad but I tolerated it because I was desperate for a balcony door that opened. The desk rep was sweet and professional but however she never said the noise from this second room would would be very loud & intense highway construction building going on all day and all night. I think they should be honest to the guests telling them what the noise was coming from. I thought it was just regular highway traffic not intense construction noise. Again the room was nice and very clean and I did not want to complain about a second room so I dealt with the noise & did ok. The room was really lovely & clean. The second problem was there was a party being held in the restaurant on Friday Oct 24and I received a letter later in the day placed under my door stating we as guests could not use the restaurant due to being booked by a group or convention or party but we could had the opton sit in our rooms and order up room service. They stated in the letter we could call if it was a problem. But why? we couldn't change the fact the restaurant was booked up & we couldn't use it. I had just asked per phone call the day before check in if there was a restaurant on the grounds since I did not want to drive a rental car at night looking for a place to eat. They had to know the restaurant could not be used by hotel guests other than the party who booked it for the evening. I told the desk I was alone so I wanted to stay planted in this lovely hotel for the two day stay and not use my rental car to drive around at night. I felt the hotel should have been honest to me about the restaurant not being able to be used on Friday night. The third thing was I am handicapped and needed a chair to sit which there were few at the wedding cocktail time. I know they usually want you to mingle and not sit but I am unable to do so. I was told I would receive it small chair shortly by a staff member but it never came and I ended up leaning against a wall which sort of recked my night because I could hardly walk during the rest of the wedding & my visit days later in NJ. I just couldn't get anyone to bring me a chair. I kept being told they would find one but they never did. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms lovely & very clean and if you get a good price I would say stay here other than the problems I encountered it is a very nice hotel. The wedding held at the hotel was awesome and the food served delicious. The bar staff are great. All the staff are pretty well trained otherwise and very professional. I am usually very easy to please and this was my first problem in any hotel of sorts. But I guess I would still give Hyatt a second try. It did have alot of good points liked I said.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2008

To give you a sense, I'm a business traveler that spends more than 60 nights a year at hotels so I'm looking for places that are easy to get a good nights rest without hassle. This hotel is well decorated and comes across as being new, modern and clean. The lobby and rooms are well kept.

The problem here was more about comfort. First, the heating/cooling system didn't work. Not sure if they shut off the a/c ability, but despite setting the temperature down to 66 on the thermometer, the room never cooled off beyond 75. Second, what type of cheap, hard mattress does Hyatt buy? I'm a gold member at Marriott and love their soft beds. This one felt like a cheap crib matttress. Third, the hallway doors for each room were extremely heavy and frequently SLAMED shut all night long up and down the hallway which was a major disruption to a good night sleep. These three factors, however were overshadowed by the BUS DEPOT-like noise coming all night long from the street. This hotel is located right at the exit ramp to a frequently traveled highway for public transportation buses. From a third floor window every 15 minutes all night long I felt like the bus was rolling into my mattress. The windows provided no noise barrier and the room actually shook as bus after bus came and went with a stop right outside my window.

If you need to stay here just make sure you get a high room and don't face route 18!! Also check the thermostat before you unpack your bags...

Just a note- $13/night for parking...

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Brunswick
The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center
Hilton East Brunswick Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
Hampton Inn North Brunswick/New Brunswick
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset

Been to Hyatt Regency New Brunswick? Share your experiences!