“Very pleasant stay!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New Hartford, New York
“Very pleasant stay!”
Reviewed June 2, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hyatt in New Brunswick while visiting family. The hotel is very large (about 270 rooms). The lobby area is beautiful - very modern. Easy access from the parking garage ($6/day on weekends). The rooms are very nice and clean. They are large and comfortable - very well appointed. The bathroom had plenty of counter space (a biggie for me). The only drawback - the air conditioner was a little noisy at night - it made some noises each time it went on and off. Very quick and easy checkout. Very convenient to Rt 1. Overall, a great stay!

• Liked — Clean, modern rooms. Convenient to shopping,restaurants,etc.
  • Disliked — Noisy a/c at night. And we have to PAY for wireless access?? They need to join the other chains and make it free.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sillygyrl9990

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 20, 2008

The Hyatt in New Brunswick has definitely been one of my best hotel finds. I stumbled upon it by accident when one of my family members was admitted to the hospital there and I needed a place to stay.

What we love:

The location! It's a chic retreat only minutes off the NJ Turnpike.

The lobby and rooms are decorated in this very zen Asian/Scandinavian minimalist look. But it's not stark and cold, it's exciting, clean, modern and welcoming. The rooms are not huge, but they offer very comfortable beds, flat screen tvs and pretty bathrooms with glass tiles in the shower.

We really like the food in the hotel restaurant, the Glass Woods Tavern. The dining room contains glass walls with birch trees etched into them, and beautiful pine furniture. The restaurant offers classy comfort food such as roast chicken, grilled pork chops, etc. and all come with heaping mashed potatoes. The restaurant also handles the room service there, and unlike some places we've stayed, the prices for room service were reasonable. We ordered dessert every night!

The lobby boasts what seems to be a very popular bar, and so the lobby can seem quite noisy in the evening. However, none of that noise ever reached the rooms we've stayed in.

What we don't like:
There is no internet in the rooms, which is a big faux pas for a business class hotel. They have a business center in the lobby, which requires you to swipe a credit card. I used the internet for less for approx 2 minutes and was charged $10.

I'm not crazy about the fact that we have to pay for parking here, but they only charge $6/night, and it's a covered lot.

Overall, we like this hotel very much. We've returned several times just to eat in the restaurant. Also, we've now made this hotel our alternative to staying in Manhattan after a late night event. When we don't feel like driving all the way back to Philadelphia, we drive 20 minutes to New Brunswick and pay 3 times less for a room than if we stayed in Manhattan.

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank swedefarer
California
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Being on a long business trip in many cities, I have been in charge of booking rooms for our team in the East Coast for a duration of 6 weeks. I thought the Hyatt in New Brunswick, with recent renovations, and it's close vicinity to restaurants and a "nightllfe" in walking distance would be a great stop on our trip. This hotel - as one of my coworkers coined is "ghetto fabulous". No customer service, absolutely rude, no house cleaning (or partial), and the bathroom functionality is in question. The walls are incredibly thin and you can hear your neighbors on the phone, watching TV, etc. The first room I was in was on a non-smoking floor, but had been smoked in. I was relocated to a room - but the shower head hung loose in the shower, and the tap did not work. No ability to get hot water. The ice machine room was flooded, and the laundry was dysfunctional. On a Saturday, I was in need of a conference room on Sunday and after repeated phone calls, misdirects, call forwards to only voicemail, and even being hung up on numerous times, I was told it was not possible to reserve a conference room on Sunday - because no one was in on the weekends in sales. What? How did they take room reservations on a Sat/Sun? Could they not do the same for a conference room? I finally resorted to send a representative of mine to the front desk and thought if we asked in person, we would get some kind of service. Wrong. The young, rude, and understaffed front desk treated her the same way I was treated on the phone. A number of my coworkers received UPS & Fed Ex packages and the hotel reception never notified them on their arrival - even when asked. The general treatment by reception was that we were not welcome at the hotel, and rather a pain in the.... to even expect to be spoken to, helped, or accommodated. My only positive review for this hotel is the restaurant/bar and bell service. They were incredibly lovely people and made dinner or drinks an enjoyable relief to the rest of the hotel experience. The management and the reception? Forget it.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank silopix
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I had meetings in both New Brunswick as well as Philadelphia, and this hotel was incredibly convenient--it's 30 minutes from Newark and just 3 miles off the New Jersey Turnpike.

The hotel (including room) looks like it was recently renovated, and despite there being several college bars across the street, the room was exceptionally quiet.

Self-parking was $13, and they charge the "standard" (for full-service hotels, anyway) $9.95 for high-speed Internet access.

• Liked — Clean and contemporary
  • Disliked — $13 for sell-parking
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Dorkydad
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed February 17, 2008

I've stayed at this hotel several years ago. Since my last stay, they have gone through a major renovation. First, the good. Great location. There are several restaurants within walking distance, and the hotel is a reasonable distance from Newark airport. The staff was great. Very helpful and willing to go out of their way to help out. Some of the renovations look great. The lobby, restaurant, and conference facilities are very nice. The rooms also have some nice new additions, like flat screen TVs.
Now for the bad. The renovations seem incomplete. Upon entering the room, I noticed the trim and frames were simply painted over. Now it looks like they have dozens of coats of paint. I would expect to see this in a hotel of lesser quality, not a Hyatt. The bathroom had a nice new look. But, the dark tile helped mask the presence of several long dark hairs that didn't belong to me. The grout work was messy. The toilets were awkward The toilet in my room was fitted with a booster seat. I'll spare you the details of problems this caused; just know that it is a VERY poor renovation feature. There is no hairdryer, and the plumbing underneath the sink is exposed and ugly. A couple of my towels had "Inspected by #" numbers on them. The carpet still seemed a little warn. I had a king bed, which was VERY uneven. One side was well warn and sunken, while the other side was nice and firm. Very awkward to sleep on. The room did come with a nice LCD/Plasma tv. But, no HD signal. So, the picture looked HORRIBLE. I would have preferred a regular CRT. The new furniture had a nice look, but was already showing nicks and scratches. Finally, the noise. I could hear toilets flushing in at least a dozen different rooms. The worst was the doors opening and closing for the neighboring room. Not only did this shake the walls, but rattled the door adjoining the two rooms.
Overall, an ok stay. I knocked off some stars because I expected more from a Hyatt, for the price, and for the poor renovations. I will probably stay here again, and will hope for a better room.

Stayed February 2008
Niagara Falls
Reviewed January 27, 2008

The Hyatt Regency in New Brunswick is an outstanding hotel. Conveniently located, the hotel obviously prides itself in keeping up to date as well as maintaining a high standard of cleanliness.

The staff is not overbearing and are available at all times.

The hotel restaurant is a nice place to relax although the menu appeared limited.

• Liked — The ideal location
  • Disliked — Paying for parking
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Stayed for one night at this Hyatt. The recent renovations make it feel like you are staying in a newly built hotel. They've done a very nice job updating the inside.

The room was really very nice. Flat screen tv, ultra clean bathroom and comfortable beds.

The staff was very helpful and accommodating. They let us have a late checkout without a hassle which is always nice.

One piece of advice about dining out, skip the hotel restaurant for dinner and go into downtown New Brunswick. There are a ton of really great places to eat.

• Liked — Very modern
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
Hampton Inn North Brunswick/New Brunswick
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset

Been to Hyatt Regency New Brunswick? Share your experiences!