“Service and Location were Top Notch”

Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
GreenLeadersBronze level
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Service and Location were Top Notch”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I just returned from attending a conference at Rutgers. The location of this hotel was excellent for me. I flew in to Newark and took the train to New Brunswick and the hotel is not even a half mile walk from the train station--no car/taxi necessary. I arrived quite early in the day--before 11am--and was able to check into my room! Nisha at the front desk was so helpful; I had been up since 3am and really needed a nap, so she found a great, quite room for me almost 4 hours before regular check in time. I was pretty grateful for that.

I managed to score a room rate (their "Business Plan" for AAA members) that was over $20 less per night than the conference rate AND included buffet breakfast, free internet and bottled water (at $3 a bottle, this was actually nice), so the price was extremely reasonable for a hotel this nice.
The fitness center was great; the equipment was newer than my gym at home and the pool and hot tub looked nice. It was fantastic to be within walking distance of both downtown New Brunswick and several of the Rutgers campuses. The area near the hotel seems to cater more towards young professionals than the undergraduate students, which was good for me; I work at a college so I like to be able to eat/drink at different locations than where my students hang out.

Only minor negatives: The internet was pretty slow in my room and the front desk didn't have my credit card authorization form (that my staff assistant had faxed several days ahead of time). Luckily, I had brought along the original, so this was taken care of quickly.

For me, the room was really nice. The bed was extremely comfortable and the rooms were in nice shape. The doors to the rooms were obviously old, but everything else had just been redone. It was definitely a full service hotel, which I don't stay in too often (since I usually travel with my young kids), so it was great to be somewhere with such nice service.

If you're in or near New Brunswick, I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice - once for a meeting and once for a conference. The location of the hotel is within walking distance of lots of restaurants, the Rutgers New Brunswick campus, and the train station. Both times I stayed at the hotel I was on the 4th floor in king rooms. The bed is plush & comfortable, the desk & chair are good for working, and the furniture (loveseat, chair, and coffee table) would easily accommodate a few people and a meal (take-out, room service, etc.). The bathrooms in both rooms were very clean and nicely appointed - the water pressure was good, there was plenty of room for my toiletries, and a full-size blow dryer is included. The only drawback of the rooms on both stays was the noise level. My first visit's room was close to the elevator and I could hear that very clearly all night. It's also close to two major roads and there is lots of honking. The second time, there were some strong winds coming through and they were incredibly loud on the 4th floor. Fortunately I travel with earplugs - I recommend them if you are a light sleeper. Additionally, there was a strong cold draft coming in from the sliding balcony doors.

I used the gym both times I was there. The gym includes dumbbells, a weight bench, treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, and stair-climbers (equipped with TVs), lots of weight machines, BOSUs, balls, mats, jump ropes, and probably a few things that I've overlooked. All of the equipment is clean and seems very new. There is a pool and a hot tub as well, but I didn't use those.

It's important to be aware of the fees. Wireless internet is $10/day, my parking (which was discounted with a conference fee) was $7 (regularly $13), and it's very expensive in the hotel restaurant (breakfast buffet is $18).

Overall, the hotel is very nice. The main spaces, rooms, and gym are clearly new and very well maintained. As long as you're prepared for the fees, I suspect you will enjoy your visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Prince George's County, Maryland
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights during a conference. Parking was discounted to $7/day, regularly $13/day. Internet was included, regularly $10/day per device. The hotel is pricey but with the beautiful upgrades and excellent service you pick and choose your battles. Check in was a breeze. Check out not so much but easy and although I was checking out of the hotel, the rep offered me an extra discounted day on parking since I was attending the post conference sessions for one more day. Nice touch. The concierge was amazing--Carmelo, love him! The rooms are decorated nicely and beds were comfy. The place is beautiful all around. The bar area and restaurant is nice too. I had a nice breakfast buffet for $20. Pricey I know but it's a hotel, what do you expect sometimes? It was really good. I wasn't feeling to well and Judy, a cook in the restuarant, offered to make me a nut mixture to munch on during the day. It was a life saver. She even checked on me prior to departing from breakfast to ensure I was ok. So sweet! The staff is great! You won't be disappointed. The location is central to downtown and Rutgers so you can walk to many restaurants, etc. I hope you find this review helpful.

• Stayed March 2013
Neshanic Station, New Jersey
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was in this hotel recently with some friends of friends and I was shocked at how nice it is inside now! Everything is updated, modern, and looks gorgeous...almost like it doesn't fit in with New Brunswick's rustic charm. One or two floors is still under construction, but the room we were in and the downstairs area were gorgeous. The staff is nice but they took an extremely long time to bring us a corkscrew. The wine and cheese they gave to the room (I was with special members) were good. Everything was clean and nice. It is very close to the George St. area of New Brunswick (all bars and restaurants easily walkable even in winter) and fairly close to the Easton Ave. area (still walkable but uncomfortable in winter).

Room Tip: Find out what floors are still under construction and avoid those...though we didn't hear any no...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I just started staying at this hotel due to it's location and convenient access to both the highway and train station...but find it old and dated.

Each time I've used the automated checkout, the folio has been wrong, necessitating long, frustrating calls to get the account corrected. I've got to work longer to get my client's billable work done because I'm spending 1/2 to an hour each stay correcting the Hyatt accounting errors. Now I just stand in line and do a physical check out to make sure the bill is correct - what a waste of time!!

Automated reservation is a total turn off. I stay in a hotel 50 weeks a year and NO ONE gives such awful service for repeat customers. I do not want to waste time telling some automated service all the details and then have to repeat it to the reservation clerk becuse the bot can't get it correct. Waste of my time!!

I was completely taken aback by how much the room was not condusive to the business traveller. I'm an average business traveller with my laptop, personal smart phone, Balckberry, aircard, e-reader. I spent 1/2 hour pulling all the furniture out and no plugs!!! Hardly any of the outlets I found seemed to be working. Every time I tried to plug anything in to the outlet by the desk, the plug just fell out...and you could see sparks of electricity trying to make contact with the plugs...scary and totally inconvenient.

I called and asked for a power strip, which they brought up, but that stll meant I had to get up to answer the offshore calls I get all night. They need some outlets near the bed, for goodness sakes.

On the upside, the staff at eateries were WONDERFUL...

Room Tip: The rooms by the elevator have terrible reception - if you are an NPR junkie like me, take the rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed March 7, 2013

So impressed by the service we were given. My sister recently got married in their Grand Ballroom. A thousands things can go wrong in a wedding, and having such a courteous staff made everything so much easier. Thank you so much for making the experience even more memorable :)
Also the rooms were very clean..just wished the internet was free.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
south river, nj
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel itself isn't as grand as other Hyatts Ive stayed at but for a quick night away its great. Teh tavern has good drinks and some good appetizers. The pool is usally empty and quiet. This hotle is near so much to do restaurants comedy clubs lounges. It is great for business conventions.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Brunswick
The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center
Hilton East Brunswick Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
Hampton Inn North Brunswick/New Brunswick
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center

Been to Hyatt Regency New Brunswick? Share your experiences!