“Comfortable Bed, and room. Very clean.”

The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
Steubenville, Ohio
“Comfortable Bed, and room. Very clean.”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I were there for a one night stay last weekend. The lobby is spacious and modern-very clean. The staff from the Bell boy to the front desk were friendly, helpful-without being pushy or insincere.

Our room was what we reserved and they even permitted us to check in early as a room was available. The rooms were clean, and average in size. The bathroom was a bit small-but certainly functional. Ample supplies and towels in the bathroom.

The air conditioner worked well. The coffee pot and coffee were great. The coffee was wonderful. I am not usually one who drinks or takes the time to make the coffee in the rooms-but this was definitely a good choice and was very tasty.

The beds were comfortable-this is a huge concern of mine. I, too, do not sleep well in hotels due to the beds. I would certainly return here just to sleep in the bed.

We were next to the employees room, as during the working hours we heard noise of buckets being moved and banged around; however this did stop after 5 PM and it was rather quiet. Some noise in the hall-during the day but minimal noise at night.

We were there for a gala and the food at the gala was salmon and filet. Both were wonderful-done perfectly. If this is the same food available for purchase-I would have no problems eating there!

Overall, we will certainly stay here in the future-definitely worth the visit.

Room Tip: Requesting a quiet room may help eliminate some of the noise in the hall or otherwise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I do apologize that our staff was noisy with their buckets during the day. I will inform them to keep the noise to a minimum as we do not want to disturb our guests. Next time you are in town and stay with us may I suggest you stop by Christopher’s Restaurant and Christopher's Bar as we have great menu selections to choose from. Again, I do apologize about the noise and thank you for your wonderful comments and great feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2013

went on a weekend getaway with my mom, my aunt and my cousin, the beds were comfortable, the room was nice and clean. Great location and a lot to look at and go see surroundings. nice gym, i thought the pool was a little small, looks are decieving on line lol. we thought there was a bigger pool in another room, but it didnt bother us the least bit, it just got full really fast. Other than that, it was a great time

Room Tip: great room and quiet
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for the positve review. I do apologize that the pool was smaller than you anticipated. We strive to provide great service and ensure every guest moment is an enjoyable one. Thank you again for the review and we look forward to a return visit.
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

I had a one night stay, the room was simple but elegant. Spacious enough. Staff was courteous and attentive. Beautiful view from the 9th floor of the Square and nearby theaters. Great location for walking to anything in downtown New Brunswick. Drawbacks: the 9th floor had a significant noise & vibration from (I believe) the air handlers. The hall was quite noisy, the room less so. I was not bothered by it, my husband found it annoying. There were fewer toiletry items provided than I've had at other similarly priced hotels. I was there for a special occasion, other area hotels have provided a complimentary item (champagne, strawberries, fruit basket) on similar occasions in the past, which this hotel did not.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Gdr1312
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I do apologize for any noise that may have disturbed your husband. I have our Facilities Department looking into the issue. Your comments are very much appreciated and we will look into everything you suggested. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.
NJ
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came up to New Brunswick to see a show at the State Theater and decided to stay overnight at The Heldrich. We are so glad we made that decision! We were thrilled to see that the theater was literally right across the street! We ate dinner at the hotel's restaurant (Christopher's) and both loved our meal! Since we were seeing a show at the theater, we got 20% off our dinner bill!
Our room was spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. We asked for an extra pillow and they brought us two! The front desk called us twice to make sure we got them. The staff is very polite and friendly.
The breakfast buffet the next morning at Christopher's was excellent! Only the pickiest person wouldn't be satisfied with the food selection. The restaurant staff was also very friendly!
The only disappointment was the parking situation. It's either valet service or garage parking around the corner. We chose the garage to save money but it was still an added expense. Lugging my bag wasn't great either!
Despite the parking situation, we would definitely stay at the Heldrich again the next time we come up for a show at the State Theater! The convenience, comfort and food won us over! I'll just make sure I bring a suitcase on wheels next time!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VCat12
Thank you for a wonderful review of your recent stay at The Heldrich. We were very delighted to read that you enjoyed yourselves. I will be sharing your comments with the staff and they will certainly appreciate it. Please come back and visit soon.
Albany, New York
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I loved this hotel. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are large, clean and nicely appointed. The bathroom was spotless and seemed newly renovated. For me, the BEST was that the heating system and the hallways are really QUIET. You will get a wonderful night's sleep here since the beds are also really comfortable. I never get good rest in a hotel, and this was a huge deal to me.

The best, though, was the wonderful staff. Each time you see a staff member, they ask if they can help you in any way. This is particularly true of the front desk. The valet parking is the same way - in fact after they parked my car I got a call in my room that I had left my iPhone in it, and they though it would be safer for me to remove it.

I can't comment on the restaurant because it was closed for renovations, but the bartender in the bar area had the same friendly demeanor as the rest of the staff.

It would be impossible not to have a totally pleasant and enjoyable experience with this hotel. I can't recommend it highly enough. I have never experienced a hotel where 100% of the staff is top notch. Nice work folks!

Room Tip: If you get a room above the 3rd floor you should not have street noise to contend with.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BetsyAlbany
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review. We strive to give our guest top notch service. It is refreshing to hear that we made your stay a most enjoyable one. Thank you again and we look forward to a return visit.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Staying here for a conference and hence on the rate of 149 per night for delux double. This means that the room is rather big which is fantastic. But the rate does not include breakfast. Other things are extra too - there is a pool but next to the fact that is tiny, sauna is not included and needs to be arranged and paid extra. I ended not using the pool as there are no showers either so did not seem at all hygienic. Location is great though and easy to reach the station and the university. My suggestion is to check other hotels as this one is overpriced.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Heldrich. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. I will be speaking to my team regarding your comments and hope to have some solutions in the near future. Thank you again for taking the time to let me know about your concerns
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Heldrich has a beautiful lobby that is trendy and sets the expectation for nice rooms and a good experience. But the lobby funnels guests into a cramped area to wait for the elevator. I did not choose an upgrade on their website reservation service. So the basic room was basic and needs attention to the details. Shower ceiling is peeling, the door to the hallway has a huge gap so you can hear everything and everyone passing in the hallway. Not exceptionally business friendly. Plugs are not handy and the closet space is small and cramped on either side of the TV. Maybe the more expensive rooms are better. The first night I went to the bar for a bite to eat. They were severely understaffed and the waiter was scarce. I waited 20 minutes for my check. The waiter was unapologetic and seemed disconnected to the concept of service. My client wanted us to meet at that same bar the next night. Same thing. The food was pretty good though. Love the flat breads they offer. For the price it was delicious. I never went to their full restaurant. When I took a walk around the area I could see that this was an excellent location. Right out the door there is a nice little neighborhood area with shops, theaters, and places to eat. But the Hyatt is just a few blocks away. I might try that next time.

Room Tip: Strongly consider and definitely explore the higher rate rooms. Maybe would have been a better exper...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LinGal2001
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience you recently had with us. I am sorry that things were up to standards while you stayed with us. I have shared your comments with the staff so that we can better service our guests. Again I do apologize for the experience you had with us but do hope that you try us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Brunswick
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
Hampton Inn North Brunswick/New Brunswick
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Staybridge Suites North Brunswick

Been to The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!