“Great location but not good value for money”

The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great location but not good value for money”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Staying here for a conference and hence on the rate of 149 per night for delux double. This means that the room is rather big which is fantastic. But the rate does not include breakfast. Other things are extra too - there is a pool but next to the fact that is tiny, sauna is not included and needs to be arranged and paid extra. I ended not using the pool as there are no showers either so did not seem at all hygienic. Location is great though and easy to reach the station and the university. My suggestion is to check other hotels as this one is overpriced.

• Stayed March 2013
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Heldrich. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. I will be speaking to my team regarding your comments and hope to have some solutions in the near future. Thank you again for taking the time to let me know about your concerns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Heldrich has a beautiful lobby that is trendy and sets the expectation for nice rooms and a good experience. But the lobby funnels guests into a cramped area to wait for the elevator. I did not choose an upgrade on their website reservation service. So the basic room was basic and needs attention to the details. Shower ceiling is peeling, the door to the hallway has a huge gap so you can hear everything and everyone passing in the hallway. Not exceptionally business friendly. Plugs are not handy and the closet space is small and cramped on either side of the TV. Maybe the more expensive rooms are better. The first night I went to the bar for a bite to eat. They were severely understaffed and the waiter was scarce. I waited 20 minutes for my check. The waiter was unapologetic and seemed disconnected to the concept of service. My client wanted us to meet at that same bar the next night. Same thing. The food was pretty good though. Love the flat breads they offer. For the price it was delicious. I never went to their full restaurant. When I took a walk around the area I could see that this was an excellent location. Right out the door there is a nice little neighborhood area with shops, theaters, and places to eat. But the Hyatt is just a few blocks away. I might try that next time.

Room Tip: Strongly consider and definitely explore the higher rate rooms. Maybe would have been a better exper...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LinGal2001
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience you recently had with us. I am sorry that things were up to standards while you stayed with us. I have shared your comments with the staff so that we can better service our guests. Again I do apologize for the experience you had with us but do hope that you try us again.
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed March 11, 2013

On New Years Eve my girlfriend and I stayed at the Heldrich for a wedding that took place in the ballroom of the hotel. While the lobby was busy during our arrival, the check in was quick and the staff were helpful. We arrived at our room to find it clean and comfortable.The wedding was great and the hotel provided consistent service throughout it. The next day we were allowed to check out late at 1 pm, which was perfect after the new years eve celebrations. While New Brunswick is a big college town with it's run down areas, this hotel and the surrounding businesses are pleasantly upscale.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of the Heldrich. I am glad that you enjoyed yourselves during the NYE wedding. NYE is a busy time for us and we strive to make everyone's stay a most enjoyable one. We do hope you visit us again soon.
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This looks as if it should be a great hotel - and much is - but I have to say I was disappointed. There was no plug in my bath - not just a simple plug, but an entire plug assembly. Someone should have noticed. The light switch inside the room didn't work. In the morning there was insufficient hot water for a bath - it was tepid.... And breakfast was all a bit lacklustre.
So - it should be wonderful. I'm sure it was. maybe it will be. But it isn't now...
(Though I have no complaints about the staff)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments about your experience here at The Heldrich. I will be sharing your experience with our staff so that we can make the necessary improvements. We hope that you give us another opportunity the next time you are in the area.
Houston, TX
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very nice and new feeling. It sits at a popular intersection at a town square sort of corner. Within walking distance are several very good restaurants or bars. The theaters are directly across the street. The hotel itself is modern enough and does have free wifi. The bars and restaurants inside the hotel are nice and have a good vibe. New Brunswick is a sleepy little town during the week, but the hotel is a great place to stay if you'll be in this town. Staff was very helpful and always accessible. The rooms are comfy and equipped well enough. The tvs aren't flat panels but are built into the wall unit and nice enough. Nothing to blow me away here, but definitely nothing to complain about. Probably the best hotel for the price paid that I've stayed in.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the hotel. I am glad that you found us and we are certainly always trying to improve. Your comments will help us get to where we need to be. We will certainly look into the TV situation. Thank you and please come visit us soon.
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely loved this hotel. Great location. Very clean, dog friendly, great customer service. Would definitely spend the night again. Room had a very nice view of new Brunswick. Great atmosphere. Very relaxing

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about The Heldrich. We take pride in being pet friendly as we know there are those that cannot leave their family behind. Please come visit us again soon.
Mayaguez
Reviewed March 4, 2013

within walking distance of the train station and also walking distance to many good restaurants. I have stayed while visiting Rutgers; and they have a special rate for Rutgers visitors. The university is easily accessible through a bus that stops right across from the hotel. The hotel is comfortable and clean. The heated swimming pool and exercise areas are also a plus. Good service on both occasions that I stayed. On one of the occasions I had to ask to be relocated since there was a big noisy party next door, and they made the change immediately.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review of The Heldrich. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and our staff was helpful during your stay with us. Please come and visit us soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Brunswick
Hampton Inn North Brunswick/New Brunswick
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center

Been to The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!